SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #41
eucarmy
eucarmy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
I would agree that the 'drive train noise' on your I2 is a good bit louder than any of our three - We have an 80 mile machine, another with 900 miles and the one I ride most often has about 2300 miles. All of them are quieter than yours

As to the range on those old batteries - 5 bars left after 7 miles isn't too bad, considering you did most of the ride at or very near top speed. Like any other battery powered device, it will get better 'mileage' at slower speeds. You ride much differently than we do - Maybe only 10 or 15% of our miles are done at top speed

You do have to keep a close eye on the width of the machine - I would venture to guess than 95% or more of the tumbles taken off Segways are caused when one wheel encounters something which impedes it's ability to turn like it wants to. The machine can't balance unless it's able to do what it needs to do with both wheels. Not something you have a problem with so much riding a unicycle I would imagine

Glad you got it up and running - Love your videos! Are you using some sort of steady-cam device?

Don
Well I just read that tire pressure on the i2 is only supposed to be 14PSI and I am certain I pumped them higher than that so I am going to adjust the pressure and see if I notice any difference.

Yea like you said, almost that entire ride was 11mph plus so I would not expect great battery life in those conditions. I think the old set did ok all things considered.

I shoot my videos with a a GoPro Hero 3 in a foam wind jacket to break wind noise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eucarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:38 AM   #42
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Segway noise . . .

Segway noise, as best as I can remember, was determined by Dean to be somewhat loud so as to alert those around you that a Seg was coming. They could have been made to be quite quiet but instead, as a safety feature, the decibels were magnified.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:11 PM   #43
plumber802
plumber802 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seginaway View Post
Segway noise, as best as I can remember, was determined by Dean to be somewhat loud so as to alert those around you that a Seg was coming. They could have been made to be quite quiet but instead, as a safety feature, the decibels were magnified.
An interesting nugget of Segway trivia.Thanks.
plumber802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:19 AM   #44
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Except, the early ones were almost silent. My i180 is very quiet compared to my i2.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #45
eucarmy

5 yr Member

Taking the Segway I2 to the BEACH!

Haven't figured out an easy way to hoist an I2 in and out of the bed of a truck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:09 PM   #46
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Great video, as always

Yes, picking up and loading an I2 (and tying it down once it's loaded) can be a bit difficult. The solution is a set of Seg cargo bars. Makes picking it up really easy and gives you something to attach straps to so you can tie it down

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Segway-Carg...UAAOSwL9talr~G - I wouldn't pay that much for them though - Shop around! I've bought 2 pairs in the past for that much $$$

X2's have "big under-inflated tires" - Just 4 to 5 psi in them

The used batteries are doing great, but I suspect only 3 bars in 10 miles is probably due to a calibration error, especially since you're using a brand new InfoKey. The process to recalibrate the battery gauge is given in the Seg literature. Basically, you ride it until it starts to slow down, then rest it against a wall in the Ready mode until it shuts itself off, then recharge it fully. A new set of batteries should be good for roughly 24 miles . . . . your old batteries maybe 15 to 20, so 10 miles should be about half on the battery gauge rather than just 3 bars

I'm really glad the batteries are working so well for you - I'm always a bit hesitant selling anyone used stuff, especially expensive used stuff. You always want whatever it is to be a good deal for whoever buys it

Don

Last edited by Don M; 03-18-2018 at 09:24 PM..
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:19 AM   #47
eucarmy

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
Great video, as always

Yes, picking up and loading an I2 (and tying it down once it's loaded) can be a bit difficult. The solution is a set of Seg cargo bars. Makes picking it up really easy and gives you something to attach straps to so you can tie it down

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Segway-Carg...UAAOSwL9talr~G - I wouldn't pay that much for them though - Shop around! I've bought 2 pairs in the past for that much $$$

X2's have "big under-inflated tires" - Just 4 to 5 psi in them

The used batteries are doing great, but I suspect only 3 bars in 10 miles is probably due to a calibration error, especially since you're using a brand new InfoKey. The process to recalibrate the battery gauge is given in the Seg literature. Basically, you ride it until it starts to slow down, then rest it against a wall in the Ready mode until it shuts itself off, then recharge it fully. A new set of batteries should be good for roughly 24 miles . . . . your old batteries maybe 15 to 20, so 10 miles should be about half on the battery gauge rather than just 3 bars

I'm really glad the batteries are working so well for you - I'm always a bit hesitant selling anyone used stuff, especially expensive used stuff. You always want whatever it is to be a good deal for whoever buys it

Don
Yea when I watched it back I realized I misspoke about the X2 tires, I meant to say under-inflated. I will look into those cargo bars for sure. I wish I measured the ride so I had an accurate distance, it may have been more than 10 miles.

Old 03-20-2018, 06:08 AM   #48
plumber802
plumber802 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Great Segway video Duff.Cindy is really getting the hang of it.The weather must be perfect this time of year.Are you looking forward to the summer heat/humidity?
plumber802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #49
eucarmy

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber802 View Post
Great Segway video Duff.Cindy is really getting the hang of it.The weather must be perfect this time of year.Are you looking forward to the summer heat/humidity?
No I am definitely not looking forward to it, the summers here are brutal and long.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #50
truck
truck is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucarmy View Post
No I am definitely not looking forward to it, the summers here are brutal and long.
Sounds just like our winters.
truck is offline   Reply With Quote