SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-17-2020, 01:09 PM   #1
lastephenson
lastephenson is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member
Default Insurance

How do you get your insurance company to pay for your Segway?
lastephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:18 AM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastephenson View Post
How do you get your insurance company to pay for your Segway?
Pay for?....Or insure?....Think when I looked a few companies would insure them.
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
lastephenson
lastephenson is on a distinguished road

3 yr Member

How do you get your health Insurance company to pay for your Segway? I suffer from multiple sclerosis.
lastephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #4
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

If you can get your physician to prescribe a Segway, then insurance MIGHT pay something.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #5
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

As I recall, some insurance policies may pay for “durable medical equipment”. However, a Seg does not qualify for that definition. Segway specifically avoided the medical market, and the extensive testing that is required for approval as a medical device. (At least, it USED to be required. Hard to know, anymore, with the actions being implemented by what currently passes for “government”. Currently, those with existing medical conditions, or even those who are just older, are written off as defective; not worthy of governmental consideration).

Getting insurance to pay for a motorized wheelchair is probably easier than getting them to pay for a Seg. Check with your insurance company to see what your policy allows for your situation.

Also keep in mind that riding a Seg requires a level of control and, importantly, personal balance, that some people may not have. The machine stays upright, but the rider has to be able to stand (or sit, with a SegSeat) and control small shifts of weight to control the machine.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
As I recall, some insurance policies may pay for “durable medical equipment”. However, a Seg does not qualify for that definition. Segway specifically avoided the medical market, and the extensive testing that is required for approval as a medical device. (At least, it USED to be required. Hard to know, anymore, with the actions being implemented by what currently passes for “government”. Currently, those with existing medical conditions, or even those who are just older, are written off as defective; not worthy of governmental consideration).

Getting insurance to pay for a motorized wheelchair is probably easier than getting them to pay for a Seg. Check with your insurance company to see what your policy allows for your situation.

Also keep in mind that riding a Seg requires a level of control and, importantly, personal balance, that some people may not have. The machine stays upright, but the rider has to be able to stand (or sit, with a SegSeat) and control small shifts of weight to control the machine.
I belive you are correct....I think we had a thread or two on this many years ago?
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:35 PM   #7
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
I agree. Anyone who doesn't have a good sense of balance and excellent muscle control would more than likely injure themselves trying to ride a Seg. It looks much easier than it actually is and *most* Segway tour companies won't accept first time riders over age 65 . . . . probably because their insurance company says it must be so

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, ms call my prescription, multiple sclerosis