SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:48 AM   #51
JM Wilber
JM Wilber is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default JM Wilber

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
DCSEG is building its website these days, and this is the perfect kind of content for SEG sites.

Where is it encouraged to glide. As an avid glider, I would rather give my money to a business that supports me, than one that shuns me.

Good work Sal!

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member
SEG America
The Premier Gliding Organization!
http://www.SEGAmerica.org
Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!
Home Depot
Ontario convention center
Irwindale speedway
Los Angeles convention center
Shoreline village long beach
Farmers market (third & fairfax) los angeles
California
All the shops & stores & US Parks fed. rec. lands trails sidewalks everwhere, Hyatt Regency even poolside.
Sedona Grand Canyon trails sidewalks
Arizona
Alamo san antonio
Texas
moor to come
JM Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #52
JM Wilber
JM Wilber is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
DCSEG is building its website these days, and this is the perfect kind of content for SEG sites.

Where is it encouraged to glide. As an avid glider, I would rather give my money to a business that supports me, than one that shuns me.

Good work Sal!

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member
SEG America
The Premier Gliding Organization!
http://www.SEGAmerica.org
Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!
Home Depot
Ontario convention center
Irwindale speedway
Los Angeles convention center
Shoreline village long beach
Farmers market (third & fairfax) los angeles
California
All the shops & stores & US Parks fed. rec. lands trails sidewalks everwhere, Hyatt Regency even poolside.
Sedona Grand Canyon trails sidewalks
Arizona
Alamo san antonio
Texas
JM Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:38 AM   #53
BoscoBob
BoscoBob is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I have often wished for a database of cities and locations "friendly" to Segways, and a way to disseminate that information to other gliders.

Has anyone contemplated using Google maps? They have a powerful interface and the ability to leave tags and routes. I think the best user interface would be something akin to what is being used here, a geocaching.com feature. A link to the route, a description of why it is great/horrible and any hazards.

I'm no computer whiz, so I'll leave it up to you young whippersnappers to implement this.

I can tell you that Salem, Oregon is (now) extremely friendly to Segways. After some dust-ups with a stupid cop and an insensitive WallyWorld Night Manager, the roads are now wide open to gliders. Additionally, with the money from the Economic Stimulus Package, Salem made EVERY curb corner in the city "ramped". What that means to me as a glider is that I can go anywhere in this city and never, ever have to deal with a curb.

Edit: Wanted to throw in a link for a possible glide. Not a real glide, but an example of what we could even do here. Have a "Recent Glides" page with a sticky, and we could post our glides and didactic on that page.

Last edited by BoscoBob; 02-10-2013 at 05:48 AM..
BoscoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #54
PaulDV
PaulDV is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi Bob,

I've put up a facility for exactly this type of thing over at Segway Central: www.segwaycentral.net/gliding/glide-routes

There's only a couple of test routes uploaded for now but you should be able to get the idea.

Currently routes can be uploaded as GPX or KML files (many smartphone apps can create these using the in-built GPS). A newer version of the software I'm using should allow the drawing of routes directly onto a map but I don't have a release date for this yet.

Please feel free to have a play with the site and let me have your feedback as to what could be improved.

Re the database of glide-friendly places, I do have a fledgling database option for this on the site but its hidden from view right now as I haven't gotten around to finishing it yet. If people here can give me an idea of what they would like it to contain I'd be happy to spend some time putting it together for everyone to post their own entries.

I also have a half-written article on the legal status of segways around the world and need to find some time to finish it off. It's intended to be a work in progress with updates made as and when they are known. If that really is of use and people can furnish me with the necessary information then I'd be happy to put it all together and keep it as up to date as I can.

Regards,
Paul
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PaulDV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #55
BoscoBob

5 yr Member

I was thinking that if there was simply a main category, here, "Friendly Locales and Glides". We could post something like this:

[Title]Portland, OR glide from Union Station to OMSI with a stop at Voodoo Donuts.

Here is the glide. In the "directions" toolbar, you can scroll to "3D" and see the glide from ground level-ish perspective and see the terrain features. Be sure to stop at Voodoo and get their bacon maple bar donut. Here is the OMSI home page.

It's simple. The only change would be to establish a new category on the forum thread. Eventually, if there was a lot of input, subcategories for states and/countries could be established.
Old 02-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #56
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoBob View Post
I was thinking that if there was simply a main category, here, "Friendly Locales and Glides". We could post something like this:

[Title]Portland, OR glide from Union Station to OMSI with a stop at Voodoo Donuts.

Here is the glide. In the "directions" toolbar, you can scroll to "3D" and see the glide from ground level-ish perspective and see the terrain features. Be sure to stop at Voodoo and get their bacon maple bar donut. Here is the OMSI home page.

It's simple. The only change would be to establish a new category on the forum thread. Eventually, if there was a lot of input, subcategories for states and/countries could be established.
Great job. I did notice that the tour stops at a bus in front of the Museum of Science. I suspect that bus is actually your camper, and you have a box of donuts in it, making you the VooDoo Master yourself!

I think this (or something like it) could be a great aide for those who travel as tourists with their segways. Good luck with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:54 PM   #57
BoscoBob

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Great job. I did notice that the tour stops at a bus in front of the Museum of Science. I suspect that bus is actually your camper, and you have a box of donuts in it, making you the VooDoo Master yourself!

I think this (or something like it) could be a great aide for those who travel as tourists with their segways. Good luck with it.
Since I am still an FNG on the forums, I don't know how to set up a main header. If one of the more senior people could set that up, I'd be glad to add a number of glides in the Portland/Salem area.

And, no...no bus or camper for me (and, no Voodoo donuts until I take a few more pounds off my frame). My doctor put the kibosh on my driving and I no longer have a driver's license. For me, it's Segway or sit at home. Amtrak is a godsend. The take Segways on board and have zero issue with them. They even give a gimp-o discount. The nice thing about Amtrak is that most of the stations are right in town, so glides to and from the stations are easy.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:22 PM   #58
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoBob View Post
Since I am still an FNG on the forums, I don't know how to set up a main header. If one of the more senior people could set that up, I'd be glad to add a number of glides in the Portland/Salem area.

And, no...no bus or camper for me (and, no Voodoo donuts until I take a few more pounds off my frame). My doctor put the kibosh on my driving and I no longer have a driver's license. For me, it's Segway or sit at home. Amtrak is a godsend. The take Segways on board and have zero issue with them. They even give a gimp-o discount. The nice thing about Amtrak is that most of the stations are right in town, so glides to and from the stations are easy.
I had to look up your FNG link. Very colorful! (I enlisted in Jimmy Carter's Army, and got out of Ronald Reagan's Army, so the term somewhat predates me, although I can only imagine it applied to me many time since then)

I do not know what you mean by setting up a main header. I can start a new thread, but not create a new forum with a topic. As far as a tab in the blue menu bar, that and the new forum have to be done by moderators or those with more privileges than me. (More knowledge as well)

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote