SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #41
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
A device that locks the wheels doesn't need to be used for deccelleration. Locking the wheels of a deactivated segway would have lots of practical uses, such as on busses. I think too many of you see "brakes" and immediately jump to thinking "that is pointless."
Good point. But the purpose of a brake on a wheelchair is primarily to restrain the device while occupied for safety of the occupant. That aspect is not going to work on a Segway, which shouldn't be occupied while stowed.

I would very much welcome a good mechanical brake. It would also be very handy for use in conjunction with a parking stand. I think this requirement should be stated as "a safe system for immobilizing while unoccupied on vehicles and slopes".

I thought a bit a while back about creating such a system. I opted for shock cords instead, but if I had to ride Caltrain on a regular basis, which is somewhat short of places to attach shock cords...
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:10 PM   #42
bgrh@mac.com
bgrh@mac.com is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default A good mechanical break - Wheel Chocks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
Good point. But the purpose of a brake on a wheelchair is primarily to restrain the device while occupied for safety of the occupant. That aspect is not going to work on a Segway, which shouldn't be occupied while stowed.

I would very much welcome a good mechanical brake. It would also be very handy for use in conjunction with a parking stand. I think this requirement should be stated as "a safe system for immobilizing while unoccupied on vehicles and slopes".

I thought a bit a while back about creating such a system. I opted for shock cords instead, but if I had to ride Caltrain on a regular basis, which is somewhat short of places to attach shock cords...
I carry Segways around in a Prius and recently learned to love the big plastic wheel chocks you can get at any Auto Supply store. I put them behind the wheels then run a strong ratcheting tie down across the Segway - pulling it back into the chocks. That puppy isn't going anywhere.

They also work great to prevent my balancing Segway from running off down the road while I'm closing up the car. Cheap and simple.

Now if only there was a way to deploy them ...

Tags
health insurance, how to, rights