SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-30-2017, 05:51 PM   #1
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Transporting Two Segways

I guess this is mostly for anyone thinking about buying a new 'travel vehicle' . . . . which is exactly what we did when we bought our Segs - We got tired of lifting them in and out of the back of our Mazda wagon, plus they took up most all of the available room once we got them in there

Picture is of them in our 2014 Ford Transit Connect SWB wagon. There are 4 tie down points in the floor which are exactly where you would want them to strap down a pair of Segs. The front set of tie downs is exactly the width of the Seg wheels from the rear set, so the front strap is installed just like the rear strap. You can cinch them down very tight . . . . to the point that the tires have a flat spot on the bottom and they will not move, even on the roughest of roads

We've taken them more than 10,000 miles so far, to glide in cities in half dozen states. It's almost like the designers of the van knew what we wanted it for!

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000346.jpg (188.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg P1000470A.jpg (110.4 KB, 66 views)
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 06:35 PM   #2
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Transit Van

Very nice.

My wife asked me to look into one. Edmunds.com noted significant highway noise in the ride compared to other vehicles, what is your experience?
Ramps to put them in/out or are you team lifting them?
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Don M

5 yr Member

The Transit Connect is based on the Ford Focus chassis - Same suspension, brakes and 215/55 R16 tires. I would say the ride is a bit more . . . . sporty than any other van I've ridden in. Noise isn't a problem unless you're on pavement which the tires aren't particularly fond of. Many TC's are work vehicles with just the front buckets and a sparse compartment in the back with no interior paneling or insulation - Those are a bit louder, but the 'wagon' version with rear seating have the usual interior headliner, side panels and insulation. They are all made in Europe - Ours was made in Spain

Originally I bought ramps for loading, but they quickly got to be a pain - We gave that up after just a few trips. A Seg without the cargo bars is a bit difficult to pick up by hand, even for two people, but since we added the cargo bars they're both much easier to pick up and to strap down. We're both seniors and she is 5' 3" and we have no problem at all loading them by hand. We set the first one in with both of us standing on either side and then turn it 90 degrees against the wall. For the second one, we set a 12 by 12 inch piece of cardboard on the floor of the van and she sets one wheel on that and gets out of the way and I slide it in with the wheel with the cardboard until it's where it needs to be. If you want/need to pick them up, I highly recommend adding the bars. We would never go back to the ramps

The two notched pieces of wood keep them spaced apart, near the sides of the van so they don't come together when we tighten the straps

Our TC is a Gen 2, 2014 Short wheelbase model and they come with a 2.5 liter four mated to a 6 speed 'Select Shift' trans and the mileage is nothing short of incredible, IMO. We don't drive it everyday - We have two EV's that we use for daily transportation, so the TC only gets used for trips. For the first 20,000 miles we are averaging 28.4 MPG. Best tank I ever got was 29.8 and that was mostly running roads with 55 mph speed limits, but we were going through several small towns on that tank. Running 70 or 75, the overall 28.4 shown on the computer display will eventually go down a tenth, but then running 55 or 60 for a few hours, it will go back up to 28.4

Overall, we love the van. We take the Segs on almost every trip and with the rear seats either folded up or removed from the van, we have room for all sorts of baggage and a good sized cooler too. The Segs do fit with the rear seats up though - You can carry 5 people and the Segs

Don
Old 07-01-2017, 04:46 PM   #4
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Nice way to transport. Secure and out of the weather. The ones I see around my area ride in a tray mounted to the vehicle's hitch.

I was wondering if you used the Segway rental company out there. They mentioned the Eads bridge in their tour.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:41 PM   #5
Don M

5 yr Member

We've never ran across any places that 'rent' Segs - Perhaps there are such places and we've just not found them? Many cities have guided 'tours' that you can take (we took a 4 hour tour in Nashville before we bought ours) but you go where they lead you and it's over when you get back to the tour office. Are there places where you can just rent a Seg and take it anywhere you want to go . . . . ?

Don
Old 07-02-2017, 07:06 PM   #6
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
We've never ran across any places that 'rent' Segs - Perhaps there are such places and we've just not found them? Many cities have guided 'tours' that you can take (we took a 4 hour tour in Nashville before we bought ours) but you go where they lead you and it's over when you get back to the tour office. Are there places where you can just rent a Seg and take it anywhere you want to go . . . . ?

Don
Four hour tour seems too long for me. My feet would die.

There is no place like that around me (tour, rental, or buy a Segway). They had one but it went out of business back in 2012.
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:03 PM   #7
Don M

5 yr Member

The 4 hour tour included admission tickets to 3 Nashville museums plus the Ryman Auditorium (site of the original Grand Old Opry) so we weren't on the Segs all that time. It was a GREAT tour - If you're ever near Nashville, I highly recommend it. We had never set foot on Segways and they had us up and riding in only 15 or 20 minutes

Don
Old 07-31-2017, 01:47 AM   #8
Kev7
Kev7 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Sounds like a great tour. We will have to try it when we go to Nashville.
Kev7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:10 PM   #9
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post

Don
i would recommend getting a segvator dual electric lift for two the original company sucks but a used one might suit you you will need a 4 inch heavy duty trailer hitch and plug the segvator has hold down arms that clamp both segs = you ride on and go no need for strapping down

Last edited by rotorblades; 07-31-2017 at 05:16 PM..
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:31 PM   #10
Don M

5 yr Member

I considered something like a Segvator for use with our last car - I'm perfectly capable of welding up something similar on my own, but it's not 'right' for the way we use our Segs. An outside carrier would be perfect for short trips around town to and from home on a sunny day, but our trips are sometimes thousands of miles and several days long

We bought the Transit Connect mostly because I have zero interest in transporting the Segs out in the weather, even under a cover, nor would I feel safe parking overnight in a motel with them hanging off the back of the car - I'm sure that eventually we would come out in the morning and find them gone. Locked inside the car and covered up, nobody knows they're there

The way we're doing it now is working perfectly, which is why I posted this thread. Load or unload in just 10 minutes or so and no chance of them getting wet or stolen - Since I first posed this a month or so ago, we're now up to more than 15,000 miles and 4 more cities over the past year and we're headed out in the morning on yet another adventure. A 5 day trip to Vicksburg MS where we'll be putting a hundred miles or more on the Segs. We don't use them very much here around home, but we use them a LOT exploring new places and towns, which is exactly why we bought them

Don

Last edited by Don M; 07-31-2017 at 07:36 PM..