SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:16 PM   #11
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmlemon View Post
I must admit, that thing looks pretty ugly, and I don't understand why everyone's calling it a "Segway for Children", when clearly it has no gyroscopes and not two, but three wheels. The advert for it is pretty rediculous, but that's a different matter
Welcome, vm,

It's closer to a motorized walker for kids than a Segway. I wonder how it steers (if it does)?

Tim
Old 01-10-2007, 12:53 PM   #12
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

It looks to me as if it has a boogie wheel at the back purely for stability. I'm guessing, but it looks like it just eitherlocks or reduces power to one wheel. Now that Christmas is over the TV adverts have stopped, so not seen anything recently, I have certainly not seen one "in the wild"

Nick
Old 01-10-2007, 01:29 PM   #13
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
It looks to me as if it has a boogie wheel at the back purely for stability. I'm guessing, but it looks like it just eitherlocks or reduces power to one wheel. Now that Christmas is over the TV adverts have stopped, so not seen anything recently, I have certainly not seen one "in the wild"

Nick
I would doubt you would. It's a toy.

The big question is why anybody would try to link their product to the Segway, whose track record is spotty, and I'm being kind.

Be Big,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:43 PM   #14
vmlemon
vmlemon is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Last thing I heard was that the Advertising Standards Agency here had got the maker to pull their advert, as they didn't mention that it was illegal to use it on footpaths or roads. I can just imagine if the 8-10 year olds that this thing is targeted towards took one out on the streets and were stopped for using it
Old 01-10-2007, 01:57 PM   #15
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post

The big question is why anybody would try to link their product to the Segway, whose track record is spotty, and I'm being kind.

Be Big,
Alan

I can understand on some level the link to Segways, as they are clearly a technological marvel, even if not a financial one...

I don't really get the link to Segways, in England, as the segway is not legal on the streets yet.

That would be comparing some automotive item in the United States to the feeling you get when driving 100 mph. It is a tough sales pitch.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:06 PM   #16
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post

Be Big,
Alan
It's the image driven society we live in. Many people don't want to be associated with something unless it's a winner. If it's a loser, they worry about looking foolish, especially when the product is percieved as expensive. This is what watching too much TV does to one's sense of values.

Kids toys aren't included in this fashion game, especially when the toy doesn't cost $5k. Using a Segway as a model is OK because many people see Segways as expensive toys, not serious transportation devices.

JMO.

Tim
Old 01-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #17
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timezkware Tim View Post
It's the image driven society we live in. Many people don't want to be associated with something unless it's a winner. If it's a loser, they worry about looking foolish, especially when the product is percieved as expensive. This is what watching too much TV does to one's sense of values.

Kids toys aren't included in this fashion game, especially when the toy doesn't cost $5k. Using a Segway as a model is OK because many people see Segways as expensive toys, not serious transportation devices.

JMO.

Tim
Good point Tim.

But I still think they would have been better going the Apple route and call it the "IDARE......YOU" !