SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:47 PM   #41
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
Retriever just came today. Looks just like advertised. I must say I am pretty impressed with it. The sticky wand part is sticky alright, it looks like the mouse-trap sticky paper that you can put down on the floor. It has a disk about the size of a quarter and it has a plastic cap that you keep it covered with when you dont need it. I have a 16 oz plastic water bottle unopened and I put it on the floor and it picked it up no problem and released no problem at all. Much stronger than I would have thought. For the magnet, I retrieved a can of beans and and can of soup and its no problem at all for it. I wouldnt take a chance on a glass bottle just cause I wouldnt want to clean it up if it dislodged, but I think both the magnet and the sticky disk are as strong as they advertise. The docs say the sticky disk is good for 2000 pickups. When it loses its grip, they say just wash with soup and water. Dont know from experience how long it will last, but for small stuff, I think it should have no problems. I couldnt believe it could pick up a 16 oz bottle of water. I got 2 extra replacement sticky disks too, so I should be good for
awhile I imagine.
It's compact and functional for 90% of those in-home or office reaching/pickup applications. There is one other product for heavier outdoor grabbing that folds to 16" that you may be interested in looking at:
http://www.fetterman-crutches.com/ac...cher/index.php

You gotta like the humor on this site as well as all the practical info..
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #42
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post

Forgive me, but I can't resist...Be sure to let us know what kind of soup you use and how it works out!
Hi Lily:

appologies for not getting back sooner. I took the retriever to the pantry to check it out. The magnet works fine on Cambell's soup can sized (Chicken Noodle soup of course , they are 12 oz. I tried a bigger Progresso Chicken Noodle can and it was "iffy" sometimes it would not stay on. The can lists the size as "1LB 3 oz" instead of ounces and the docs for the retriever only say it is good for 1 lb, so I guess they are right on. Most of the cans seem to be under a pound. The sticky retriever had no problems with any of the ones I had... I wouldnt bet on the jumbo size, but it seems to work well. One slight problem is that it indicates that if you press harder with the sticky disk, it attaches better.... but the disk is on the end of a collapsible shaft, so if you press harder, you can collapse it. But for a wheelchair, seated segway, it seems to work fine for small stuff so far.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:49 AM   #43
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
Hi Lily:

appologies for not getting back sooner. I took the retriever to the pantry to check it out. The magnet works fine on Cambell's soup can sized (Chicken Noodle soup of course , they are 12 oz. I tried a bigger Progresso Chicken Noodle can and it was "iffy" sometimes it would not stay on. The can lists the size as "1LB 3 oz" instead of ounces and the docs for the retriever only say it is good for 1 lb, so I guess they are right on. Most of the cans seem to be under a pound. The sticky retriever had no problems with any of the ones I had... I wouldnt bet on the jumbo size, but it seems to work well. One slight problem is that it indicates that if you press harder with the sticky disk, it attaches better.... but the disk is on the end of a collapsible shaft, so if you press harder, you can collapse it. But for a wheelchair, seated segway, it seems to work fine for small stuff so far.
It is no big deal, but I think she was making a bit of fun at a typo in your post #38. In that post, you said that if it looses its sticky, you just wash it in soup and water, instead of soap and water.

However, your detailed response is more interesting, in a way... I believe that there is a flexible end, isn't there? I suspect that if you are picking up from a high shelf, and it has that flex end making a Shepard's crook of sorts, then you could pull it down hard on the soup can overhead, and the pull will put stress on the elbow of the flex section, but extend instead of collapse the straight part...

Of course, if I remember incorrectly, and there is no flex section at the end to make a hook, then you are exactly correct that pushing harder will retract the extendable sections...

Is it strong enough to swing it sideways at a larger object, using the momentum (like a golf club) to have it hit harder to stick better? With any collapsible column, I would not strike too hard sideways, but you can easily and safely hit sideways with more strength or impact than it typically takes to retract the column.

For the record, I happen to be a fan of Clam Chowder. (New England style, of course (the white stuff)) Because that is a very creamy soup, it is actually pretty slippery stuff, so I can only imagine that if you wash the sticky end of that device in it, it will make it less sticky, not more so.

Not that it is germane to our discussion, but my choice for soup is not particularly good in a water pistol either. Too lumpy. I suggest beef broth here...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:24 PM   #44
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Lilly, I hadn't seen the typo, that's hysterical. Soup and water...No wonder you wanted to know which soup works best It actually does not have a flex elbow type joint at the end. Picture a portable transistor radio antenna with a sticky disk at the end and a second one with a plastic hook and a little magnet. It works fine for light stuff, so I am pleased. I think you probably could swipe it and cause it to stick harder, but you would have to make sure you didnt knock your target over. I used the magnet one at the grocery store this weekend and it was fine for you typical soup or veggie can on the lower shelves, so that convenience alone is worth it to me. I have picked up a pen or 2 and a pad of stickies one time at work and thats about it. I am still smiling about that. Wash in soup and water.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leanseat, mobility, seat