SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:09 PM   #21
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default Segseat

After Dean's talk, I can see why Segway INC wants nothing to do with the Segseat. I'm amazed they don't prohibit their dealers from carrying the item!

I guess there are legitimate non-disabled applications which can be done with it. So an out and out ban might be overkill, and as you might expect nothing in the Segseat's documentation indicates that it is a medical device. But now I'm a bit worried about the FDA intervening.
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:13 PM   #22
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default New purpose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
He was really more surprised at the way the Seg is being used as opposed to the original concept, transportation. Polo, Disabled, Advertising etc.
Hmmmm...I guess "long distance gliding" must have been an intended use since it isn't on the list, eh? 8^) 8^) 8^)

ps - I thought his talk might be more appropriate for a dealer conference (like back in June or July). But I imagine with the i2 being released, they didn't want Dean speaking words of gloom.
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:17 PM   #23
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Why worry, Unless...

As long as INC and its representatives have been playing by the rules there is nothing to worry about.

After sitting in on the Legislative portion of the fest, if I were able bodied I would be far more concerned about staying legal in the places with "sunset Laws".

The FDA is the least of the problems.

Regards,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:18 PM   #24
Agent
Agent is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Talking Excuse me, sir, but I see a crack...(On the fender,of course!)

Even if I didn't have MS, I'd like my Gen 1 better. I ride on a bumpy road every day and the Gen one is more stable.

Give me the fact I've done both. And you couldn't pick me out of 2 people as the one with MS.

Besides the MS issue, my daughter and wife, who see me on my Seg every day, commented on the i2 the same way, at different times and different places...

"That looks CHEAP". (against my justification, BTW).

Now, they aren't disabled, but they aren't buying, either.

The Emperor wears sexy clothes, but they sure are SKIMPY!
Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 11:19 PM   #25
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by plomoh View Post
Hmmmm...I guess "long distance gliding" must have been an intended use since it isn't on the list, eh? 8^) 8^) 8^)

ps - I thought his talk might be more appropriate for a dealer conference (like back in June or July). But I imagine with the i2 being released, they didn't want Dean speaking words of gloom.
Yep, He left you out !!!!! You must be OK.

And I agree that was a Dealer meeting speech, not the best choice for the enthusiast.

Alan

Old 10-18-2006, 01:34 AM   #26
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by driley View Post
I think that the reason there is any issue at all is because the Segway is so new and unique. Automobile companies do not need to distance themselves from the disabled community, and do in fact help with making cars work for people with disabilities.

Segway needs to establish their product as a mainstream consumer product and not have it pigeon holed as a device for the disabled. It is what is best for the company financially. That is my take on it anyways.

Devin
I have considered this one. I don't think I have ever seen an ad from Ford or GM or any manufacturer that indicated that their car was good for people with disabilities. I would be interested if anyone could find an ad like that. I am curious as to how they would present that...

My Brother ownes a company that retrofits automobilies (and boats as well as other devices) for the disabled community and I had alway thought that most of this work was done by after market people, not the original manufacturers...

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:54 AM   #27
tkwatson
tkwatson is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Thumbs up MS'r Getting around in Portland

My MS is only barely progressing but I have found that the 14 block walk to the Portland MAX train to work, or the all-too-important 12 block walk to my local coffee bar became too much.

Purchased my Seg on Aug 22, '06 and it has revolutionized my commute.

I have fatigue and balance problems--certainly after a several block walk.
I knew I could stand in one place for long periods of time, hence my decision to buy the Seg.

I have gotten pretty comfortable on it, aside from some stiffness in my legs.

I advise anyone suffering from the fatigue/balance/rubbery leg thing to give it a try. It does take a little practice--I liken it to learning to drive a stick shift--but after a very short time its perfectly natural.

Now I look forward to going to places that a couple of months ago I would have avoided as too far to walk.
tkwatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 07:45 AM   #28
Tarkus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I have considered this one. I don't think I have ever seen an ad from Ford or GM or any manufacturer that indicated that their car was good for people with disabilities. I would be interested if anyone could find an ad like that. I am curious as to how they would present that...

My Brother ownes a company that retrofits automobilies (and boats as well as other devices) for the disabled community and I had alway thought that most of this work was done by after market people, not the original manufacturers...
Karl,

You are correct. Any auto I've bought had a third party conversion.

Again, the problem won't come from the buyer it would come from the seller.

Anyone who has studied this subject needs to understand that we don't want the Segway seen as anything but what it is.

A consumer product of universal design.

Like I said before, the "perception" problem stems from the fact that not enough of the original target market bought.

As long as INC watches it's dealers and what they say to the customer they will have no problem.

Now go out and get a friend to buy a Segway, it's in all our best interest.

Regards,
Alan

Old 10-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #29
driley
driley is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post

Karl,

You are correct. The work is not done by the manufactures themselves but by aftermarket companies. I know that some of the manufacturers do assist buyers with disabilities financially with modifications. So they are actively working to make their products work for everyone.

http://www.toyota.com/html/mobility/faq.html
http://www.toyota.com/about/news/com...1-rampvan.html
http://www.toyota.com/html/mobility/converter.html

I do not expect that this is something that Segway should or needs to do. I wish more Segways were in the hands of the public though, which I think would make this more of a non issue.

As far as I know, the FDA is not getting involved in making the car an approved medical device, even though it is likely the most universally used device by those with disabilities.

I have had a disability since I was 11 years old. When I turned 16 I had new freedoms as the result of getting a drivers license. A similar thing happened when I was 42 and got a Segway.

So as far as I am concerned, the Segway is by its very design something that would naturally be used by those with disabilities, in the same way automobiles are.

Devin

Last edited by driley; 10-18-2006 at 04:50 PM..
driley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:26 AM   #30
cruiter
cruiter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Having just taken delivery of my new i2 yesterday and will use it purely for pleasure, I'm one of the private users.

As to the "Medical" use of it, you can think of it as a car or van used in that fashion. They don't have to go throught the scruitiny with FDA, however aftermarket deviceses that are fitted to it for that purpose may be subject to extreme testing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
Agreed.

I find it interesting that this idea of mobility bothers the able bodied more than the disabled.

The best way to "mainstream" the product is to sell units to the open market and get those units out where they can be seen.

The problem so far is that there are simply too few Segways in the hands of private users.

The "pigeon Hole" effect is due to poor marketing, not the use by the disabled.

Regards,
Alan

" We know that communication is a problem, but the company is not going to discuss it with the employees." (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long Lines Division)
cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote