SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:13 PM   #1
IcanGlide
IcanGlide is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Disney Response Part II

I've just received the second response to my inquiry from Disney that started a couple of months ago. Here it is in it's entirety:

Dear Mr. Sumner:

This letter is in further response to your recent inquiries regarding the use of Segways in our theme parks. As previously indicated, we are unable to permit the use of two-wheeled personal transportation vehicles by guests in our theme parks.

Your contention that our Company is in violation of Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act is simply inaccurate. One need look no further than the Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines to see that the rules regarding accessibility deal with the accommodation of wheelchairs. There are no rules for the accommodation of two-wheeled personal transportation vehicles. Nor has the Department of Justice issued an opinion that Title III of the ADA requires accommodation of these devices.

We assume you are aware that even the manufacturer of Segway, a self balancing, electric powered transportation device, has repeatedly cautioned in various written materials that the device “has not been designed, tested or approved as a medical device.” Further, it warns that the user “must be able to step on and off the Segway HT unassisted, which requires physical abilities similar to ascending and descending stairs without assistance, and without holding a handrail.” Pointedly, the inventor of both the Segway and the Independent IBOT Mobility System (an upright wheelchair approved by the Food and Drug Administration as a medical device) never sought such approval for the Segway.

It should go without saying that those who use wheelchairs and electric scooters are highly valued guests. Disney has long been a leader in the industry in creating accessible and magical experiences for guests with disabilities, designing new attractions and modifying older ones to provide common wheelchair access or transfer onto the ride vehicle. We have shared these innovative designs with our competitors as well as the U.S. Access Board. Our engineers have spent thousands of hours over many years working with the U.S. Access Board in the creation of rules for the amusement industry so that persons with disabilities can have greater access to places of amusement throughout the United States. In our theme parks, we have provided guidebooks for guests with disabilities which set out many of the services we offer. Among other things, these services include information on ride access, Braille guidebooks and maps, audiotapes, accommodations for service animals, assistive listening systems, reflective captioning in theater-type venues, video captioning, and sign language interpretation. We have also invented a handheld captioning system that displays text in attractions so that our guests with hearing disabilities can enjoy the show in “real time.” We offer wheelchair accessible miniature golf courses and accessible slides at our water parks. Electric scooters are available for rent at each of our theme parks. We have received many awards and honors for the measures we have taken to provide services for our guests with disabilities, two of which are the Chairman’s Award presented to us by the U.S. Access Board and a National Access award from Self Help for Hard of Hearing People.

In short, we have a good deal of experience and a good basis for judgment about the best interests of all our guests. And, in that regard, our commitment to safety is also a Disney hallmark. In fact, safety is the first of four quality standards – safety, courtesy, show and efficiency – that guide all of our operational decisions. The ordinary walking speed for an able-bodied pedestrian is generally between two and four miles per hour. Segways can operate at speeds far in excess of the ordinary pedestrian walking speed. Our theme parks entertain a diverse range of guests, including families with toddlers and elderly persons. Some guests have sight, hearing, mental or mobility disabilities. Some use assistive devices such as scooters, wheelchairs, hearing aids, or use service animals. All traverse pedestrian walkways. It has been our longstanding policy to disallow two-wheeled vehicles since their speed and maneuverability compromise the safety of these pedestrians. For instance, toddlers dart unexpectedly towards whatever captures their attention at the time; elderly guests may not be able to move out of the way of vehicles as quickly as they once did; and guests with vision or hearing disabilities may not be able to identify or react to the unexpected risks of vehicular traffic. Two-wheeled vehicles are not generally expected to be found in pedestrian walkways or crowded theme parks. Many states, municipalities and private facilities such as shopping malls, as well as many countries in Europe and Asia have banned Segways and other two-wheeled vehicles from sidewalks and common areas because of safety concerns.

We believe our policy is well-founded and hope that while you may still disagree with it, you at least appreciate our view about making responsible accommodations that take into account the safety of all our guests, including those with disabilities.

Very truly yours,
Bob Minnick
Technical Director, Global Accessibility and Facility Safety

And yet they are safe enough for their staff to use.

Universal Studios here I come.

Frank
Old 04-06-2007, 10:39 PM   #2
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Nora and I were at Disney in February, and two Segways (i167s) zipped by us and went on their merry way (they were definitely not on the beginner key).

Again, such hypocrisy.

She and I were both saying what Frank said: "And yet they are safe enough for their staff to use," after EVERY line in the fifth paragraph of Disney's letter.

-Sal
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
cruiter
cruiter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

While I believe it is inherently the parks right to decide provided they do provide other devices such as wheel chairs, their line "Two-wheeled vehicles are not generally expected to be found in pedestrian walkways or crowded theme parks. Many states, municipalities and private facilities such as shopping malls, as well as many countries in Europe and Asia have banned Segways and other two-wheeled vehicles from sidewalks and common areas because of safety concerns.
"
in the 5th paragraph implies IMHO, that those that do allow these are the minority. It's just not so!!! Doesn't Unerversal allow them? Don't "Most" states allow them on sidewalks? And don't only a "few" European nations have issues? And don't most of those have the issue under review at the present? If they had said instead, Most states allow them on sidewalks with listed exceptions and Most European nations allow them on Sidewalks, instead of the word "Many", how valid would their argument have been?

My take

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
Nora and I were at Disney in February, and two Segways (i167s) zipped by us and went on their merry way (they were definitely not on the beginner key).

Again, such hypocrisy.

She and I were both saying what Frank said: "And yet they are safe enough for their staff to use," after EVERY line in the fifth paragraph of Disney's letter.

-Sal

" We know that communication is a problem, but the company is not going to discuss it with the employees." (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long Lines Division)
cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Talking

Funny stuff.

We will see.

Be Big,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Ronda
Ronda is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Humble opinion, being what it is...

My husband Bob and I are considering a short trip to Orlando to visit our son. Bob uses a Quickie P200 (power chair) for accessibility purposes due to quadriplegia. The Quickie has a max speed topping out at 8 mph. Trust me, it was an honest mistake not to have planted speed bumps in our home. More than once the dogs have had to jump aside as Bob revs up his Quickie to zip from one end of the house to the other.

Within days I'm expecting an i2 who will be christened: "Pony". In my furry little brain it would be absolutely grand if Pony could accompany us for a day or two in Disney World. But alas, the good people at Disney fear that Pony will be capable of galloping in excess of the typical walking speed and therefore is an inherant risk to pedestrians, etc.

Thank goodness there are thoughtful folks like my husband who would never entertain the thought of ramming the backsides of little old ladies or knocking over sweet innocent cherubs while cruising at the full speed capabilities of his Quickie!

Quite the picture in your mind's eye, isn't it? You get my point.

One last little paragraph before I sign off. Great bunch of folks on this board, by the way. Only a mere month ago I signed up for a Segway tour. The guide outfitted me in full gear consisting of helmet plus elbow and knee pads in anticipation of learning how to maneuver a sleek x2. The other four tourists (Taiwainese students) giggled at my glee as we traversed rocky terrain up and down hills and glided our way through a beautiful abandoned botanical garden. The famous Segway grin remained plastered on my 53-years young face. That is, until I learned the price tag of the x2. Gasp! Gag! The initial sticker shock gave way to visions of empathasizing with Ralphie and his illusive dream... a Red-Ryder-Carbine-Action-200-Shot-Range-Model-Air-Rifle. I've worked too hard for too many years, put 101% into raising two kids up right, plus lovingly devoted quite a few years assisting my husband. Adequate rationaization, right? Oh, let's add in a bit of elation that I'm a lucky survivor of 2 cancers plus half a dozen other health concerns. Baldness isn't becoming of a woman. Life is much too short. Age catches up with us much too young. Okay, back to the story. The fun factor of that first Segway glide compensated for the gasping and gagging. The real decision became: x2 or i2? My heart yearned for the x2 with visions of leaving flying dust on the woodsy trails near home. I'd wear a helmet (of course!) and otherwise conduct myself in the manner expected of a middle-aged woman. Well, most of the time at least. Sigh. My head logically insisted an i2 would be less likely to keep my family and friends from envisioning grey matter smatter.

North Georgia, get ready for a new Pony! May she one day glide side by side a black and teal Quickie in the wonderful world of Disney.
Ronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 07:07 PM   #6
ArtL
ArtL is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

You know, one funny thing is that at Epcot, they now give quick (2 minute or so) demo rides after a short introductory lecture. During the lecture the cast member demonstrates how safe the Segway is by intentionally running into a volunteer from the audience to show that the Segway will not only stop, but will back up.

Wonder if this Technical Director guy has ever sat through their own presentation?

Go figure.
ArtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtL View Post
You know, one funny thing is that at Epcot, they now give quick (2 minute or so) demo rides after a short introductory lecture. During the lecture the cast member demonstrates how safe the Segway is by intentionally running into a volunteer from the audience to show that the Segway will not only stop, but will back up.

Wonder if this Technical Director guy has ever sat through their own presentation?

Go figure.
Art,

That's actually a tried and true Segway "official" demo technique. I use it all the time (I'm the volunteer!)

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:21 PM   #8
ArtL
ArtL is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
Art,

That's actually a tried and true Segway "official" demo technique. I use it all the time (I'm the volunteer!)

Steven
Thought it might be... but the point is that Disney uses that technique themselves to show guests how safe a Segway is, and that it poses no risk to people on foot. Now, it isn't a big leap to go from 'it's safe in the demo' to 'it's safe everywhere' so where's the logic in the Disney position?
ArtL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:30 PM   #9
Ronda
Ronda is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Continuing the thought...

Okay, if the Segway stops, then backs up if it makes contact with a pedestrian... inquiring minds want to know what happens if the Segway should run into a tree? I'm supposing one's head would become imbedded into the tree while the Segway stops and backs up, right?

Helmets are a good idea for inquiring minds like mine.
Ronda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
IcanGlide
IcanGlide is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

The tree doubles over grabbing its stomach and goes "oomph" while you see stars and hear little birds sing. Of course, the Segway will just start talking about your momma.

Frank