SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 10-12-2019, 04:12 AM   #41
willballz11
willballz11 is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

Ok guys I know I'm gonna get some flack for this but I can assure you that I have done this multiple times. Ok lets start with how rediculous it it is that nobody knows how to diagnose a segway. Even the authorized dealers. How has nobody torn one of these apart and figured out what's what. Anyway. Back to the point of the rediculous battery replacement parts. Ok so what is the answer if you have a battery problem. Send it to a company or buy a new battery. Well I will be the first to tell you. I have 2 golf carts and when the batteries go so low the charger does not recognize the batteries to even charge them. So I have to jump start the batteries with a car charger for a few minutes so I can get the charger to recognize that a battery is plugged in. No different on a Segway. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY ON RECONDITIONING YOUR BATTERIES OR BUYING NEW BATTERIES. It's a sham. Look it up on your own. I have 22 remote control vehicles all with lithium ion batteries I'm fully aware on how they work and how they operate. Segway is the only company that's tries to make it like there batteries are so special. There still lithium ion batteries at the end of the day. This is true for all batteries, lithium or lead acid, if you must jump start the battery, do it from a like sized battery. ... It is perfectly fine to jump start the EarthX battery from another same size battery or use a jump pack. That is exactly what I did. I had a red light and a green light. Took the batteries off and tested voltage on both. One was 77v and one was 5v. So then I plugged in the Segway and tested the ports that the battery plug into. One read 27v. And the other read 11v. Not sure if that's a problem but it seems odd. Either way I used as heavy gauge wire as I could did negative to negative and positive to positive and let it sit for 40 seconds. Feeling both batteries the entire time and with a fire extinguisher nearby just in case. Neither battery heated up and when I tested batteries again the one that was at 5v was now reading 60v. So I plug in the two batteries on my Segway and Wala. Two green lights Segway recognize s both batteries now. So for all the people that don't want to waste there money on refurbished batteries or buying a new battery. Just try what I did first. You will thank me later I promise. Regardless of how everyone will try to scare you not to do this. Remember these are the people that want you to buy new batteries and pay for the service to refurbish your batteries. Think for yourself
I'm sick of these people acting like a Segway is some rare device. It's a computerboard with sensors on it and a charging port. It's not really that sophisticated. Come on people use your head. Is it as dynamic as a car? NO. is it as unique as the electrical system as your computer? NO. I stripped mine completely down and rebuilt it it's a few computer boards and some heavy batteries. Just remember if your batteries go below the threshold for the Segway to charge them.IE red light. Jump start the battery First from the good battery. You will thank me later.
willballz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #42
TahoeJoe
TahoeJoe is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

>gently drift the cells out of its sleeve

Yikes..mine aren't drifting, they're all stuck together
I got the nickel strips off both the top and bottom without breaking the battery up, but cant seem to get any movement on any individual cell. I tried gently tapping either side to get movement thru the sleeve, but nada.
Warning! These pics are pretty scary, but that where Im at.

If I keep digging like this it's gonna short out. I think i'll need to remove all the wires attached to the board, remove the whole block of cell, and work on surgically removing the bad groups with a popsicle stick and an X-Acto knife.

Anyone remember that game Operation?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191013_185524.jpg (211.4 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 20191013_185548.jpg (212.6 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg maxresdefault.jpg (117.7 KB, 79 views)
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 12:30 AM   #43
TahoeJoe

3 yr Member
Default Capacitor Spot Welder

@rene_canlas check out this Capacitor Spot Welder, I think he is from your area in thailand. Dont know the language, but this looks Ingenious! Dangerous as hell, but ingenious.

Old 10-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #44
dorrington
dorrington is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Joe,

YOU HAVE TO remove the pack from the bms!!!

if the cells are stuck it's most likely they have leaked abd glued themselves in.

support the surrounding cells and target the one you want to move...

I was rushing in this vid but you might get the idea...

https://wwwyoutubecom/watch?v=w6fT2OxN7Uw

you will have to add the dots...

Last edited by dorrington; 10-14-2019 at 02:12 PM..
dorrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:12 PM   #45
TahoeJoe

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willballz11 View Post
Ok guys I know I'm gonna get some flack for this but I can assure you that I have done this multiple times. Jump start the battery First from the good battery. You will thank me later.
Thanks for the input Will!

Jump starting a bad battery from a good battery first is a great point.
Most of us, I believe, are here after trying this "Guide to reviving the Segway Gen 1 and Gen 2 battery" method described here:
https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=36096

Which has worked for me on 3 out of 4 batteries. Your method does not call for a $100+ digital adjustable power supply, so I would definitely try your method first had I known, had any experience with Lithium-ion batteries, or just "used by brain" as you say...lol

I too was shocked with the lack of information available for average folks to fix this for themselves.

You're definitely preaching to the choir as far as resolving Segway battery issues by one's self. Im pretty sure that's why most of us are here. So, thank you so much for sharing the battery to battery tip! If you could post a pic of that setup, at this thread https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=36096 I think alot of people could really benefit to see it shown with a photo there.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:18 PM   #46
TahoeJoe

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrington View Post
I was rushing in this vid but you might get the idea...

https://wwwyoutubecom/watch?v=w6fT2OxN7Uw

you will have to add the dots...
Holy **** Dorrington, I get it now! Thats awesome! Im so glad I asked, and REALLY glad you actually did a video on this--you rock dude! Im on it.

And.. i also didn't know this forum blocks links to youtube
I'll add the dots.. thanks
Old 10-14-2019, 05:25 PM   #47
TahoeJoe

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
@rene_canlas check out this Capacitor Spot Welder, I think he is from your area in thailand. Dont know the language, but this looks Ingenious! Dangerous as hell, but ingenious.
Here's the link to youtube, you have to copy paste it because apparently this forum doesn't allow links to youtube.

youtubeDOTcom/watch?v=dCsd95DMZgE

Last edited by TahoeJoe; 10-14-2019 at 05:32 PM..
Old 10-15-2019, 12:24 AM   #48
TahoeJoe

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorrington View Post
Cool! That worked like a champ
see pic

I want to add, that I did a few things prior to trying this.. like dorrington said.. Be careful.

1) Wore protective gloves & goggles
2) Used wooden tools for prying and keeping each wire apart from any other, or anything.
3) Marked POS or NEG on the sleeve of each cell casing BEFORE removing and took photos.
4) When tapping out the cell, I tap down (with my wood dowel) tapping it on the NEG side. POS side is facing down on my work bench.
5) Kept the white washers (they pop out from the bottom), noting they fall off from the bottom, as POS side is facing down. From dorringtons video it looks like you have to drop the washers down, into the empty sleeve before inserting the new replacement cell.

So, now im just waiting for my 12 ebay replacement cells. Any tips for removing the cell casings from these new cells? Looks like you just slice it with a razor blade down the center and peel away. Just seems like another chance of shorting something.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qq20191014_193515.jpg (143.0 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg qq20191014_202324.jpg (127.5 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by TahoeJoe; 10-15-2019 at 12:45 AM.. Reason: add pics
Old 10-15-2019, 01:11 PM   #49
dorrington
dorrington is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

when you reassemble the pack, start with the big negative black wire and work your way around pole by pole intil you get to the big red one.

DONT LET ANY WIRE TOUCH ANYTHING OTHER THAN THE PLACE IT LIVES...AND IN ORDER.

do not solder on the board, remove the wires from the battery and solder them back in the board first

check, check and double check..if you get the polarity wrong at any point bms and / or segway will be destroyed!....
dorrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 12:43 AM   #50
TahoeJoe

3 yr Member

OK, got my replacement batteries and pure nickel solder strips today.

Removed all nickel sheetings and wires from the 12 cells to be replaced. So in order to mimic the groupings of cells and the nickel sheets that are spot welded on top and bottom, with replacement nickel solder strips, is this the correct way to lay out the strips? See pic..

I could not find any type of solid sheets that the original batteries have. It sure would be alot easier to get this sheet material, then snip with scissors to size for each cell group.

Im gonna really have to pay attention here, because the top cell groupings are different from the bottom cell groupings. I have alot of pics of both top and bottom so hopefully I can suss it out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solderstrips.jpg (179.8 KB, 77 views)