SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 03-16-2008, 01:20 PM   #1
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Exclamation If you ever wanted to be a laser geek like on "Real Genius"

here is the laser (class III radiation safety glasses in background for scale) - its fairly simple to mount on my handlebar, although the 15v battery is pretty heavy. I've been asked to bring it to SF, so I will.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

That's insane. Be careful with the [air quote]laser[air quote]
-segsurfer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by segsurfer View Post
That's insane. Be careful with the [air quote]laser[air quote]
-segsurfer
No worries - I carry several pairs of safety glasses. As long as you are wearing those, it would take me more than 90 seconds, with both of us perfectly still, for me to get it to the point of burning you more than pinching out a cigarette. This one is only 30mW at 4-500nm. Hard to see the beam in daylight, but it will cut paper like a razor blade, light a match at half a mile (if you can hit it), pop a balloon in seconds, or DESTROY A WHITE LIGHTBULB in just under 3 minutes. Goes right through the clear glass housing

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
Old 03-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #4
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

Talking

Interesting. And now to ask the question on everyone's minds...why? I believe you posted earlier that you sourced the laser from a blu-ray player, what drove you to dismantle one?
-segsurfer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #5
BillPaxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by segsurfer View Post
Interesting. And now to ask the question on everyone's minds...why? I believe you posted earlier that you sourced the laser from a blu-ray player, what drove you to dismantle one?
-segsurfer
You can buy the diodes directly, they are not expensive the housing pictured cost $3 and the lense $10 (laserpointerforum.com) and the gizmo with the on/off switch is a regulated power supply so you don't burn the diode out in 40 hours like you do if when you mount it in a maglite. I will start a separate thread in off topic.
+B

Old 03-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #6
RAG1247
RAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Bill - From what I read, and if my understanding is only partially correct, I certainly wouldn't want such a laser to be reflected or directed into my eyes (or anyone else's eyes for that matter). Is there a useful function or purpose for this laser?

"If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you"
RAG1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #7
segsurfer

I believe he originally built it to permanently disable pesky light bulbs at a distance. IMO that qualifies as a useful purpose.
-segsurfer

Old 03-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #8
BillPaxton

Exclamation If you ever wanted to be a laser geek like on "Real Genius"

I've had a few comments and questions on my laser post. Let me preface this with a warning: SAFETY is very important when working with lasers - you see warnings not to look into a laser beam at the checkout line at your store, when you buy a laser pointer, and etc. What I am describing is a Class II laser, capable of starting a fire, cutting, or permanently damaging your retina in 1 millisecond; safety glasses cost $6 (safetyglassesusa.com) and they are not ugly like when you were in lab at high school - USE THEM and have enough for anyone in the room. If you accidentally move your laser and it reflects off a chrome finish into your eye, you will be permanently blinded before you realize you slipped.
If you are still interested, parts are very inexpensive and very easy to come by; you can convert an LED flashlight into a cutting laser for about $30 if you have an old CD-R/W drive laying around that you dont mind gutting. If you are starting from scratch with no spare parts, you can buy everything you need including 15v battery for about $90. There are about 90 laser diodes you can buy that are many different wavelengths and wattages that are more visible or more destructive and the price varies WIDELY. Ask me before you buy, there are tons of shady vendors. Also ask me before you buy your safety glasses, if you buy a blueray diode and a set of green laser-rated safety glasses, you are not protected - you need to understand light wavelengths to protect your eyes properly.
All that said, if you want instructions just PM me - even tho its easy to google how to do it, I would want to go over everything with you for safety sake.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #9
RAG1247
RAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPaxton View Post
I've had a few comments and questions on my laser post. Let me preface this with a warning: SAFETY is very important when working with lasers - you see warnings not to look into a laser beam at the checkout line at your store, when you buy a laser pointer, and etc. What I am describing is a Class II laser, capable of starting a fire, cutting, or permanently damaging your retina in 1 millisecond; safety glasses cost $6 (safetyglassesusa.com) and they are not ugly like when you were in lab at high school - USE THEM and have enough for anyone in the room. If you accidentally move your laser and it reflects off a chrome finish into your eye, you will be permanently blinded before you realize you slipped.
If you are still interested, parts are very inexpensive and very easy to come by; you can convert an LED flashlight into a cutting laser for about $30 if you have an old CD-R/W drive laying around that you dont mind gutting. If you are starting from scratch with no spare parts, you can buy everything you need including 15v battery for about $90. There are about 90 laser diodes you can buy that are many different wavelengths and wattages that are more visible or more destructive and the price varies WIDELY. Ask me before you buy, there are tons of shady vendors. Also ask me before you buy your safety glasses, if you buy a blueray diode and a set of green laser-rated safety glasses, you are not protected - you need to understand light wavelengths to protect your eyes properly.
All that said, if you want instructions just PM me - even tho its easy to google how to do it, I would want to go over everything with you for safety sake.

thanks for the info and the warnings

"If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you"
RAG1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

I would love to build it but would most certainly end up screwing something up..... Maybe a demonstration at fest????

JEremy Ryan