SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 12-16-2006, 10:32 AM   #11
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

:d :d

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 12-16-2006, 01:27 PM   #12
drmarty
drmarty has a spectacular aura aboutdrmarty has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Yeah, tail lights that flop down and reveal a gazillion candlepower lights, that's what I want.

But those reflector cubes are absolutely the best. Thanks for the link.

(Stop me. I don't need one. Want one. No NO NO. Can see 'em from the moon you say.)

Marty
Old 12-16-2006, 01:53 PM   #13
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarty View Post
Yeah, tail lights that flop down and reveal a gazillion candlepower lights, that's what I want.

But those reflector cubes are absolutely the best. Thanks for the link.

(Stop me. I don't need one. Want one. No NO NO. Can see 'em from the moon you say.)

Marty
Well,

http://www.eio.com/repairfaq/sam/laserlia.htm
(scroll down to nearly the bottom)
Quote:
I used to be able to sparkle off the new moon with my YAG at full power and full convergence. It takes some doing but you can see the sparkle from the Sea of Tranquillity with the naked eye off the corner cube reflector, aka: retroreflector left there in 1969 by the astronauts.

WARNING: Shooting a laser into the sky is irresponsible and highly illegal without prior approval from the proper agencies. Airline pilots do not appreciate being blinded! --- sam).
Old 12-17-2006, 11:43 AM   #14
cmonkey
cmonkey will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player
Default High power lights? yup, got em!

On my old car, (which is now my spare), I replaced my backup lights with 100watt halogen bulbs. When someone got a little too close, I just pushed in the clutch and and moved the stick to the reverse slot and that triggered the reverse lights. Most people backed off pretty quick.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:50 PM   #15
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

In an old Mercedes (I was not so old at the time, this was 30 years ago) in Germany, and it had a built in, rear facing red fog light. You don't see rear facing fog lights much, but in my opinion, they are sometimes more important that front facing ones...

Anyway, when that very bright red light comes on, you back off. It is just that simple. Unfortunately, it only works that one time with each idiot.

I have always been a fan of the suction cup dart concept...

THe way it works is like this, everyone gets three suction cup darts, like kids play with, and a launcher. The darts have a flag on them that say they are attached to the car, because the driver is a jerk. THe darts also have a bit of crazy glue on them, so once stuck, you cannot remove them for 30 days...

So, someone does something dumb or antisocial, you shoot their car with a flagged dart.

Now, you drive along, and bother no one, your car is fine... Some idiot comes upon you, and it has 40 of these little flags over it, you know that no reasonable argument is going to work... A cop pulls over 3 cars in a speed trap, and one has a dozen fresh flags on it, game over...

Pull a bone head move, and the flag on your car will remind you for 30 days, and then fall off. If you get to work with a flag on, you are embarrassed. If you get to work with 10 new ones, you either get a raise, or fired, depending on your position....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.

Last edited by KSagal; 12-17-2006 at 02:34 PM..
Old 12-17-2006, 10:44 PM   #16
gotseg
gotseg

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citivolus View Post
It's crazy, silly and childish. Perhaps that's why I like it so much.

That said. Pump, for real volume go with one for an RV like a shurflo or flojet. A little pricey but hey you can really an impression. Otherwise just run another set of wires to the second washer pump, the lighter/power outlet circuit is usually available for power.

For aiming, head back to the junkyard. I'm thinking power side mirror, you get both L-R & U-D. Be sure to grab all the needed internals like relays or whatnot.

Just had another thought, you could also add an accumulator tank that stays pressurized even when the pump isn't running. It would require an extra valve but...

I love the idea of using the power side mirrors. I've never looked behind the mirrors on them, but it shouldn't be to bad to modify. Looking over these posts though, doesn't sounds like i'm the only one who's fooled with the idea . I'll head back to the junk yard and post my findings! thanks for the ideas

Justin
Old 12-18-2006, 03:51 AM   #17
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotseg View Post
I love the idea of using the power side mirrors. I've never looked behind the mirrors on them, but it shouldn't be to bad to modify. Looking over these posts though, doesn't sounds like i'm the only one who's fooled with the idea . I'll head back to the junk yard and post my findings! thanks for the ideas

Justin
Here's an "on-line junkyard" item:

(click image for details)
Quote:
Automotive side-view mirror assembly consists of two small 12 Vdc motors with push/ pull worm-gear mechanisms. The motors raise and lower a 4.28" square plastic platform. The worm-gear mechanisms can push or pull depending on polarity and will allow manual adjustment without voltage present. Each motor / worm-gear assembly is independent, protected with a rubber boot for moisture protection. The motors can be separated from the larger assembly by breaking off the mirror platform (see instructions). Overall thickness of motors and platform is approximately 2". See larger picture for view of individual motors.