SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 05-11-2018, 09:07 AM   #1
BatUtilityBelt
BatUtilityBelt is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default New MiniPros in Omaha

Hello Gliders!

I am brand new to the forum and to Segways, having only ridden one on a Garden of the Gods Segway tour last week (thanks Big Dee). My wife and I liked it so much we had to research and buy 2 miniPros (2017 model). They get delivered today and we are stoked.

Looks like there's a lot of great information here. I'm looking forward to learning a lot and hopefully contributing later.
BatUtilityBelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Don't turn while going backwards with the Segways. The kneebar controls the nose direction, not the tail. A huge percentage of Segway falls are from turning while backing up. Spin in place and then go.

Keep the tire pressure up at 45psi or so. Low tires drastically reduce range and cause the red spoke trim on the wheels to pop off from tire flex.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
truck
truck is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Those small tires aren't as forgiving as the big tires on full size Segways. Every imperfection in the road surface will jostle you.
truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 02:46 PM   #4
Pescador12

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
Those small tires aren't as forgiving as the big tires on full size Segways. Every imperfection in the road surface will jostle you.
Your bank account will find the MiniPro's far more forgiving. Send a full size Segeay to a repair center and hear the bankers laugh.

You really won't notice the road or its imperfections on a MiniPro. But then I often ride my MiniPro on a gravel road, so,....
Old 06-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #5
BatUtilityBelt

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
Don't turn while going backwards with the Segways. The kneebar controls the nose direction, not the tail. A huge percentage of Segway falls are from turning while backing up. Spin in place and then go.

Keep the tire pressure up at 45psi or so. Low tires drastically reduce range and cause the red spoke trim on the wheels to pop off from tire flex.
This is great advice! My wife learned the backwards thing the hard way 2 weeks ago... approached a wooden foot bridge without enough speed to stay stable, went backwards a bit, leaned, and boom - she now has a broken wrist with a titanium plate. 6 weeks until she can segway again, and now she wants to add the handlebar. I see the handlebar giving her a false sense of security, but if it works for her I'm all for it.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:19 AM   #6
BatUtilityBelt

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
They do ride differently! I've gotten used to the miniPro, and only wish it could go faster. The rest of the experience is awesome.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:21 AM   #7
BatUtilityBelt

5 yr Member

Quote:
Your bank account will find the MiniPro's far more forgiving. Send a full size Segeay to a repair center and hear the bankers laugh.

You really won't notice the road or its imperfections on a MiniPro. But then I often ride my MiniPro on a gravel road, so,....
I'm not brave enough to try gravel yet, but I see that happening at some point. My wife has told me she will stay on pavement always... time will tell.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:07 PM   #8
Pescador12

5 yr Member
Default wrist braces

Sorry to hear about the wife's fall. We used helmets and wrist braces for the first month. Now days the Segway is just an extension of my feet and I don't notice it while riding. Haven't worn the gear in a long time. I will step off and walk it over real wonky curbs or bumps that might be hard on the chassis.

Plenty of places to ride in Omaha. Makes it easy to park further out and ride into a crowded, for parking, area for lunch.

you tube.com/watch?v=H6B1drO4iGg&t=261s

Last edited by Pescador12; 06-01-2018 at 12:27 PM..
Old 06-01-2018, 10:27 PM   #9
BatUtilityBelt

5 yr Member

Quote:
Sorry to hear about the wife's fall. We used helmets and wrist braces for the first month. Now days the Segway is just an extension of my feet and I don't notice it while riding. Haven't worn the gear in a long time. I will step off and walk it over real wonky curbs or bumps that might be hard on the chassis.

Plenty of places to ride in Omaha. Makes it easy to park further out and ride into a crowded, for parking, area for lunch.

you tube.com/watch?v=H6B1drO4iGg&t=261s
Yeah, we started out a bit too aggressive going all the way around Lake Zorinsky and over those wooden bridges. That was my fault - she was following me. But we love it and she can't wait to get back to it after a bit of healing up. It's really fun seeing other peoples' reactions to them, and I think we've already talked a few other people into getting Segways also.
Old 06-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #10
Pescador12

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatUtilityBelt View Post
Yeah, we started out a bit too aggressive going all the way around Lake Zorinsky and over those wooden bridges. That was my fault - she was following me. But we love it and she can't wait to get back to it after a bit of healing up. It's really fun seeing other peoples' reactions to them, and I think we've already talked a few other people into getting Segways also.
That would be a long way. I rode from the boat ramp past the playgrounds and out around over a few bridges with two bars of battery. Came back with one blinking bar left and think it might have been slowing down. It was slow on the bridge that was a steep down hill to it with a steep climb back up from it that was near the playground/boat ramp area.

Talked to a few people about the minipro around the lake and followed a skateboarder and a bicyclist to get some low video of the wheels turning. Fun stuff.

Try Prarie Queen or part of Walnut Creek. I think Walnut Creek has one wooden bridge you could walk the segways over.