SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #11
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
The Prius, however, allows an arbitrary split of power via the electrical vs mechanical paths. I don't know the details of the Volt's mechanical path, but the PSD allows close optimization of the ICE, where both power draw and ICE RPM are independent of the wheel RPM. Can the Volt system do that? There are other ways, but planetary gears are dead simple and reliable.
Yes, it's my understanding that the Volt can do that, and does in fact use planetary gears. Here's a far better explanation than I can provide.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/e..._how_it_ticks/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
Why couldn't you use a Segvator? Are hitches not available? Are custom ones not possible (or would they be too pricey)?

Prius's aren't supposed to tow, but I have an after-market hitch designed specifically for the Gen1 Prius. Since lots of people use hitches for all manner of non-towing attachments, like bike racks, I would expect hitches to become available if the Volt is sold in any appreciable numbers, unless there's some serious technical barrier.
Unfortunately they've designed it in order to preclude exterior modifications in the name of lowering the drag coefficient. The reversing light is right where a hitch would ordinarily exit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:32 AM   #13
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by segsurfer View Post
Yes, it's my understanding that the Volt can do that, and does in fact use planetary gears. Here's a far better explanation than I can provide.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/e..._how_it_ticks/
Thanks!

I always considered the use of a planetary gear and Motor/Generator pair to give a variable-ratio split between a mechanical and an electrical path to be the coolest part of the Prius. I'm glad to see good ideas leveraged broadly.

The modifications they make are interesting. I expect the motor-speed issue with the Prius would eventually disappear with sufficient refinement of motor technologies, and dynamically changing what the ring gear is locked to is a bit of extra mechanical complexity. But how to do that reliably is well-established in transmissions, and more aggressively using the mechanical path for a car which is designed to be primarily electric makes a lot of sense.

Cool!

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote