SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:01 PM   #51
fcfactory
fcfactory

5 yr Member
Default This is a good thing!

Competition is good...actually fantastic.

Seeing the Winglet, even though experimental, is great for the consumer!

It shows the guys in New Hampshire that they will not be exclusive anymore... Can you imagine INTEL without AMD. What price would we pay for microprocessors if INTEL was alone in the market...

This will help drive down the price of Segway to a more realistic number.

I remain convinced that mass market appeal would be phenomal at 1/2 price...
fcfactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #52
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Don't get too excited. You're not going to see this thing outside of Japan or possibly China. And Toyota is well known for doing concept "vehicles" and not following through. They had one last year, as I recall. But Segway owns the rights to the self-balancing technology in all the countries except Japan and one other (China, Taiwan??? can't remember exactly - but it's Asian). I doubt that Toyota will bring this to market. But it's fun to look at.
Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcfactory View Post
Competition is good...actually fantastic.

Seeing the Winglet, even though experimental, is great for the consumer!

It shows the guys in New Hampshire that they will not be exclusive anymore... Can you imagine INTEL without AMD. What price would we pay for microprocessors if INTEL was alone in the market...

This will help drive down the price of Segway to a more realistic number.

I remain convinced that mass market appeal would be phenomal at 1/2 price...
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #53
mark1qhorsey
mark1qhorsey is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Thumbs up Cover the wheels?

The utility of enclosed wheel covers for the I2 might be an easily manufactured aftermarket fix?

How about it, inventors out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud01234 View Post
The only thing I see that's worthwhile in the winglet, is the bubble sideskirts that cover up the outside of the wheels and would help avoid the nasty falls when a segway newbie brushes up against a wall.
mark1qhorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 06:29 PM   #54
MJEdelman
MJEdelman is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Wheel Covers...

You have to balance the wheel covers against the potential increased hassle for maintenance of the wheels (e.g., adding air). It's already hard enough to get to that bent valve stem
Old 08-12-2008, 08:52 PM   #55
ledebuhr1
ledebuhr1 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

So we wont see real competition for the Segway untill the patents run out? how many years will that be? Id like to know how much they would cost if made in China a larger scale.
ledebuhr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 11:57 AM   #56
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Hmmm, with China's quality control, are you sure you'd buy something that requires precision and redundancy?????

Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 01:59 PM   #57
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

There's no reason to knock the quality of products that come from China. When contracting with China, you get exactly what you pay for. Most of my iPhone and PC were made in china. I'm sure some parts of the PT are built there too. If you want cheap crap, you get cheap crap. If you pay up for good frabriction, you get it.
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 03:34 PM   #58
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
There's no reason to knock the quality of products that come from China. When contracting with China, you get exactly what you pay for. Most of my iPhone and PC were made in china. I'm sure some parts of the PT are built there too. If you want cheap crap, you get cheap crap. If you pay up for good frabriction, you get it.
Well, it's not necessarily just about what you pay for, but also what you inspect for. As for any supplier, from any country.

If you just pay, and don't inspect, you really don't know what you're getting, whether your supplier is in China, Nambia, or Newark. If you don't care enough about quality to pay and inspect for it, then your quality is based on luck.

In most of the cases of poor quality from China (and elsewhere) recently, one has to wonder about the quality controls of the importing company.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #59
safety1st
safety1st will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Good and bad

Anyone look to see where the PT batteries are made? Wait, is this a good example or a bad one?

David
safety1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #60
Twyfer
Twyfer is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Smile

I'm old enough to remember when "Made in Japan" meant junk. Not any more. Things change. They learned some lessons and now have some of the best quality control in the world. I'd say Chinese goods are in a similar state of transition.

As far as Segway having exclusive patents on the technology; as other people have already pointed out, a company like Toyota could buy Segway Inc and their patents ten times over out of petty cash.

If Segway Inc didn't want to sell Toyota could simply hire dozens of high powered patent lawyers and drain Segway Inc dry with legal challenge after legal challenge.

Whether or not Toyota market the Winglet will depend on Toyota's own assessment of market opportunities and strategic direction.
Twyfer is offline   Reply With Quote