SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Community Feedback and Support

Notices

Community Feedback and Support For community-related suggestions, feedback, technical questions, problems and support.

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 01:13 AM   #11
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPaxton View Post
Nonetheless, I apologize that my comment to you left you no means of answering, and now that I know, rest assured all my feedback will have my name on it. Please feel free to leave a negative, it would only be fair
+B
You might have been one of those that gave me bad rep because you had a knee-jerk reaction to something you thought I said or because you didn't really read what I said. Just like now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
In any case, I don't use it to give good or bad points. I try my best to speak my mind either openly or in private - usually openly because I got very little to hide.
Even SEGsby didn't have the problem with me that you and others had. If you have so much respect for him, try showing it by spelling his name the way he does. Even with my complaints, I never once showed him disrespect - I addressed him politely (including spelling his name correctly) and always spoke my mind and what I believed to be the truth. You and a few others punished me for not knowing him as well as you do.

What the reputation system doesn't allow is exactly what I was able to do openly. I challenged SEGsby's motives and intentions, expressed my displeasure and after hearing more from him was able to show my appreciation for him. I still have my original objection, but I like the guy more because was able to communicate with him instead of at him.

Jim
PS: Worm, could you repeat that in English?
Old 04-01-2007, 01:15 AM   #12
Worm
Worm is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I did post my post 3 times while correcting typos and adding words. Then when I finished and stupidly posted the same long thing 3 times I saw Desert Seg's post. So I deleted two of my 3 just so everyone would think Desert Seg was the one drinking red wine and was seeing triple

I tried to give eJm rep points and couldn't. So now I know I did give him bad anonymous rep points. When I can (before I die hopefully) I will give him a good rep for being upfront and honest.

I gave Desert Seg a good rep point because he thinks they are ridiculous. It's always nice to do something nice for someone when they say they don't want something nice. (they really do) and he deserves it.

And I gave Billy Bob Sagal a good rep point because he was whiny and saw that he got some good rep points but also got bad ones. And because of that (the bad ones) he wants to demolish the system. So maybe if we all give him good rep points he'll let the system stay and he won't whine.

BUT I agree with Billy Bob. This whole thing is about communicating openly not behind backs.

I think I really learned that from SEGsby and eJM in the last few days.

So I'll make sure to sign my name if for some reason I give someone good or bad rep points. And keep giving Billy Bob good rep points to keep him happy.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:22 AM   #13
Worm

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM View Post
Jim
PS: Worm, could you repeat that in English?
I apologize for several things. I've learned something from you. I posted an anonymous negative rep. to you (not really thinking about the anonymous thing, just more a thing of rating posts). I won't give any more anonymous rep points, good or bad. I realize from you that this is about communicating in the forum. And you communicate very well, honestly and upfront whether I agree with everything or not. And when I can I will give you a positive rep because of your positive communication contributions.

Last edited by Worm; 04-01-2007 at 01:31 AM..
Old 04-01-2007, 05:52 AM   #14
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
I find this whole topic ridiculous. Are we really so shallow that we constantly seek the approval of others?

Who cares who left what type of reputation? We all know what we each are capable of providing to this forum and whilst a new member may not, I bet many of the new members will figure it out pretty fast.

There were people who hadn't even realized there was a rep point feature until Plo made his first post about this oh so many months ago. Sure, there are going to abuse the system but if we let sleeping dogs lay then most people will ignore it.

Finally, I build my own opinion on a person's value, an opinion not based on reputation points or number of points, but based on their value as an overall SegwayChat member.

Steven
I agree with Steven. I don't really know if people care, pay attention to rep points. (except for some of those, of course who are posting to this thread). I went through a phase of posting positive rep points and then lagged off. Furthermore, I have received my share of negative rep points as well. I didn't care much about the points received because I was stating my mind in those posts which I elicited a negative response.

Again, our reputations are made through time and experience and through multiple interactions with folks. Our reputations are not based on a multiple-click system of ratings.

I believe a person's reputation on this site for being knowledgable about the Segway is paved through multiple interactions. A newbie to this site looking for answers will get responses from many many people. And invariably the new member will receive response to the constant participant rather than the on-again off-again poster. Everyone who posts regularly here knows a thing or two about the machines.

People who come to this site for any extended period of time will learn to trust, say Karl's opinions and experiences regarding the Segway. People will learn that Plo loves Polo, people will learn that Tarkus, among others is a staunch advocate for DRAFT and so on.

THAT is reputation. Points [should] mean nothing.

Again, I'm not keeping score, and I don't think the majority of posters are as well.

-Sal

Last edited by Sal; 04-01-2007 at 06:03 AM..
Old 04-01-2007, 07:07 AM   #15
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Now that the administrator has recorded his opinion, this issue is dead. But it sure looks to me like you just posted several reasons why the vBulletin reputation system doesn't work, all of which I agree with. When people either disregard it, don't understand it or realize it doesn't matter, I wonder why it is left on.

Well, the answer isn't important now.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:29 AM   #16
behindblueeyes
behindblueeyes is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I am still new this forum, at times this place is very informative. And then sometimes it's just not. Just my 2cents.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #17
Worm

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM View Post
Now that the administrator has recorded his opinion, this issue is dead. But it sure looks to me like you just posted several reasons why the vBulletin reputation system doesn't work, all of which I agree with. When people either disregard it, don't understand it or realize it doesn't matter, I wonder why it is left on.

Well, the answer isn't important now.
eJM I think you are totally wrong. Because the administrator has stated his opinion does not mean any issue is dead!

He is not a judge issuing a verdict. His opinion is just his opnion.

He just happens to be the administrator. (and I trust him and give more weight to his opinions than most others)

If he locks the thread, yes then the issue is dead. But this isn't locked.

Sal made no judgment, Sal made no verdict. Sal stated his opinion.

Absolutely no disrespect to Sal.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:05 AM   #18
Worm

5 yr Member

Sal, or anybody:

Is there somewhere on this site that explicitly explains how it works, how many points you get for what, when you change from "junior member" to "member" to whatever. How you get a red box under your name like a very few people have. I've looked and I can't find it.
???
Old 04-01-2007, 11:01 AM   #19
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Sal, or anybody:

Is there somewhere on this site that explicitly explains how it works, how many points you get for what, when you change from "junior member" to "member" to whatever. How you get a red box under your name like a very few people have. I've looked and I can't find it.
???
The vBulletin manual has what you want. http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...putation_intro
Old 04-01-2007, 11:42 AM   #20
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have found a great many things that I don't know if that many people understand about this system, but maybe that is because of my personal ignorance at many of these things...

I am a very direct man, and while that often does not sit well with some, and my lack of tact doesn't sit well with others, it is something that both my supporters and detractors alike will usually agree to...

I have found that a system that allows "Drive by Flaming" will eventually always be abused in this environment. The only way to curb this activity, is to have people identify their posts, so that they can be made accountable...

Even the measure I just suggested is not conclusive at all. Many people here use names that do not reflect anything other than a fictitious character. Some of us use our own names. (The ones that I respect) I don't have any gripe at all with cute nicknames, but those who are adults have those, and are not afraid to use their names as well. (I'll pick on Desert Seg/Steven as a good example)

In many ways, this forum is not unlike on-line dating... Every profile is that of a neurosurgeon, with a jet set lifestyle, while the reality is that most are 30 year olds that live in the "Completly separate apartment" that is in mom's cellar, and they only Jet set around, if mom let's them borrow the station waggon...

Now, I have found green blocks good (The more the better), red blocks bad, (The more the worse), and grey blocks don't count. For some time you cannot give good or bad rep points to a person you already gave any points to at all, and after a while you can, but seem to only get grey blocks...

I have had the same number of points for a long time now, according to my User CP. Even after I get a run of good or bad comments. I don't know what that means or really care...

I do know that friends of this web site get tremendous amounts of rep points, from someone friendly to them going in and manipulating the numbers... That is okay, we are playing in someone's private property, and they should be able to reward their friends any way they want.

I agree with those who have said that the system is of marginal value at all, because of the ability to have people flame a person and not be held accountable. Unfortunately, if a person is new to this forum, they may wish to use those blocks, especially if they come from other forums where that service may be better managed. If they are unfamiliar or come from forums where they are managed poorly, or not managed at all, they will have little regard for that marker...

Clearly, anyone who reads a number of my posts will see that I am not driven by trying to gain acceptance of the masses. If a bunch of people take cheap shots at me, that is their issue, not mine... But I would be a fool if I endorsed a systems that allows this...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Closed Thread