SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
Rolacoy
Rolacoy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

wmailhos, I tried to send you a personal message did you get it?

I tried to call the New Orleans tour operator yesterday, but it was after 5:00pm, will try today.
Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
wmailhos
wmailhos is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolacoy View Post
wmailhos, I tried to send you a personal message did you get it?
I did but got busy and forgot to respond. I will shoot you a note.
wmailhos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

The placards are for automobiles and therefore not required on your Segway. That said, a handicapped placard is very useful in cutting down on confrontations with rent-a-cops and other officious individuals.

(Apparently the Mouse has trouble understanding stuff.)
Old 01-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #14
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzined View Post
The placards are for automobiles and therefore not required on your Segway. That said, a handicapped placard is very useful in cutting down on confrontations with rent-a-cops and other officious individuals.

(Apparently the Mouse has trouble understanding stuff.)
Under the new rules that take effect in March, any OPDMD operator (which includes Segways) can be stopped and asked to provide proof of disability. There are several ways this can be done, including your state issued auto handicapped tag. But be careful on that. Here in MO you are required to have your documentation with you for the tag (it's just a couple sheets of paper...)
You'll find the details of this documentation when stopped in my summary at http://forums.segwaychat.com/showthr...007#post212007

One of the questions I'd like to have answered is will it be legal for them to require that you display a handicapped tag in order to use your segway, since they can now stop you and ask you for that proof (which they cannot legally do right now.). Seems to me that requiring you to display it is more a matter of convenience for them than it is a safety issue as required in section (h).
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:14 AM   #15
Rolacoy
Rolacoy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

When we travel we always carry the placard in our motor home, but not on display, we con't use them very much. Mostly I need the handi-cap convenience when a long walk is required. When we use the Segways my plan is to stick a small handi-cap sticker on the front of our LeanStear bags. Also carry a copy of the law and a copy of the placard on the bag. this may not work, but we will try.
Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #16
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

The State of Washington requires you carry a card issued by the Department of Licensing. This thing includes your name, DOB, Disabled Parking Privilege expiration date and your placard number(s). Technically, it is this card that gives you the privilege, not the placard. You can be ticketed if you have a placard but cannot produce the card.

The back of the card is filled with all sorts of non-sense like how to hang the placard on your mirror. BUT: you can tape your physicians' names and phone numbers along with your prescriptions and dosages over the top of this garbage. Then when someone asks for your meds, just give them your card.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #17
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

It seems to me that currently any "body' can purchase and or print out a placard for Seg use. When the new law goes into effect only the state issued vehicle permits should be recognized by enforcement personnel. This would certainly provide continuity between states and make it easier for enforcement officers and riders alike. Most and perhaps all states allow duplicate portable permits if you own multiple vehicles.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:23 PM   #18
Tarkus
Tarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the roughTarkus is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

You will not be required to display a handicap symbol on your Segway, but you will need proof of your disability if asked.
Notice I used the term symbol not placard. Proof of disability does not have to be a state issued placard so there is no need for two.

To be quite frank I don't understand why anybody would not use a placard. It's been my experience over the last six years that that little sticker can save you a lot of time explaining.

I never bought into the theory that people don't use a placard because they want to blend in...... blend in ? As soon as you get on a Segway the blending in part is over.

I find using a placard not only minimizes questions but also educates the general public that the Segway is used by many with disabilities.

I can't count the number of times where people looked at me the Segway than the placard and said "now there is a great use for technology!"

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Be Big,
AMAC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tarkus; 03-11-2011 at 01:47 PM..
Tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #19
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post

To be quite frank I don't understand why anybody would not use a placard. It's been my experience over the last six years that that little sticker can save you a lot of time explaining.

I can't count the number of times where people looked at me the Segway than the placard and said "now there is a great use for technology!"

Just my thoughts on the matter.

Be Big,
AMAC
For me, there is a factor that I want to offer. I surely could use a placard, but the abuse of the systems in place for those with disabilities is a common occurrance, and one that I believe has tainted the acceptance of those who use the blue zones, as an example, in a manner that many ABs see them being used, and wonder if the person actually has a disability.

Since I occasionally have a problem, but mostly do not, to display the placard, when the majority of time I do not need it, or need the protections for those who do need it, I believe it would confuse the issue more than it would benefit the community.

In other words, a person may see me one day on the segway with a placard, and another day see me running across the park, they will forever not trust either me, or the placard.

I find myself guilty of it as well. I know people whom have the parking authority placard, yet do not need the assistance. I know at least two individuals, whom have stated that they have the parking placard simply for their convenience, and not for need.

On principle alone, I will not be among them.

In the future, I will need and use the placard. I will need and use the facilities. Till then, I will not fly the blue flag.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:34 PM   #20
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
For me, there is a factor that I want to offer. I surely could use a placard, but the abuse of the systems in place for those with disabilities is a common occurrance, and one that I believe has tainted the acceptance of those who use the blue zones, as an example, in a manner that many ABs see them being used, and wonder if the person actually has a disability.

Since I occasionally have a problem, but mostly do not, to display the placard, when the majority of time I do not need it, or need the protections for those who do need it, I believe it would confuse the issue more than it would benefit the community.

In other words, a person may see me one day on the segway with a placard, and another day see me running across the park, they will forever not trust either me, or the placard.

I find myself guilty of it as well. I know people whom have the parking authority placard, yet do not need the assistance. I know at least two individuals, whom have stated that they have the parking placard simply for their convenience, and not for need.

On principle alone, I will not be among them.

In the future, I will need and use the placard. I will need and use the facilities. Till then, I will not fly the blue flag.
I agree: use it if you need it. Leave the parking spaces for those who do need it if you can.
There are days when I can walk and days when I need the Segway. There are days when I can walk as far as the door and use a shopping cart as a walker. This is definitely weather related. <G> If I am using the Segway it is either because I need it that day or because the walk is too long at the best of times.

If I am planning to ride the Segway into a store, then I plan to park a distance away because I can handle that. If I have a lot of shopping to do, then I plan to use a cart. You can push one while on a Seg, but it is certainly not totally convenient, especially when you get one with bad wheels...

Question: How did those people get a placard without a doctor's prescription? That is medical fraud if they got it without needing it....unless your state laws are lax on the matter.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote