SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Videos and Podcasts

Notices

Videos and Podcasts For all Segway-related multimedia posts, music, podcasts, videos, etc.

Old 11-11-2014, 04:35 AM   #1
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default Tactical segway

So, I'm an avid firearms enthusiast, and as many of the old guard may remember, I use a Segway as a mobility device. Consequently I started toying around with firing from the Segway. As time has gone on, I've become more proficient at it. This last weekend I attended a defensive firearms drill, and they happened to be filming a commercial for their training services. Consequently they got some footage of me running some scenarios from the Segway in the video. Enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Very cool. Good to see you and how well all persons were integrated into the training. The pan across the students, showing a broad cross section of people, young and old, male and female was a good point for me. These skills are of value to any who want them, and it was nice to see people exercising their right to develop them.

And, of course, it was good to see you again...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by segsurfer View Post
So, I'm an avid firearms enthusiast, and as many of the old guard may remember, I use a Segway as a mobility device. Consequently I started toying around with firing from the Segway. As time has gone on, I've become more proficient at it. This last weekend I attended a defensive firearms drill, and they happened to be filming a commercial for their training services. Consequently they got some footage of me running some scenarios from the Segway in the video. Enjoy!

Video is private

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
Video is private
I don't know what that means. I have watched the video twice now, just from hitting the play icon on the link...

perhaps there is something local to your computer that prohibiting your viewing.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #5
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Works now.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Old 01-21-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

I've got no problem with someone who wants an appropriate firearm for personal defense, but in the video I'm seeing semi-automatic assault rifles and what appears to be body armor, smoke grenades, two-way radios, and God knows what else.

This doesn't appear to be intended for defending one's home against an invader or one's person against a baddie. An assault rifle is an extremely poor choice for either of those functions, and it's unlikely you'll have time to armor up. However, it has many hallmarks of those training for the end-of-civilization, or perhaps defending oneself against the government, which is not an uncommon thought amongst those who feel the need for such weaponry.

My question: With the fall of civilization, how will one charge a Segway?
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:56 PM   #7
KSagal

As a person who has been professionally trained (thanks to the United States Army) on how to use an "assault rifle", I have to say I believe it to be an excellent weapon to defend against a home invasion, or a baddie...

Although, I am not sure of what an 'assault rifle' actually is, as I believe it is defined in many ways, most of them not consistent with any accepted norm.

My understanding of a true assault weapon would be one capable of full automatic fire, but that is not the point here.

The point here is that these people received the training of their choice, in the weapons of their choice, and those choices are not considered good choices by some of the posters here.

And for the record, Solar power is easily able to be maintained off the grid, so if you are looking for a post apocalyptic way to charge your segway, I might point you in that direction.

I might also suggest that with the fall of civilization, it may be more productive to reconsider your position on personal weaponry than charging sources for your segway. (at least at first)

Glide more, smile more. Glide till doomsday, and beyond!

Old 01-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #8
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Yeah, if one requires a Seg, and one's bunker is solar powered, or you know someone who will allow you to use their precious power to charge a Seg (or you use your superior firepower to eliminate the original owner), then you have a good solution.

I won't argue about the whether an "assault rifle" is defined by whether it is capable of full automatic fire. Most military versions have single shot or three-round burst capability, and many military people are trained to use single-shots, except for specific situations. Most recently, the Charlie Hebdo terrorists were said to be professionally trained because they used their AK's in single shot mode. The intended usage of the design of those weapons (high power, big clips, modest effective range) defines their usage, at last as much as full-auto capability does.

As a person who has been professionally trained in firearms by the military, my perspective is that the choice of a high-powered semi-automatic rifle ("assault" or not) for home defense can only be justified if one thinks one's home will be invaded by something other than an individual or two who are primarily intent on robbery.

For anyone else, the rounds fired are far too powerful for use inside a home, easily able to penetrate walls and kill anyone (including family members) who is unlucky enough to be on the other side. It's an individual choice, but it's a bad one for "home defense", apart from the apocalypse or attack by "jack-booted government thugs". In addition, you can't get into K-Mart (and an increasing group of other stores), with an AK slung over your back (legal or not) unless you intend to use it to gain entrance. So a bad choice for most everything....except military or paramilitary usage.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 01:55 PM   #9
Gihgehls

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
As a person who has been professionally trained (thanks to the United States Army) on how to use an "assault rifle", I have to say I believe it to be an excellent weapon to defend against a home invasion, or a baddie...

Although, I am not sure of what an 'assault rifle' actually is, as I believe it is defined in many ways, most of them not consistent with any accepted norm.

My understanding of a true assault weapon would be one capable of full automatic fire, but that is not the point here.

The point here is that these people received the training of their choice, in the weapons of their choice, and those choices are not considered good choices by some of the posters here.

And for the record, Solar power is easily able to be maintained off the grid, so if you are looking for a post apocalyptic way to charge your segway, I might point you in that direction.

I might also suggest that with the fall of civilization, it may be more productive to reconsider your position on personal weaponry than charging sources for your segway. (at least at first)

Glide more, smile more. Glide till doomsday, and beyond!
"We don't know who struck first, us or them. But we do know it was us that scorched the sky. At the time, they were dependent on solar power. It was believed they would be unable to survive without an energy source as abundant as the sun."

So as long as there is no AI apocalypse, we should be ok.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:22 PM   #10
KSagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post

As a person who has been professionally trained in firearms by the military, my perspective is that the choice of a high-powered semi-automatic rifle ("assault" or not) for home defense can only be justified if one thinks one's home will be invaded by something other than an individual or two who are primarily intent on robbery.

For anyone else, the rounds fired are far too powerful for use inside a home, easily able to penetrate walls and kill anyone (including family members) who is unlucky enough to be on the other side. It's an individual choice, but it's a bad one for "home defense", apart from the apocalypse or attack by "jack-booted government thugs". In addition, you can't get into K-Mart (and an increasing group of other stores), with an AK slung over your back (legal or not) unless you intend to use it to gain entrance. So a bad choice for most everything....except military or paramilitary usage.
I am glad to hear that you are a veteran. Thank you for your service.

As far as you deciding that one weapon or another is too powerful to use in a home, because the rounds can penetrate the walls, and kill people in another room, I agree. You can make these decisions for yourself, but the constitution guarantees that you are not empowered to make those decisions for the rest of us.

With regard to the walls in my home, many are drywall. I can penetrate them with a screwdriver in my hand. I don't know of pretty much any weapon that cannot shoot thru the walls in my house. I know a .22 rifle can do it. I know my 9mm semi automatic hand gun can do it. I imagine a .38 revolver will easily go thru the two layers of drywall and still be a threat.

Surely, my M16 (from years ago in the Army), has a round however, to make your point, that would easily go thru several walls. I suspect it would continue to an outside wall and possibly stop in the plywood sheeting.

I do not know why you have made the value judgement you have made on the types of weapons in the video, and while I endorse you making your choices, I feel it a bit out of place to offer up the judgement calls on the other people's choices as appropriate or not, on this forum. I do not know enough about each individual situation to offer such blanket condemnations.