SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:02 AM   #1
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Keep Austin / Portland weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
You're doing your part to Keep Austin Weird!
For the benefit of those unfamiliar with Austin's culture (perhaps you mistake it for Texas!), let me refer you to the Wikipedia article:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:04 AM   #2
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
For the benefit of those unfamiliar with Austin's culture (perhaps you mistake it for Texas!), let me refer you to the Wikipedia article:

Note that a Segway is no more weird a mode of transport than an armadillo!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

You may have already known this, but that slogan is not unique to Austin.

There are even parodies like this:

SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

There is a Portland in most states, just like there is a Springfield, a Burlington, and many other town names.

How are we to know where a person is from, if they only say 'Portland'?

I know of a Portland about 40 miles from my home, and that Portland is in New Hampshire. Is that were all you weird Portland people are from?

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:09 PM   #5
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
There is a Portland in most states, just like there is a Springfield, a Burlington, and many other town names.

I know of a Portland about 40 miles from my home, and that Portland is in New Hampshire. Is that were all you weird Portland people are from?
I always thought that Portland was just there to keep MA and ME from fighting border wars over lobster pots.

(And yes, I knew of the Portland weirdness; it was imported from Austin. The Austin one was created quite some time after my last visit there, but it didn't escape my notice, and it's apt.)

Old 01-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #6
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:

I wasn't trying to convey a location. The point was simply that it is a different city than Austin. I didn't mention the state because it wasn't relevant to what I was trying to say.

Anyway, I think you probably figured I was talking about Oregon...
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:56 PM   #7
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
I wasn't trying to convey a location. The point was simply that it is a different city than Austin. I didn't mention the state because it wasn't relevant to what I was trying to say.

Anyway, I think you probably figured I was talking about Oregon...
I had not figured out that it was Oregon. How or why would you think I figured that out? Were there clues? I looked at your name block on the left of the posts, and it does not indicate anything to differentiate one Portland from another.

So thanks for telling me.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #8
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
I had not figured out that it was Oregon. How or why would you think I figured that out? Were there clues? .
Personally, I thought the "Portland - OR" on the second image was perhaps a clue.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #9
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
Personally, I thought the "Portland - OR" on the second image was perhaps a clue.

This thread= Madness.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
This thread= Madness.
I wasn't mad - I was just answering Karl's question.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote