SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #1
Wallace
Wallace is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Question is the Layne Built LLC, Segway based wheelchair ready yet?

Is there any recent news regarding the status/availability of the Layne Built LLC, Segway based wheelchair from AUTONOMY in AZ?

The Johnson & Johnson iBOT is no longer available and parts for it will not be available after 2013.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
laynebuilt
laynebuilt is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Autonomy Laynebuilt chair will be available soon

Please stay patient, We are making some adjustments to prepare for manufacturing. Realistically about 2 months away.
Thanks
laynebuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:10 AM   #3
msfireboy
msfireboy

5 yr Member
Default Wheelchair enquiry

I too am interested in using a segway as a wheelchair. I have MS and have been using a Segway for mobility since 2005 or so. It's great for this purpose but it's getting harder to get my leg up high enough to get on so the wheelchair option is fast approaching.

Having used one for so long and also manual wheelchairs sometimes, the suitability of using a Segway in this fashion is so obvious...It is lighter (than a powerchair) therefore transportation is far less of an issue, It stays basically vertical no matter what slope you are negotiating, so tipping is a non issue, and it's maneuverability, small footprint and non existent turning circle all combine to make it more pedestrian friendly. It's also quick when appropriate and has a healthy range. There is no comparison really.

I have had an engineer look at the challenges of converting my old Gen 1 into a wheelchair and all the challenges are surmountable....but it's probably easier to leverage off someone who has already done all that work, so....

When will the laynebuilt wheelchair be ready, how much will it be, will you ship to australia and will it be avialable in a kit form to place on an existing Gen 2?

These and many other questions arise in an enquiring mind - any enlightenment?
msfireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Bluespook
Bluespook is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Great Idea

I am quite fascinated by the concept of the laynebuilt chair, as I understand it. Is there a public site where I can learn more?

Blue
Bluespook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #5
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

As a new member I have been browsing this website for quite sometime with interest in finding products that make the Segway a functional mobility device. I came across the Laynebuilt Autonomy Wheelchair sometime ago and have had regular email conversation regarding it's progress. For your information I received an email yesterday that it is READY AND AVAILABLE FOR SALE for those of you who have interest in this product. I have balance issues when mounting/dismounting a Segway. This product with the kickstand, making the Segway as stable as a chair, is exactly what I have been waiting for. I suggested they make the announcement on this site but haven't seen it yet.

Test rides available in AZ and the cost is $12,500.00 complete and apparently a customed fitting to meet your personal needs.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #6
rickb

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post
Is there any recent news regarding the status/availability of the Layne Built LLC, Segway based wheelchair from AUTONOMY in AZ?

The Johnson & Johnson iBOT is no longer available and parts for it will not be available after 2013.
The Lanye Built is ready for sale.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:29 AM   #7
rickb

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace View Post

The Layne Built Right2B is ready for sale for those of you that didn't hear the news.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:02 AM   #8
Bru
Bru is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I recently received email from Tarik Williams<autonomymobility@gmail.com> - "We are scheduling no obligation test drives and fittings for January in Phoenix and will have a few chairs in stock for the first few that come. Order time when the first few go will be 3 weeks. The cost is $12,500. The 2nd week of January is fairly open at this time."
Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:39 AM   #9
msfireboy
msfireboy

5 yr Member
Default Query on price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bru View Post
I recently received email from Tarik Williams<autonomymobility@gmail.com> - "We are scheduling no obligation test drives and fittings for January in Phoenix and will have a few chairs in stock for the first few that come. Order time when the first few go will be 3 weeks. The cost is $12,500. The 2nd week of January is fairly open at this time."
This cost seems inordinately excessive. I can get a new i2 for less than $6000. I understand that there is a cost to developing the wheelchair components on top of that but $12500 is over double the price. I have priced similar concepts and they are significantly cheaper (by about 50% including shipping to Australia). What am I missing here? I am happy to be corrected.
msfireboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
rickb

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msfireboy View Post
This cost seems inordinately excessive. I can get a new i2 for less than $6000. I understand that there is a cost to developing the wheelchair components on top of that but $12500 is over double the price. I have priced similar concepts and they are significantly cheaper (by about 50% including shipping to Australia). What am I missing here? I am happy to be corrected.
The price is much higher than I expected, however, getting a new product ready for production and finally tooling up for actual production is extremely time consuming and expensive. I doubt that the right2b is going to be sold in mass numbers and there has to be some cost recovery and profit motivation. Many users will find other concepts like SegSaddle, Segseat, and Freedomglidr to be perfectly useable for their individual situations and much cheaper. For users with balance issues when mounting and dismounting I haven't seen other concepts at all similar to the right2b. Adequate stability with the kickstand down to use the Segway as a chair. If the reliability/ build quality is there and it test rides as good as it looks in the videos it is probably worth the price. Personal opinion of course.