SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:25 AM   #1
GOUTRYDER
GOUTRYDER is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default I am using the Segway for a job interview tomorrow!!!!

I am 36 and last week experienced the worst pain in my life. It was a GOUT Attack on my left ankle that has left me bed ridden for 6 days. The interesting part about it was that I have a job interview coming up in 6 hours and today I went to get me a Segway. So imagine, I can barely stand because of the pain, and had to stay in my bed and piss in bottles because it was too painful to stand, except if it was #2, where I would crawl to the bathroom. Here I am thinking I should go out on job interviews. Solution?

The Segway!!!

So I can atleast use my crutches, and since it was my left foot messed up, I could still drive. I went to the store, picked it up, then rested my crutches on the stand and rode the segway back to my SUV. I got someone to help me lift it in the back, and everything was good!!

This will be way better than showing up in the interview hobbling around slowly in crutches looking like a loser to be shown pity. Now I will show up tomorrow 7 feet tall in a $1000 suit, and will instantly "break the ice", they will probably want to hire me just so they can try out the segway.

The rental of the segway cost me $125 per day, so I jsu t have to return it after the interview. The contract is worth $200,000 for 10 months of work, so you can imagine why I would go to these extremes and not miss out on this interview.

Has anyone a story like this to share? I will post my results of this interview in the coming days.

This is the only way to roll!!!!
GOUTRYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I went for my last two job interviews both on my Segway (an i170 at the time). The first interview I made it through the first round (psychometics, presentations etc.) and was invited back for the actual interview itself. However, I didn't get this job - and put it down to my journey home. Everyone was watching me through the glass as I unchained my seg and left the premises - and under that intense pressure (trying to look cool and employable), I clipped a bollard as I went around a corner - which put me on to one wheel. A bit of a wobble but I landed it and carried on...

Second interview was more successful. No incidents with bollards but I did have to power assist the Segway up a flight of stairs.

In all honesty, the Seg probably had no impact on the outcome of both interviews but it certainly put me into a good mood - which can only help!

Good luck!
Old 12-22-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
GOUTRYDER
GOUTRYDER is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi GBrandwood,

Thanks for sharing your story and wishing me good luck! the difference with me is I was able to drive to my interview, but needed the Segway instead of using crutches. I had to use my Segway all the way into the interview room. The office people all looked at me when I got to the floor. and this is an open concept office, where you can see from end to end windows and people coming and going, like the size of a football field. As soon as I came out of the elevator everyone started looking, pointing and people knew it was the Segway. It was embarrassing, because I had a full suit on, so it was kind of awkward. but who doesn't like a little bit of attention once in a while?

Anyway the Segway "broke the ice" between me and the interview panel, and they appreciated that I still went to the interview despite my messed up left ankle. I hope I get this contract, but I think my chances are slim. It was more of a senior technical architect role, where I am more of a people person role like a business analyst or project manager. But who knows right? If seen worse fits between people and jobs in the past.

The great thing about this, is that I got to try out a Segway for a day.
GOUTRYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:23 AM   #4
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I've arrived at job interviews in a wheelchair, and on Segway.

Segway is superior.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote