SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 12-15-2006, 06:30 PM   #1
gotseg
gotseg

5 yr Member
Default water gun v2

This past summer I installed a water gun into my cars trunk, it was payback time for the guys who wouldn't stop tailing my rear at distances I could probably span with one hand. The setup was simple, sliced the wire running down to the windshield washer pump to a switch which, when fliped one direction, sent power back to the original windshield washer pump. and when fliped ther other direction, directed the power into another windshield washer pump I purchased from the junk yard, located in my trunk. (and with some tubing, linked its water output to a bike needle and a hole drilled into the honda civic emblem on the back). easy enough, flip the switch, squeeze the windshield washer lever and a jet of water flew out the back 15 or so feet. the funny thing was the windshield wipers would still flap.

Anyway, were i'm going with all this... I am just looking for some advice/part ideas of how I may go about my next version of the water cannon!

what i was thinking..
-doesn't tap power from the winshield washer pump wiring, but perhaps independly from the car [battery?] by some means? 12v.ish (voltage for water pump)
-can be fired by the push of a button (not, a switch allready installed in the car ie: windshield washer lever))
-lastly, the next real *upgrade*, a way to control the angle which the water comes out. I've built up a mock setup with an old RC servo, but i'm unsure of how to control it. servo was just one idea, but any motor would work. I would like to control its pitch with a knob, or 'up' and 'down' buttons. I imagine the knob would require a digital path forward because it will need to know how far it is turned - these are all my assumptions/ideas.

Allright, thank you for hanging on, now any ideas?
Old 12-15-2006, 07:57 PM   #2
citivolus
citivolus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

It's crazy, silly and childish. Perhaps that's why I like it so much.

That said. Pump, for real volume go with one for an RV like a shurflo or flojet. A little pricey but hey you can really an impression. Otherwise just run another set of wires to the second washer pump, the lighter/power outlet circuit is usually available for power.

For aiming, head back to the junkyard. I'm thinking power side mirror, you get both L-R & U-D. Be sure to grab all the needed internals like relays or whatnot.

Just had another thought, you could also add an accumulator tank that stays pressurized even when the pump isn't running. It would require an extra valve but...

Last edited by citivolus; 12-15-2006 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: another thought
Old 12-15-2006, 10:44 PM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

A couple thoughts...

Way back when, when I was poor and did not care much... The windshield wiper pump on my 84 Cavilier went bad... I was very upset that the dealer would not fix it, since I bought the car new and it was only 18 months old, but it was not covered by warrentee... It was also $60 or some rediculous price...

I bought a battery powered squirt gun. They were poplular at the time, ran on several (4) AA batteries that would generate 6 volts. I used the pump and spliced it into the 12 circuit, and man did that thing pump water! At 6 volts it would send the water 30 feet or more, at twice the voltage, it could burn out easily, but sent the water with a great deal of force... (Since the pump circuit on that car was timed, it never ran long enough to heat up enough to burn out... I kept that pump in service longer than the original, over 18 months and at least 60 or 70,000 miles)

ANyway, to be on topic, when I first hooked it up, the squirters were on the wiper arms, and the intent was to have a sweep of water that followed the wiper... When I hooked up this pump, I would send out a field of water that was at least 15 feet in the air, and in an arch about 30 feet across. It landed at least 30 feet behind the back of the car...

Even after I re-aimed the nozzles lower on the windshield, whenever I used the wash, I could look into the rear view mirror and see the car behind me also turn on their wipers...

Now, maybe you could use this information for some ideas...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:18 PM   #4
drmarty
drmarty has a spectacular aura aboutdrmarty has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Karl may be on the right track. There might be some problem with squirting the guy behind you. I am not sure it is legal. (I know who cares?) In California the return fire may be just that. Hot lead.

BUT

If it was your front wipers just shooting over onto the next car then who could say anything? We have all seen that. I know it seems more satisfying to actually have a dedicated blaster but again if they called a cop I have to think the police wouldn't be too happy.

Marty
Old 12-16-2006, 02:07 AM   #5
Sharkie
Sharkie will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

This takes me back a few years, but a buddy of mine set up a separate washer pump and reservoir and had it aimed forward. When a pedestrian crossed against a light or did something he felt was unacceptable, he hit a button and squirted water straight forward. He surprised a LOT of people with that one. He never got punched out for his trouble, but I imagine it was only a matter of time. Eventually, he grew up a bit and took the system out.

Jim
Old 12-16-2006, 08:07 AM   #6
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Following too closely (tailgating) is dangerous, stupid, and illegal.

On the other hand, it's also dangerous to be doing 55 in the #1 lane when the flow of traffic is doing 65. Those people are practically asking to get tailgated. For all those people who like to drive 50MPH on the freeway: PLEASE move over to the #3 lane. You're driving the rest of us nuts. Thanks.

Tim
Old 12-16-2006, 09:11 AM   #7
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Stick with a wiper mod -it leaves you with "plausible deniability" - "..officer, I was only trying to get bird poop off my car." I learned by accident that by trying to re-aim my squirter a bit higher that if you squeeze the plyers too hard it has the effect of putting your thumb under the end of a hose. try that.
What I want is reverse high-beams. This stupid daylight savings time has got to go, I hate driving I-95 at night.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 12-16-2006, 09:44 AM   #8
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPaxton View Post
Stick with a wiper mod -it leaves you with "plausible deniability" - "..officer, I was only trying to get bird poop off my car." I learned by accident that by trying to re-aim my squirter a bit higher that if you squeeze the plyers too hard it has the effect of putting your thumb under the end of a hose. try that.
What I want is reverse high-beams. This stupid daylight savings time has got to go, I hate driving I-95 at night.
For reverse high-beams, it'd probably be a moving violation. but try putting a few of these on your car:

(click image)
Old 12-16-2006, 09:47 AM   #9
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

man, that is too cool. Gotta find a small version to strap on my glide too!

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 12-16-2006, 10:13 AM   #10
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPaxton View Post
man, that is too cool. Gotta find a small version to strap on my glide too!
OK, but don't go crazy...