SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:02 PM   #21
bodyelectric
bodyelectric is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

i have six i2's - they all make this noise when moved slowly - it is completely normal....

cheers
rabbit
bodyelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 11:34 PM   #22
Drewi216
Drewi216 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

my segway dealer listened to the noise, she called the mother ship, and they are sending a repair kit.
Drewi216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:41 AM   #23
Glideslope
Glideslope is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Ok, a little gear lash is normal, but this sound ain't right. Sounds like one or more cogs are stripped to me. If you are standing on a Seg and slowly move back and forth you should hear the gear "sloping" in between each tooth. If you have listened to the stick shake and isolate one "click" then that is what mine sounds like (and others I have ridden). Yours sounds like serious gear slippage or pieces that have broken off and are now grinding in the gear box. Suggest you go to the dealer and ride several rental units in the store and listen to the sound they make. As was said before, each Seg has its own sound. I have noted that the sound when running runs the gamut from whine to low pitched grown, but never the stripped gear sound in your video. Hope this helps.
Glideslope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:54 AM   #24
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glideslope View Post
Ok, a little gear lash is normal, but this sound ain't right. Sounds like one or more cogs are stripped to me. If you are standing on a Seg and slowly move back and forth you should hear the gear "sloping" in between each tooth. If you have listened to the stick shake and isolate one "click" then that is what mine sounds like (and others I have ridden). Yours sounds like serious gear slippage or pieces that have broken off and are now grinding in the gear box. Suggest you go to the dealer and ride several rental units in the store and listen to the sound they make. As was said before, each Seg has its own sound. I have noted that the sound when running runs the gamut from whine to low pitched grown, but never the stripped gear sound in your video. Hope this helps.
I agree...this is a fair bit louder than it should be. I wonder if this would be apparent if some other sound was in the video. Something that everyone would recognize as a standard loudness, like a telephone ringing.

By the way, my instinct tell me to have you pull the offending gearbox off and look at the coupler. You just have to pull a few screws off and check around for shredded white plastic.
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:31 AM   #25
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Different Segways make different noises

You can have two I-2's or 2 I-180's and they will all make sounds different from the other one.

It is best to have a Segway Dealer Service proffessional look at (or in this case listen to) the sound to determine if it needs attention.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:34 AM   #26
JIO
JIO is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I don't have the pictures of the coupler with me as I'm in Hawaii on vacation. INC sent me the new couplers and I have them saved. I took apart the gearbox, cleaned out all the plastic shavings, and re-installed everything. The noise went away. It seems that simple rotation of the gears to a different position, does it.

It is quite easy to take it all apart. It did take some banging with a rubber mallet to separate the case and also to pound it back down in place. You will need a torx socket to remove the screws holding the case together as they are on quite tight.
JIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 08:51 AM   #27
Drewi216

5 yr Member

They are sending my dealer a repair kit, she didnt go into detail of its contents though
Old 02-01-2008, 12:57 PM   #28
Jendrik
Jendrik is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

...this sound a bit strange for me, too... none of our machines make such a noise... perhaps you could post a longer video so we can re-check it...
Jendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:41 PM   #29
Drewi216

5 yr Member

ok, i will post a longer video soon
Old 04-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #30
Pawsboy
Pawsboy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I've found the topic of gear noise interesting. I've "listened" to my i2 get increasingly louder after the 500 mile mark. Now at 1100 it's at and embarassing level. I'm fairly certain it's the gears involved with the regenerative braking. In other words going down a hill it's very pronounced, but when accelerating...nothing. And it does seem worse if not isolated to the left wheel. And as someone else said, it sounds like the plastic fender is amplifying it.

But I should be telling this to my dealer and not you fine folks.....
Pawsboy is offline   Reply With Quote