SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 03-07-2007, 03:48 PM   #1
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Segway Basketball

I just saw this on youtube.

I wonder how many takes this took. It was either a fluke first time or they had a lot of takes.

Nick
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Cool, lolol.

When playing a sport on a Segway, you will eventually go down. That's OK with Segway Polo since you're on grass, but Seg Basketball would not work since it has to be played on a hard surface. You would have to find a game that doesn't require a hard surface.

Two words: Segway Paintball. :O

Tim
Timezkware Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
Sharkie
Sharkie will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I think you would run into a problem with Segway paintball. Ryan had his i2 at the paintball place where we fly model planes indoors, and the mats got VERY slippery once they had just a little bit of residue on them. One or 2 steps on the playing surface is enough to get "paint" on your shoes, then onto the mats. At this point, just turning will cause your feet to slide to the edges of the mats. A fast stop could just as easily allow you to slide off the front of the platform.

Jim
Old 03-08-2007, 02:15 AM   #4
4rmgt
4rmgt is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

First let me say I just wasted over an hour viewing several segway videos on You Tube...

I was thinking about all the sports you can do with a segway.

Ultimate Frisbee comes to mind. Not to mention Frisbee Golf.

I know many people do Geocaching while on Segways, not sure if you consider that a sport however.

I would think one could do any "wheelchair" sport using segways since we are pushing to have them labelled as EPAMDs
4rmgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 01:35 AM   #5
ryan_walters
ryan_walters will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
I wonder how many takes this took. It was either a fluke first time or they had a lot of takes.
Personally, I think the first one looks like a fake. The angles don't look quite right. Wouldn't have taken much to have someone higher than the camera can see drop a basketball in once the guy on the segway threw one. Something doesn't look quite right about the timming either. It looks to me like it comes back into view a little after it really should have.

I might be totally wrong though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timezkware Tim
Two words: Segway Paintball. :O
I can attest to the fact that the oil used in paintballs gets very slippery. Noticed it when the first corner I took caused my outside foot to instantly slide against the gearbox.

I suppose I should have used multiple posts in a row for this. That way my post count would be higher.
ryan_walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 02:22 AM   #6
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkie View Post
I think you would run into a problem with Segway paintball. Ryan had his i2 at the paintball place where we fly model planes indoors, and the mats got VERY slippery once they had just a little bit of residue on them. One or 2 steps on the playing surface is enough to get "paint" on your shoes, then onto the mats. At this point, just turning will cause your feet to slide to the edges of the mats. A fast stop could just as easily allow you to slide off the front of the platform.

Jim
Two words: Wear cleats.

Tim
Timezkware Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 01:38 AM   #7
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default segway paintball?

I'm in! But I will start looking into what one of those "advertising" shields costs. 8^) 8^) 8^)
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 06:55 AM   #8
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Segway paintball

Good idea plo! How about a perspex one 6 feet heigh by 3 feet wide

Nick
nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
Hwy1Glider
Hwy1Glider is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Another sport: off-season "skiing" using x2s at ski areas. Sure, you're not going nearly as fast...and it could be a total blast. Imagine going down from the top at Squaw Valley or Mammoth...
Old 03-11-2007, 01:07 AM   #10
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default paintball guns in polo

Someone made the comment today that the polo refs should have paintball guns. No need for a shrill whistle hoping that might get the errant player's attention and cause him to stop his wayward activities. No...instead the ref just squeezes off a carefully aimed shot and suddenly this player feels a stinging somewhere on his body letting him know the ref has focused on him!

Of course, having all player players wear full face shields might hinder play....

ps - One other problem with this idea is that paint sploches on your steed might become a "badge of honor" in some twisted way!
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote