SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 03-19-2008, 08:58 AM   #11
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan View Post
I would love to build it but would most certainly end up screwing something up..... Maybe a demonstration at fest????

JEremy Ryan
Yes I'll bring it. My problem is the 5lb lead acid battery - I hate to pack that in my luggage (not sure what the airline thinks of anything except NiMH) and certainly don't want to buy a $30 battery in Indy just to play with a laser.

Here is a you-tube video of the maglite version.

Note: again, if you follow instructions on this youtube video, expect your laser to burn out in under 70 hrs. Depending on the batteries, I've seen some die in under two hours. Spend $15 and make a regulated power supply! It only takes 10 minutes!

Green 200mW

Red 205 mW

Blueray 45 mW

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have a number of laser pointer from the past years... Are any of them, (which most still work fine) good fodder to be used and upgraded to cutting strength? Is it a matter of power that make it work as you show, or is it a combination of a stronger laser and the power?

I find this very interesting. I wonder if you could use it to say... Heat up the air in your tires, to increase the pressure, till you could get to the air pump... Or maybe, scan your power base to warm it up a little to avoid having to send it to Inc for that $200.00 cold start fix...

Or just to scorch your name into paper...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:04 PM   #13
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I have a number of laser pointer from the past years... Are any of them, (which most still work fine) good fodder to be used and upgraded to cutting strength? Is it a matter of power that make it work as you show, or is it a combination of a stronger laser and the power?

I find this very interesting. I wonder if you could use it to say... Heat up the air in your tires, to increase the pressure, till you could get to the air pump... Or maybe, scan your power base to warm it up a little to avoid having to send it to Inc for that $200.00 cold start fix...

Or just to scorch your name into paper...
A laser pointer diode is a very low wattqage, usually sub-30mW - not good for anything except getting a cat or dog to run in circles for hours. You can either buy a diode (I think a nice 200nm red costs around $12) or you can use a diode from an old DVD burner. CD burners can also be rigged to cut or burn but I would not recommend this for any reason - their spectra are invisible to the human eye, and even with protective glasses you can blind yourself before you ever realize the exposure. And from what I've been told its extraordinarily painful.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 03-21-2008, 01:28 PM   #14
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

Default I love Real Genius

My sister-in-law directed the movie and my brother Mike had a bit part.

They said after filming they couldn't eat popcorn for months!

Still one of my favorite movies!

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:45 PM   #15
BillPaxton

Mine too, tell your sister-in-law I think she is a brilliant director!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
My sister-in-law directed the movie and my brother Mike had a bit part.

They said after filming they couldn't eat popcorn for months!

Still one of my favorite movies!

Old 03-21-2008, 01:46 PM   #16
BillPaxton

I finally finished w/ the DIY instructions, replete with photos. Its in PDF format so I can't embed it into a PM, so please PM your email if you would like it.