SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-28-2019, 11:52 AM   #1
Nelda
Nelda is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default P-133 suddenly shuts down

A question about P-133, it suddenly shuts down. All will be good and it will beep and then shuts off. It can run perfectly for a long time and then it just doesn't.
As a person who uses it for mobility, that is very frightening. I don't know what else to do as I have checked the batteries, taken it apart several times, swapped the batteries, etc. The batteries are good. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do?
It's a special p-133 as it was signed not only by Dean Kaman but by his father as well.

Nelda
Nelda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Because it's such an old machine, there are many things that could be wrong or bad on it. Are you absolutely sure it's not a battery issue, because offhand, that's what it sounds like?

Otherwise, it would likely need a Segway tech to take it apart and test each component piece by piece.
Old 09-30-2019, 01:24 PM   #3
dorrington
dorrington is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi,

Have you tried it with a known good set of batteries?...or just swapped back and front.

I know the boards inside the batteries can rot causing intermittent faults.

You can get new boards made (PM me) but it would be a shame to buy them unless really needed....,that being said new cells wouldn't be a bad idea.

I have two good P133 batteries (i have three p133 machines) but I'm in the UK.

It would also be a shame for another machine to bite the dust......

Ian
dorrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 02:16 PM   #4
Nelda

5 yr Member

Thanks. My 4 other segs have all bitten the dust. The p's have refurbished batteries from MTO. Yes, I've switched the batteries around. So, I'll keep trying to figure this out. I miss the days I would spend hours and hours on Segway Chat!
Old 09-30-2019, 02:33 PM   #5
dorrington
dorrington is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

As a long shot,

It could also be the connectors where the handlebar fits,

set the handlebar to the lowest position, undo the hex screw on the base and remove the handlebars stem, do not unplug the conenctors.

start the seg and waggle the wires see if it quits...if so the cables are bad in the base or the handlebar..good luck.
dorrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #6
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelda View Post
A question about P-133, it suddenly shuts down. All will be good and it will beep and then shuts off. It can run perfectly for a long time and then it just doesn't.
Nelda
And then what? How do you get it to run again? How long does that take? There is obviously more to this set of symptoms.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
Philip
Philip will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
As a person who uses it for mobility, that is very frightening. I don't know what else to do as I have checked the batteries, taken it apart several times, swapped the batteries, etc. The batteries are good. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do?
It's a special p-133 as it was signed not only by Dean Kaman but by his father as well.

Nelda
Hello Nelda

Based on your description, it is likely that the fault that is causing your problem is located outside of the PowerBase itself. I say this because unless the issue is moisture inside the PB, most faults inside will "latch" the device so it won't restart (until serviced....and I am not sure this is even possible anymore).

So, the situation you describe is relatively good news, because it narrows down the location of the fault to one (or more) of:

1. a bad battery pack
2. a frayed or broken wire inside the cables that up up inside the Control Shaft (either above or below the connectors), or corroded/damaged pins inside the black and yellow connector plugs
3. a bad CSB/Control Shaft Base
4. a bad Handlebar

The above is probably ranked from the most-to-least likely order of where your problem is. But since your battery packs are recently re-packed, #2 or #3 is where my money is.

All of the above parts are easy enough to swap about, all you need are known-good parts on hand to test against - so you can isolate your problem part.

Regards
Philip
Old 10-03-2019, 08:13 PM   #8
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

...or perhaps a malfunction (over-sensitivity or random short...) in the mode button or it's wiring.

But Nelda hasn't been around since 9/30, and hasn't responded to questions.

I suspect that "what happens afterward" might reduce the number of possibilities.
Old 10-04-2019, 10:34 AM   #9
Nelda

5 yr Member

Thanks everybody,
It makes me feel good to know there are still people out there willing to offer help. I shall try again. It's terrible when one depends on a seg for mobility and then it turns off when ever it wants. Are there new scooters that aren't a kick start that one could use?
Old 10-04-2019, 03:40 PM   #10
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:
Thanks everybody,
It makes me feel good to know there are still people out there willing to offer help. I shall try again. It's terrible when one depends on a seg for mobility and then it turns off when ever it wants. Are there new scooters that aren't a kick start that one could use?
Perhaps you might answer the question that I asked?