SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:02 PM   #1
fabricGator
fabricGator is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Default X2 v. i2 what is the real difference?

I know the x has big tires for rough terrain but only goes 1/2 the distance, greater ground clearance, and likely a few other things I don't yet realize.

I want both in one machine.

Can I get an X2 along with a spare set of i2 wheels and fenders and then get the full distance when I have my 'highway' tires installed or get the offroad amenities when set up X2 style?

I am not sure if there are different discharge algorithms or motor controllers beyond the obvious.

Are the batteries the same even?
How about the front battery and the back battery, can they be run in either position?

I have lots of questions...
Once you fine folks get me caught up and educated, I'll likely have lots to offer back
Cheers!
fabricGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
fabricGator

3 yr Member

Perhaps I am fooling myself in thinking that the difference would be as simple as a wheel and tire change....
Old 06-11-2019, 12:25 PM   #3
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricGator View Post
I know the x has big tires for rough terrain but only goes 1/2 the distance, greater ground clearance, and likely a few other things I don't yet realize.

I want both in one machine.

Can I get an X2 along with a spare set of i2 wheels and fenders and then get the full distance when I have my 'highway' tires installed or get the offroad amenities when set up X2 style?

I am not sure if there are different discharge algorithms or motor controllers beyond the obvious.

Are the batteries the same even?
How about the front battery and the back battery, can they be run in either position?

I have lots of questions...
Once you fine folks get me caught up and educated, I'll likely have lots to offer back
Cheers!
Like you said they are more the same than different.....Batteries the same, just software changes.....You will never get the best of both worlds...

The X2 has better low end and more forgiving say on inclines and jumping things, if you tried that with the i2 it goes into a controlled shutdown faster.....I have one of each and messed with tire size on both...
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:17 PM   #4
dorrington
dorrington is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I run my I167 as an xt...not had any problems...although it's like comparing apples and oranges..lol

Batteries don't care where they live.
dorrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:38 AM   #5
fabricGator

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
Like you said they are more the same than different.....Batteries the same, just software changes.....You will never get the best of both worlds...

The X2 has better low end and more forgiving say on inclines and jumping things, if you tried that with the i2 it goes into a controlled shutdown faster.....I have one of each and messed with tire size on both...
Thank you for this information airdale.
So where are we with custom hacks and such. if a 12 year old can hack an iPhone, have we made any progress on retraining our $6500 toys?

If I am reading correctly, the X2 is more ruff and tumble for offroad conditions and will accept a jostle or two while powering through the woods... but it really does not run on sidewalks so well.

Have you actually tried to mount the tires on opposite machines? I Believe the i2 wheels are a smaller diameter where the rubber hits the road, and that the X2 has more power torque to turn those larger wheels up hills and such... so I am imagining that the X2 model with i2 wheels should be like a Tesla in berserka mode.

*( please keep in mind that I don't really have any hands on experience or first hand knowledge with either a Segway or a Tesla.... at least not yet )
Old 06-12-2019, 10:45 AM   #6
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Thank you for this information airdale.
So where are we with custom hacks and such. if a 12 year old can hack an iPhone, have we made any progress on retraining our $6500 toys?

If I am reading correctly, the X2 is more ruff and tumble for offroad conditions and will accept a jostle or two while powering through the woods... but it really does not run on sidewalks so well.

Have you actually tried to mount the tires on opposite machines? I Believe the i2 wheels are a smaller diameter where the rubber hits the road, and that the X2 has more power torque to turn those larger wheels up hills and such... so I am imagining that the X2 model with i2 wheels should be like a Tesla in berserka mode.

*( please keep in mind that I don't really have any hands on experience or first hand knowledge with either a Segway or a Tesla.... at least not yet )
Yep, done it all......Put i2 off road tires on my X2, more low end and reduced top end......I have 23" tires every day X2, little faster slow off the line.....The i2 with the big tires fly, get to aggressive it dont like it warns you, keep pushing it will go into controlled shut down....

Some old timers here talked about hacked software but that was done at a Segfest many years ago....
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:33 AM   #7
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Haha, I actually have one of each! With a little luck, you will too. :-)

That said - if you're interested in getting an i2 SE, I'm getting tempted to sell mine... I'm just not using it as much as I hoped - the free time I thought was coming with a little slowdown at work never materialized, so it's sitting idle way more than it deserves.

If you're interested in it, send me a PM...

and if you want to talk Tesla, I'm happy to do that too. Picked up a Model 3 about 2 months ago; it's the most amazing thing I've ever driven. Really incredible - I can feel Doug Field's spirit through both my i2 SE and the Model 3. Amazing how one man can have that kind of impact. Now he's back at Apple, so I'm waiting to see how their automotive program goes too!
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #8
fabricGator

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
Yep, done it all......Put i2 off road tires on my X2, more low end and reduced top end......I have 23" tires every day X2, little faster slow off the line.....The i2 with the big tires fly, get to aggressive it dont like it warns you, keep pushing it will go into controlled shut down....

Some old timers here talked about hacked software but that was done at a Segfest many years ago....
About a week after I had originally emailed techsupport@segway.com I received this reply:

Each Segway PT model is software specific based on many factors, including tire turn radius. If a customer would like to install a non-compatible model tire on their PT, the PT would need to be returned to the factory (via dealer coordination) for software update.

I had imagined this being the probable case, that in addition to tires and fenders, that there was differing software parameters to account for the changes.

I believe I saw a fender kit for $70 and I2 wheels for $360 or so. Too bad I could not address and flash the ROM easily to facilitate the changes. What would be really great would be if there was a thumb drive or SD micro that held the OS and in addition to the labor to swap the wheel kit, then just swap out the corresponding software on an SD Micro card. I can imagine and dream...

Now, if corporate were to make their units even cooler by adding these configuration possibilities, perhaps they would be a better commercial success.

I think people like 'Mods' and options...
"I am going to take the 40' tour bus to an isolated campground next week, I should configure the Segway for trails and forest trek, for my ambulatory wife"
Old 06-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #9
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

More iPhones are made in one day than Segway has sold since the beginning.

Thus, a LOT more people work on hacking/jailbreaking phones than will ever do so for the exceptionally low-volume Segs.

Having been following this forum since 2005, I really can't think of anyone who has done any hacking on the Segway operating software, and/or battery management systems. Felix Fetche has done some recent good work with battery monitoring, but it sounds like you're looking for an implementation of an I2/X2 switch. I don't know of anyone who has changed operating characteristics, or anything like that. Perhaps someone who was an insider, back when Segway expressed interest in individual customers, has different information.

The possibility of great commercial success, as envisioned by Dean Kamen, evaporated a LONG, LONG time ago.

Last edited by Civicsman; 06-16-2019 at 02:46 PM..
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:53 AM   #10
fabricGator

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
More iPhones are made in one day than Segway has sold since the beginning.

Thus, a LOT more people work on hacking/jailbreaking phones than will ever do so for the exceptionally low-volume Segs.

Having been following this forum since 2005, I really can't think of anyone who has done any hacking on the Segway operating software, and/or battery management systems. Felix Fetche has done some recent good work with battery monitoring, but it sounds like you're looking for an implementation of an I2/X2 switch. I don't know of anyone who has changed operating characteristics, or anything like that. Perhaps someone who was an insider, back when Segway expressed interest in individual customers, has different information.

The possibility of great commercial success, as envisioned by Dean Kamen, evaporated a LONG, LONG time ago.
Thank you for your input and speculation.

I have many undeveloped product and business iterations. I can imagine that getting his 'baby' to market, and actually getting as far and successful as he was, Dean had / has a great product, that eventually became his demise. I have always been intrigued by the PT. I lost track of them over the years and then something peaks my interest again. I remember that I desire one. Hopefully some day soon, I have a few extra dollars, time and planets align and a good condition vehicle becomes available for me.

I am confident that this will happen, I am making it happen just by joining this forum.

Cheers!

Anyone, please let me know if I can have your previously loved and now 'out of fashion' PT that is taking space in your storage area...