SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:50 PM   #1
Cube128
Cube128 will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Amazing spring break, horrible return

This has been an interesting week.

I spent the past week diving in Cozumel, Mexico, and it was an amazing trip. I traveled down to Cozumel with about a dozen fellow students from the University of Iowa, and together we got to do some of the most amazing diving I've ever logged, down to around 90 feet. We even got to do a night dive, which totally blew me away. On our second night, our whole group got upgraded for free to the five star part of the resort, and we're still not sure why, but it was even better. Oh, and it was all-inclusive, and the food (and booze :P) were all top notch.

When I got back, however, things weren't that great. Some items were stolen from my fraternity house, including a brother's $2000 laptop, and, sadly, my Xbox 360 along with my games and accessories. I've never had anything stolen from me and I'm really pissed off about it, but oh well, it's just material possessions, I guess. Now, if my Segway had been touched, things would be a little different.

So, an amazing spring break, but getting back... not so much .
Cube128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:02 AM   #2
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Does your insurance, or that of the house or your parents, cover the stuff?

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 12:20 AM   #3
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

When I was younger . . . MUCH younger . . . I had an apartment 1 block west of USC. It's a HORRIBLE neighborhood, but . . . when you're young, that's what you have to put up with sometimes. It was a single bedroom above a garage that I shared with my girlfriend (later to become wife).

We went away for a holiday weekend and much like your case, when we returned found it had been ransacked. Actually, that's not the right word for it. It had been emptied. Everything of greater value than a couple of pennies had been taken . . . everything . . . including the bed. My prized racing bicycle, which I had chained to the plumbing, was gone. Entry had not been subtle, the door simply ripped out.

Worse; neighbors had seen the entire thing but had chosen not to get involved due to fear of retribution.

Cops came, took report, nothing ever happened. Nothing was ever recovered.

The worst part was the feeling of complete and utter helplessness at the situation.

I feel for ya man. Hang in there.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default You really feel violated

When this kind of thing happens, especially in your own place.

I am sure that this was sort of planned, as they knew you guys were gone and no one would be really watching.

A friend of mine in Phoneix had the same problem, went out of town, only to have the cops call his cell phone while he was in Hawaii to tell him the place had been broken into. Though turns out they took his broken computer equipment and failing stereo and TV. He locked any of the good stuff in the trunk of his car in his garage and hid the spare keys in the attic.

Bummer, I feel for you Cube!
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:48 AM   #5
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default just a thought

If you call Microsoft and report it stolen, when the thief plugs it in to use it the MAC address can be identified on MS Live (if you have it, great, but they can get the info from your last login) and they can determine the ISP and account of the user. The police can find it from that info. If you happen to have the serial number of your laptop, you can get the MAC address of that too from the manufacturer and give it to the police, but that usually doesn't amount to much because the average ISP won't give up any info unless compelled by a subpoena.
I'd smack my frat brothers for not watching my room if I were you.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote