SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 02-14-2004, 03:42 AM   #1
Segway City
Segway City is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member
Default Segway Tours Now At Epcot Center

Well, ain't that special: you can't bring your own in, but you can go for a two hour tour and pay $80 to use theirs beginning 2/14/2004:

http://allearsnet.com/btp/tours.htm#seg

Seg-Whey... "Atkins Friendly"
Segway City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 11:00 AM   #2
jrmiller
jrmiller

5 yr Member

RIIIIGHT, Well I guess if its their sand box and they have their toys in the box and you want to come and play , you play with their toys and do not bring your own, OR just stay home!!!!! :>( :>( JR SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT
jrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 02:26 PM   #3
Okeechobee Wind
Okeechobee Wind

5 yr Member

I had the pleasure along with my lady to experience the Epcot Segway Tour first hand. The tour is only a couple of weeks old and is well worth the time and expense to experience first hand the Disney twist to gliding.
The first hour of the two-hour tour takes place in the same room that ALL, Disney World, cast members who ride Segway’s take their six hour course. In order to ride a Segway HT within the parks as a cast member to must first take and pass a six hour fully loaded course on not only the Segway operation but also operating near and within close perimeters to guests.
There is quite a bit more to the lessons however I am going to keep it short and hope that someone from the Disney group may chime in and give us all continuing input from the Mouse House.
The one hour course for guests is the standard Segway initiation with a little more emphasis on what to do when we encounter not so fortunate guests on our way to the back half of the not yet open Epcot. I forgot to mention this tour takes place before the park is fully open so the majority of gliding is with only your ten person group and anywhere from two to three or more supervisors and trainers. Epcot opens fully at 11: AM, the tour begins at 9: AM.
I rode up to the class room on my three wheel electric mobility chair (scooter), walked to the room and transferred to a HT for the next couple of hours. The tour does encompass the entire Epcot area. It begins near the entrance and continues clockwise around the circle of countries.
You will encounter guests at the end of the tour as you finish the circle and return to the classroom to leave your new blue button HT’s for the last time. I do believe that this all must take place before any of us will ever be allowed to glide on our own HT’s within any of the Disney locations. I am sure every aspect of operating possibilities is being observed and discussed.
The team is made up of a wonderful group of cast members who do understand the needs of both Disney and persons with mobility disorders. I would like to mention that all involved with the training and tours are avid Segway enthusiasts.
I am running late and have to go for now. Hopefully I will be able to answer your questions in a timely fashion. My Internet connections are far and few between for the present.

I give the tour four of five HT’s. It could only be better if I was operating my personal Segway.
Okeechobee Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 02:51 PM   #4
Segway City
Segway City is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Bravo! Great reporting! Perhaps this will be the trial course to allow Segway entry by guest/owners possible.
Segway City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 03:03 PM   #5
Florida Ever-Glides
Florida Ever-Glides will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Do the riders just glide around Epcot or do they actually stop and talk about various interesting points along the way? It sounds like an interesting first step for Disney.

Tom Jacobson
Florida Ever-Glides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 12:26 AM   #6
Okeechobee Wind
Okeechobee Wind

5 yr Member

Tom, to answer your question, I have to say the tour is complete. We meandered in and out of each individual country areas. This included areas behind the scenes while still in the stocking stages. We utilized rows of pillars to weave in and out of as if they where special pillions placed there just for our amusement. You are free to roam but you are never alone. This is mostly for your personal safety’s sake.
You begin to get the feeling that you are personally involved with the days opening of Epcot. Oh yes the Pixie Dust was quite prevalent in the air. When the tour is over there is a complete let down as you realize you no longer are a honorary member of the behind the scenes cast.
Even though I did not want to switch back to my scooter, I do understand the Disney Corporations concern with allowing individuals free roam of the parks. I believe it is inevitable that eventually we will glide in Disney property. The idea of stopping the legitimate mobility disabled HT operator access to the parks in my opinion does not have teeth. That is my opinion however and as more of use venture into this foreign land and voice our opinions there may just be a change of policy.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:45 AM   #7
jrmiller
jrmiller

5 yr Member

Hey Ochee, greetings tthis AM. Just read your post great! I will try to call you later this afternoon. I would like more information. I think I still can find you tx number. I'll be in touch
jrmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 12:22 PM   #8
Okeechobee Wind
Okeechobee Wind

5 yr Member

"The one hour course for guests is the standard Segway initiation with a little more emphasis on what to do when we encounter not so fortunate guests on our way to the back half of the not yet open Epcot."

In fairness I would like to mention that there is nothing standard about Disney's methods. The instruction team takes the lesson to its fullest form, complying to the utmost levels with Segway LLC standards and a level of excellence that comes only from Disney instruction.