SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:24 AM   #1
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member
Default "Dareway" Segway knock-off for kids

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/16/d...-off-for-kids/

RUSA #235
UMCA #

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-19-2006, 11:50 AM   #2
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I saw that this morning... I don't get the name. Why call it a Dareway?

Is it dangerous, or just supposed to look like it is?

-Sal
Old 12-19-2006, 01:03 PM   #3
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
These have been advertised on the TV here (UK) for the last month or so. They are aimed 100% at kids, showing them wizzing around wearing "cool" sunglasses. The amazing thing is they are no more legal than a Segway but they will still sell like hot cakes at that price.

It means we'll have kids scattering pedestrians all over the pavement, causing complaints and damage to cars and property. Ironically, you'll see more of these in Inner City areas than in the country.
Next time the Segway is discussed by the Government they'll think of these machines being ridden by unruly kids and proclaim "them" (i.e. Segways!) as dangerous.

Right, time to calm down, get off my soapbox and think of my blood pressure.

Nick
Old 12-19-2006, 01:05 PM   #4
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Sal

I really need to know what music your cat is listening too!

Nick
Old 01-07-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
drmarty
drmarty has a spectacular aura aboutdrmarty has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Of course you are exactly right, Nickboy. That is the problem in spades. Kids will get these, ride them anywhere and anyway. They won't care about rules or laws or other people or property.

And then ------ Yep when discussing Segways people will think of these.

Please get on your soapbox. It is OK. I don't know the answer to this tough question. But we need to watch out and keep in mind that it will in fact happen.

Marty
Old 01-07-2007, 10:55 PM   #6
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

Wink They are the same, but different.....

I think it's great, free market and the like.

As far as being confused with the Segway, oh well, that's no different then the way the Seg is seen already.

It's been lumped in with scooters, razors etc. as far as the public goes.

I hope they sell a ton of them, it will show that marketing to a precise market still works.

The fact is there are only a handful of Segways in the public's hands and those of us here are just a "grains of sand on the beach".

It's not our problem it's INC's.

I knew when I bought mine they were not well received in many places, did'nt the rest of you ?

You realize it wont be long before the "youngsters" buy Gen 1's at a good price, do you think they will see themselves are "good will ambassadors"?

I would think not.

Maybe only those who belong to Chat and take a sacred oath to be good boys & girls should be aloud be buy Segways.

And maybe there should never, ever be another product that even resembles the Segway, and so on and so on.

Be Big,
Alan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 01-07-2007, 11:33 PM   #7
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyboy View Post
Sal

I really need to know what music your cat is listening too!

Nick
LOL

Today it was some Colin Hay... I think in Feb, it'll be the new Nine Inch Nails DVD release of their 2006 Tour.

-Sal
Old 01-08-2007, 12:51 AM   #8
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default co-ink-key-dinc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal View Post
LOL

Today it was some Colin Hay... I think in Feb, it'll be the new Nine Inch Nails DVD release of their 2006 Tour.

-Sal
Oh Sal Sal Sal...you sure did make a big mistake. I do hope you're not a Colin Hay fan, cause if so you're going to see me in my most enthusiastic mode. (Truly scary.)

ps - PM me and I'll give you all the details. By the way, Peaks and Valleys is my favorite album.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:36 AM   #9
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Watch, these will be legal in Holland soon.

Tim
Old 01-10-2007, 04:04 AM   #10
vmlemon
vmlemon is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I must admit, that thing looks pretty ugly, and I don't understand why everyone's calling it a "Segway for Children", when clearly it has no gyroscopes and not two, but three wheels. The advert for it is pretty rediculous, but that's a different matter