SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2007, 02:12 PM   #11
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light
 
polo_pro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sacramento, CA, USA.
Posts: 2,608
5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default vetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO View Post
I had a call for replacement keys this morning that i feel is suspicious. The caller said he bought an i-167 from a friend who bought it at a swapmeet or something. He has no keys, no key code and does not know who the original owner is. I told him to call me with the registered owner's name and then I can help him.

The serial number is 042171008890.

May be straight OK, but be aware!
When handling inquiries that might involve stolen segways, do dealers go the extra mile and contact all the other dealers in the area (thus making the thief take the stolen segway to the next major city to even have a chance of getting keys made)? What about calling Segway INC and passing on the serial number information? I'm curious just how much of a network of protection segway dealers give us owners.

ps - Of course, the first line of defense is OWNERS getting their segways registered at Segway INC. I've registered both of mine!
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #12
dgbint
Member
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough
 
dgbint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Melbourne, VIC, Australia.
Posts: 940
5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Wink Crooks are usually not Einsteins.

We handle it a bit differently.

When we get a call for a key, we say, 'sure, bring it in to us, we will make a key on the spot'.

When they do so, we tell them that it will take an hour, so please go get a cup of coffee, and come back in an hour.
This gives us time to check it out, and then take appropriate action.

I can't imagine any genuine owner having a problem, with our tactic.

We have identified and recovered one machine that way with 1, 'hmmm', non-genuine owner.

Michael
Segway Southern Cross.
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:28 PM   #13
MiamiBeachPatrol
Junior Member
MiamiBeachPatrol is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hollywood, Florida
Posts: 61
5 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbint View Post
We handle it a bit differently.

When we get a call for a key, we say, 'sure, bring it in to us, we will make a key on the spot'.

When they do so, we tell them that it will take an hour, so please go get a cup of coffee, and come back in an hour.
This gives us time to check it out, and then take appropriate action.

I can't imagine any genuine owner having a problem, with our tactic.

We have identified and recovered one machine that way with 1, 'hmmm', non-genuine owner.

Michael
Segway Southern Cross.

Sweet.

Would be nice to get INC. to notify ALL dealers worldwide to administer that policy as standard dealer-protocol.

Michael
MiamiBeachPatrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:46 AM   #14
SegAway
New Member
SegAway
 
SegAway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: MECHELEN, ANTWERP, Belgium.
Posts: 12
5 yr Member
Default Segway XT 52321015901 Stolen in Belgium

One of our Segway XT's was stolen together with a van an promotion equipment.
It was accompanied only with the black key, so soneeone will probably try to get a hold of a red replacement key..

Danny
__________________
SegwayEvents and rentals in Europe
Over 30 machines available -: 10 XT - 10 i180 - 12 i2


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SegAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:25 PM   #15
itsmagic1954
New Member
itsmagic1954 is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1
5 yr Member
Default Another stolen Segway

Our red i180 Segway was stolen from our garage in Calgary in the wee hours of the morning of July 1st. Serial # 05221014118.

Fortunately, the thief did not get the keys. Unfortunately our homeowner's insurance claim for it has been denied by Cooperator's. They say it is classified as a "motorized vehicle" and thus is not covered. Better check your own policies.

We bought the Segway as a mobility aid for my wife who has MS. Mobility aids such as electric scooters are covered for theft. I guess I don't really see the distinction. We will be filing a complaint with the insurance company.

Scott Partridge
itsmagic1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #16
jgbackes
Senior Member
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough
 
jgbackes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Jose, CA - USA
Posts: 1,314
5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default

I just HATE thieves, sorry for your loss. I'll keep an eye out on e-bay and craigs list.
__________________
sǝʞɔɐq ɟɟǝɾ

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:18 PM   #17
bentbiker
Senior Member
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,795
5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Fight

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmagic1954 View Post
Unfortunately our homeowner's insurance claim for it has been denied by Cooperator's. They say it is classified as a "motorized vehicle" and thus is not covered. Mobility aids such as electric scooters are covered for theft. I guess I don't really see the distinction. We will be filing a complaint with the insurance company.

Scott Partridge
Scott,

When you file your claim, point out that it:
1.) Is not a motor vehicle, it is an EPAMD and functions much like the mobility aid scooters.
2.) There is no Vehicle ID Number (VIN) as required for motor vehicles.
3.) There is no registration required.
4.) It is used on sidewalks and bike-paths/lanes not streets.
5.) No drivers license is required.
6.) Ask if bicycles are covered by homeowners policies.

Admittedly, I was lucky enough to have CA recognition of EPAMD's, but that was enough to satisfy my insurance company and get it covered under my homeowners policy. Once the specialist agreed, I asked that this be added as a note to my policy, which they did.

Good luck!
__________________
_______________________________________________

_______________________________________________


John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:40 AM   #18
trenaudin
New Member
trenaudin is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1
5 yr Member
Default Segway Stolen in Paris

I work for City Segway Tours in Paris, France and we recently had an i2 stolen. The Serial Number is 062501026481. If you have any information please contact our Paris office at 1.866.614.6218, our US office at 1.512.535.7614, or email me at Tyler@CitySegwayTours.com.

Thanks,
Tyler Renaudin
trenaudin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #19
asifjahmed
Member
asifjahmed is on a distinguished road
 
asifjahmed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 208
5 yr Member
Default

Well, according to some states laws, the Segway is excluded from the definition of motor vehicle...

You might want to check the regulatory laws in your area and if that is the case, fight the insurance comopany.

Best of Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmagic1954 View Post
Our red i180 Segway was stolen from our garage in Calgary in the wee hours of the morning of July 1st. Serial # 05221014118.

Fortunately, the thief did not get the keys. Unfortunately our homeowner's insurance claim for it has been denied by Cooperator's. They say it is classified as a "motorized vehicle" and thus is not covered. Better check your own policies.

We bought the Segway as a mobility aid for my wife who has MS. Mobility aids such as electric scooters are covered for theft. I guess I don't really see the distinction. We will be filing a complaint with the insurance company.

Scott Partridge
__________________
Asif J. Ahmed
asifjahmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #20
ryan_walters
Member
ryan_walters will become famous soon enough
 
ryan_walters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 347
5 yr Member
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asifjahmed View Post
Well, according to some states laws, the Segway is excluded from the definition of motor vehicle...

You might want to check the regulatory laws in your area and if that is the case, fight the insurance comopany.

Best of Luck
In some states, there are. As of yet, there are no segway laws one way or the other in Alberta, Canada, where this theft took place.
ryan_walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 PM.
Copyright 2002-2020 SegwayChat.org.
All rights reserved. Not affiliated with Segway Inc.

FreshBlue vBulletin skin by
VayaDesign
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SegwayChat Archive