SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:34 PM   #11
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

I think its pretty interesting, because it is similar to a couple ideas and designs I've been working on. Karl, remember your little Godzilla or Barney toy you saw and posted about a few weeks ago? If you watch the video on this hypebike you can see that it too balances at below the axle. You can see the person iside kind of roll or, rock back, and forth, inside it and the front wheel bobbing up and down. With the front steering wheel bobbing up and down I would think it would be hard to steer. If they want to get this working better they need to find a way to stop that. In one of my designs there is no front wheel, to worry about and the glider would be swinging almost like the one on the video. Oh, and the wheels, very similar on another design, I've been coming up with. On his written document about it he said he already had his huge wheels made. I wonder how or where he got them or made them. I have thought about getting one of those huge tubular wire racks that the powerline companies abandon in fields after the stringing some cable or power lines. They are about the same size. And that would be stealing, which I'm not akin to do. Now if it was donated that would be ok. How did he get rubber on them. Can you imagine all the tubes of silicone or what ever to make it. Perhaps he used bicycle innertubes for 24 or 26 inch wheels and stretched them over, and, or glued and layered them on one at a time. But I guess I could find out.

Karl, can you provide a link to the toothed track one you mentioned?

I like the design but I don't think I would try to ride it because I think it would be terribly exhausting to ride. But there are elements of it I like.
Old 01-28-2007, 02:45 PM   #12
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I am not nearly the researcher that other on this forum are...

One design I saw was from the 20s or early 30s and I believe it was french. I saw a newsreel type short of a guy on a seat on a small gasoline motor, kind of like a rear engine lawn tractor. The whole thing was in a large wheel, about 8 or 9 feet in diameter. This film had him rolling along under power, and turning by leaning the whole thing... I do not know about stopping. It was a typical clip from a movie like, "Those incredible men in their wacky machines..." Try this link...
http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEUM/TRANSPORT/motorwhl/motorwhl.htm#gd

Another design was in a cartoon, where there was a truck sized tire, and the entire interior was the cabin, and there was a plexi glass style bubble on either side which allowed for more room inside, and for the pilot to see. It was a cartoon, and tho it showed it moving, I do not know if there was a working prototype, or just an idea... I also now recall seeing something more like this in real life... try this link on for size... http://www.gizmag.com/go/4506/

Lastly, I thought I saw another one, similar to the first listed here, but far more recent, like the 70s or 80s or maybe even later... I recall the image, but cannot recall much else... This idea on the link should give you something to think about!
http://www.theriotwheel.com/index.html

I went back and edited my post, and added links. They do not exactly match up with my narative, but are worth the look...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 01-28-2007 at 03:32 PM..
Old 01-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #13
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Those are great finds Karl. I have seen a few of them especially the Wheelsurf, Riotwheel and some of the monowheels. Did you see this video of a diwheel. It looks like a blast and of recent past 1999
The Swedish diwheel

http://www.dself.dsl.pipex.com/MUSEU...el/diwheel.htm

It seems you can only access the link from the site but if you cut and past this lower one into your browser you can get it quicker
http://www.mtek.chalmers.se/~johjes/doc/hjulet.mpeg

Last edited by GadgetmanKen; 01-28-2007 at 06:08 PM..
Old 01-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #14
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

the front wheel is not for steering. it is there so that the rider doesn't become inverted while riding this abomination.