SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #1
MarkB
MarkB is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Lean steer issue

My lean steer has to lean left, or right when gliding straight ahead. I have checked the tire pressure, it is good, and equal. While assembling I noticed a pop when I pushed the lean steer to the right. Did I break, or tweek something? It stands up straight when sitting still, but when I ride, I have to adjust to the left or right to go straight.
Thank you all, Mark
MarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I do not take my lean steer frame off much (Has not been off in over a year or two) but to center mine, I often put it on just barely tight, and push it hard left and right, to get that pop you mentioned. Then tighten it up.

When you first put it in, the wedges will grab the steering hub. Often times, it will be off just a bit, and will pop one direction or the other. This is not a problem.

It is sometimes difficult to adjust it exactly center. The handlebar looks straight enough, but as you glide, as you know, it will drift one way or the other.

When this happens, I do adjust it to compensate. I have had to take a couple of tries some times to get it just right.

One of the members here has made a centering device on his CAD machine, and it sounds like a great product. I have not bought one only because I so rarely take my machine apart. It may be a good product for you.

One thing to consider is the road you are on. I live on a road with a crown, and the segway will drift to the side. If you are on dead level surface, and the machine drifts to one side, pay attention to which. Then loosen your lean steer frame, and try to make small adjustments. It is hard not to over compensate. It can be done, but takes practice.

I am sure there are far better tricks that those who dis-assemble may offer up, but a little perseverance should pay off with a straight track on your segway.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
My lean steer has to lean left, or right when gliding straight ahead. I have checked the tire pressure, it is good, and equal. While assembling I noticed a pop when I pushed the lean steer to the right. Did I break, or tweek something? It stands up straight when sitting still, but when I ride, I have to adjust to the left or right to go straight.
Thank you all, Mark
This, the POP, often happens when the LS quick release or lock down is not properly centered. The sound occurs when the LS goes to far in one direction. It is best to re-center the LS.

The trick for centering the LS is to provide a counter-balance to the LS's weight when you try to attach it. A Segway without a LS will typically balance upright. As soon as you attach the LS, the forward weight causes the base to lose balance and one is stuck trying to balance the base and center the LS.

Provide some type of counter-balance and then you can use both hands to center and tighten the bolt or quick release tool. It may be necessary to swivel the LS as you reach 90% tight to ensure that it is in the center. It's even a good idea to test glide the Segway and whip the LS back & forth a couple of times and then inspect the centerline and make adjustments as needed.

I think that the counter-balance idea will help to make it a much easier task. Good luck.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote