SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:22 PM   #1
Eric Payne

Default Fords - Built Tough

Got hit by F-150 today. Gilligan go bye-bye.

I'm not happy.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
LibertySegway
LibertySegway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player

OMG! I hope Eric is ok!!!
LibertySegway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #3
Isidore
Isidore will become famous soon enoughIsidore will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Any landing's a good landing if you walk away from it. Hope you are ok and if you feel up to it tell us more so we don't all do the same thing....
Old 03-11-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Sorry to hear of your loss. I surely hope you are okay...

I can only imagine that you will be able to handle the insurance company, but if we (I) can be of assistance, let us (me) know!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
Segwaiian
Segwaiian is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Auwe!

Oh! Ouch! No good!

Aloha, Eric. "Auwe" (ow-weh', with a short "e") is a Hawaiian word that means "Oh," or "Ouch," or "No good," in an annoying sort of way.

I echo everyone's concern for your well-being, and offer my condolences for your Little Buddy.

Aloha,
Roger
Old 03-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default On one level, this is Segway's fault...

Segway has designed a machine, with some important considerations...

One is the Lithium batteries that they chose to use...

A lesser company would have used a lesser battery, and the crunching and grinding would have resulted in a conflagration that would have consumed the truck!

The fact that Gilligan did not burst into flames is a testiment to Inc., but not always what we were hoping for...

Admit it, with that thing entirely under that truck, and clearly beyond hope, don't you kind of wish there was a hollywood style explosion that flipped the truck and sent everyone surrying for cover?

If that did happen, you know full well that guy would look twice before turning next time! And the press would make a field day of it, and most of us in the crosswalk would have less confrontations with the cars trying to bully us out of it...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:45 PM   #7
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Question ERIC - How are You?

We had a DCSEG Glider on a P133 hit by a school bus well over a year ago, and though she was pretty badly injured and is still suffering from it (though word has it she and the P will be at FesT) the P saved this womans life when it got wedged under the wheels of the bus and stopped it from running over her.

But you are just recovering from surgery, how are you doing?
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:01 PM   #8
Eric Payne

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwhopper View Post
... But you are just recovering from surgery, how are you doing?
Well, the pacemaker part of the defib works (already knew the defib did); had a pretty rapid heartbeat and started to breathe badly, felt a little cold, metallic feeling in my chest, and heartbeat fell back to normal. So I guess the little sucker works. My sutures are "dissolvable" and had, mostly, vanished, and only managed to pull one of them in my leap. I thought I had actually just jumped off back, but from what a witness said, I leaped over my side carrier.

The F-150 was coming to the exit of a strip mall, traveling west, and going to make a right hand (north) turn onto 67th Avenue, which is divided. So the only direction that driver looked was to the south; I was travelling south, but was still north of him. He never even looked my way. I got to the crosswalk at the same time as him, but I saw he wasn't looking and pulled back/leaned back... going backwards that very little bit - a foot, maybe - flat-out saved my life; as it is, a plastic strip windshield guard caught Gilligan's handlebar protector. As he drove out, and to the right, he pushed on that handlebar guard, pushing the left side of Gilligan out, and to the right, which pulled me into the side of his truck. I jumped over the carrier bag at the same time my left wheel was pulled into his wheel well, just in front of his tire; he kept going and pulled Gilligan underneath him.

But you know what friggin' irritates the hell out of me? Bill and I are HONEST. We could do what 90% of the public does, but don't. With my messed up interior and health, I could have spent today in a hospital ER swearing to back and neck pain. After all, what's one more doctor to see? Bill could have developed chest pains when talking to HR about their offer on the house - three years ago, Bill developed a sudden murmur, which led to a triple bypass and an artificial valve replacement, and Honeywell knows that, as he worked for them, and our group coverage paid for the procedure.

But we don't think like that... and in the end, we're the ones who, ummm, "get it in the end" is probably the politest way I can think of to phrase it. The cop who responded to the scene today didn't know Arizona's Title 28 defined the Segway as an EPAMD, and was originally going to cite ME for riding a two-wheeled scooter (which have been outlawed in Glendale). I almost had to beg him to call in to dispatch and ask them to look up Title 28.

And the driver's insurance company already laying the groundwork for: "We'll get you a new wheelchair, take it or leave it." Since that insurance company in Texas, now I guess I'll have to research Texas law on my own, and see how Texas views a Segway.

There are times I can understand the allure of a bell tower and a precision scope mounted semi automatic high powered rifle, let me tell ya.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:17 PM   #9
sholloway
sholloway will become famous soon enoughsholloway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Are the batteries OK? Maybe you could at least save those. Good luck with your new part time job of Texas Lawyer!!

sholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:40 PM   #10
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I was horrified when I saw the title of this thread...

My sincere best wishes for a speedy recovery, and painlessly replacing your Segway.

This is exactly the kind of thing I fear most, when I ride and have to interact with cars as an EPAMD User / Pedestrian... Drunk or stoned morons are second on my list.

All my best, and thanks for sharing your experience with us.
SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Payne View Post
Got hit by F-150 today. Gilligan go bye-bye.

I'm not happy.
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote