SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 09-07-2006, 10:14 AM   #11
cmonkey
cmonkey will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player
Default Wireless looked pretty cool...

and the small automotive ones would work well for a 2 seg family....

front tire display=my seg
back tire display= second seg.

I even found one for motorcycles:

http://www.smartire.com/products/motorcycles/index.html

but at $200, I think I'll stick with my $10 digital tire guage.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:42 PM   #12
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default a bit pricier, but should work

I ran across this alternative: http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....topnav=FRHOL06 and it looks like it would work for segways! I'm not sure if it'd throw the balance off and cause the segway to wobble. But at least you could split the set between you and another segway owner to keep the costs low.

bystander, I'll split a set with you if you buy one!
Old 11-30-2006, 04:50 PM   #13
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plo View Post
I ran across this alternative: http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog....topnav=FRHOL06 and it looks like it would work for segways! I'm not sure if it'd throw the balance off and cause the segway to wobble. But at least you could split the set between you and another segway owner to keep the costs low.

bystander, I'll split a set with you if you buy one!
Interesting.

http://www.amazon.com/Tire-Alert-Sel...074242-2521766

Quote:
Product Description

Product Description
The LED Tire Alert Valve Cap is a small device that will start blinking if the tire pressure falls 4 psi below the correct pressure. It is an active warning, which will be seen by the driver as she/he approaches the vehicle. The Valve Cap is designed to replace the regular dust cap on a tire. Therefore it will fit most passenger cars, pick up trucks, large trucks, tractor trailers, fork lifts, motorcycles, bicycles, lawn mowers or wheel barrels. The Valve Cap is so small (approx. 1" x ½ ) and light (only 0.3 oz) that it will have no impact on the wheel balancing or the appearance of the vehicle. Features of the LED Tire Alert Valve Cap: Durable design The Cap is designed to withstand even the toughest conditions. The body is made of nickel-plated aluminum and the clear cap is made of clear Polycarbonate. It has no moving parts except a membrane, which will flex slightly if the tire pressure drops. The Valve Cap is entirely sealed and therefore no moisture, dust or dirt can enter into it. Self-Calibrating The Valve Cap is self-calibrating. When the cap is mounted on the valve stem the first time, it will memorize that tire pressure. The cap is calibrated for life and does not need to, and cannot be, updated later. The Cap can be calibrated to any tire pressure between 20 and 110 psi. Since most car manufacturers recommend having different tire pressures for your front tires vs. your rear tires, the ability to self-calibrate gives you the flexibility to calibrate each valve cap to the appropriate pressure Easy to install Since the Valve Cap is self-calibrating no further calibration needs to be done by the installer. The Valve Cap is also 100% self-contained with onboard batteries. All four LED Tire Alert Valve Caps can be installed in just a few seconds more than it takes to check the tire pressure and it does not need to be done by a trained technician.
So I guess one would inflate to 4.0 psi higher than the desired amount, check with an accurate guage, then attach one of these for the first time. Might want to have a set for cruising (lower) and another set for polo & long distance gliding (higher).

Oddly, the link I found with additional details claims the lower limit is 20 psi, the link you found stated the lower limit as 10. I'll check around some local auto parts stores and see if anything comes up.

Edit: Here's a place that sells them individualy:

http://www.vehiclelight.com/airalert.html