SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
Drewi216
Drewi216 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default odd gear noises

when my i2 is in RBM and i am moving it, it makes odd rattling (sp?) noises. It also does thes when one of the wheels goes from forward to reverse, or when i am moving less than one mph in one direction, does any one elses segway do this?
Drewi216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
BillK
BillK will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I think that your question is: When I am not standing on the Seg (an I2) and I am moving it under power, I get a "rattling" sound.

If that is your question then it is behaving normally and you are getting "stick shake". The Seg is telling you that it does not like traveling as fast as you are moving it without someone standing on it. Your only option is to move it much slower so that you do not trigger this response in the Seg.

The speed at which this occurs is too low for MY standards as well as it makes it very difficult to move it with the power on in public without making it look like you are mistreating the machine.

If I have misunderstood your question, I apologize and will stay in lurk mode.
Bill
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Drewi216

5 yr Member

you forgiven lol, its not the sitck shake warning, this is more subtle, its more along the lines of a gnashing rattling noise, i know that the RBM speed limit is very low, but i am talking about barely moving the machine
Old 01-28-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Drewi216

5 yr Member

let me elaborate on this, im not going from top speed to reverse, i am saying from a dead stop, slightly moving forward and backwards generates the same noise, it sounds like the gears have to much play inbetween there teeth and i can hear them catching on each other, but the way the gears in the segway are made contradict this fact (the swiss "watch" gears that slide on each other), and the other I2's that i have seen do not do this
Old 01-28-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
JIO
JIO is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

When I had odd gearbox noises, this was my solution....

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=16022

http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthread.php?t=16402
JIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIO View Post
Jio, the old pictures have evidently been moved, resulting in dead links. Could you load them onto SC and post again?

Did you ever have to actually install the replacement parts from INC, or did the cleaning and rotation of the old elastomeric coupling continue to work well? Does the coupling lift off easily?

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
sholloway
sholloway will become famous soon enoughsholloway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default I doubt anything is wrong

It is very typical for a new owner to get the machine home and then call me saying they are hearing "the rattles". In other posts you may read about rattling that is "loud" and "embarrassing" and that is certainly trouble. If you're hearing subtle rattles while standing almost still I think this is completely normal and most all machines do it. When you were testing the machine you were probably excited and not paying any attention at all to the sounds or maybe there was a radio on or street noise. Most new owners in my experience have noticed what you're noticing and it is completely fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

The rattle you are hearing is called gear lash, or backlash. You can learn more here.

The gist of it is that there is a gap between the gear teeth and when the motors rapidly change the direction of torque, the gap is closed causing a little click or rattle.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
Drewi216

5 yr Member

would this also be true for moving only in one direction? i know the segway rapidly apllies and removes power to the motors, would that be the cause,,... turn up the volume (this is the first time i have embeded a video, forgive me if this doesnt turn out right) <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XIPWz_VxpJU"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XIPWz_VxpJU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>
Old 01-29-2008, 06:24 PM   #10
Drewi216

5 yr Member

srry bout that, here is a link