SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 06-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #1
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default How Young is Too Young?????

So, I was speaking with a family friend who also happens to be a 2nd grade teacher for the Madison Metropolitan School District. We were talking about cell phones and she informed me that a majority of her students have cell phones! In 2nd grade???? I thought this would be a good off-topic discussion as I know we have parents here.

My question is this and it is strictly opinion, but at what age do you consider a cell phone for your kids?? How young is too young?? In my opinion, a good age would be 16. When a kid starts driving I think a cell phone is a good idea (a majority start driving at 16 where I'm from). I think it is a great tool for keeping in touch with parents, but only when needed! What are your thoughts on this matter??

Jeremy Ryan
Old 06-25-2008, 12:18 PM   #2
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

I think a cell phone is appropriate for any child who will be by his/herself away from the parents for most of the day. I learned how to opperate a phone at a young age and clearly understood the do's and do not's regarding which numbers to dial. I think getting them started young on cell phones makes perfect sense.
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:38 AM   #3
Moebius

Thumbs down It makes you wonder...

how any of us got by when cell phones didn't exist. How did I get through a 2nd grade day without a cell phone? That's just the way it was. Now people feel that since they exist, it's a requirement or an entitlement? Ummm...yeah.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:28 PM   #4
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

The world is a different place than it was when you were in second grade.
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:14 PM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
The world is a different place than it was when you were in second grade.

This is true. But the world was a different place when my father was in 2nd grade than it was when I was in 2nd grade, and different again now that my son is in the 2nd grade...

There have always been pressures to keep up with the jones' and have then newest, latest thing. Some of those things have a value, some do not, most have a useful function that is a tiny percentage of how they are actually used.

My 2nd grader does not have cell phone, and will not get one for years. He is also not another's child, and I will not suggest how others should raise their kids...

For me, it is a simple tool, and some people can use them responsibly, and some not. This is not age specific. I believe that schools can and should regulate activity in their classrooms, but not go much further. They have a need to keep distractions in class to a minimum, but should not go further into infringing on parental rights to raise their kids with the values that the parents think are most important.

Having a cell phone for my 8 year old is so far from important, I cannot find an appropriate adjective.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 01:16 PM   #6
GlennO
GlennO is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

IMO - it should be as young as he/she can operate them, so 1st grade would probably work, but mostly to get emergency services - more than so for just chatting.

Glenn
GlennO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:08 PM   #7
pam
Last of the Early 30
pam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond reputepam has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

IMHO, Glenn's idea is good. Sorta graduate them up from cell phones that only do emergency services or can be preprogrammed to call only a few numbers (like mom and dad and 911). Then in a year or so (when they haven't called mom and dad every 30 minutes and HAVE called mom and dad when they should, and have answered when they should) they graduate up to more privileges.

Of course, I'm a fuddy duddy. I remember a time when we had to call the operator to get a phone call in town (I think I was 10-12 at the time) and we all had 3 digit phone numbers.

Pam
pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #8
Skinnee D
Skinnee D is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

If it's Gr. 1 or 2, I think that might be a little too young. That would put them at 7 or 8 yrs. old. I think 12 or 13 yrs. old is fine. Just because it's a different time or kids are learning things faster and earlier doesn't mean they need a phone strapped to their ear. I like Pam's idea of graduating up to phones with more options. I have two girls, the oldest is 3 yrs. old. I can't picture her with a cell in 4 or 5 yrs. It won't happen.
I started playing video games when I was 13 yrs. old. I see kids now that are 5 or 6 with a Nintendo DS or Sony PSP glued to their face. I couldn't picture myself that young playing games. I won't let my little girl play them or watch a lot of TV. She doesn't need it and she's more creative without it right now.
She might learn to use things earlier than myself but it will be around the double digit mark.
Skinnee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #9
segsurfer
segsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to allsegsurfer is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

I know that I got my first phone when I was twelve, and even then it was only because I started riding my bike to friends houses and my parents wanted to be able to keep tabs on me. I started out with a prepaid phone that my parents would buy a certain amount of minutes for each month. I was expected to use those minutes only for keeping in touch whith my folks, after that it was on me to buy extra minutes to call friends; consequently, this instilled in me a good habit of watching my phone use.
-segsurfer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
segsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:38 PM   #10
Moebius

Thumbs up That's the ticket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by segsurfer View Post
I know that I got my first phone when I was twelve, and even then it was only because I started riding my bike to friends houses and my parents wanted to be able to keep tabs on me. I started out with a prepaid phone that my parents would buy a certain amount of minutes for each month. I was expected to use those minutes only for keeping in touch whith my folks, after that it was on me to buy extra minutes to call friends; consequently, this instilled in me a good habit of watching my phone use.
-segsurfer
And I'm sure it gave you an appreciation for the value of a dollar...