SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 04-20-2007, 07:26 PM   #1
nora k
nora k has a spectacular aura aboutnora k has a spectacular aura aboutnora k has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member
Default How to have a thread conversation

I know Ben Stein meant to say "thread" and not "business"

http://finance.yahoo.com/expert/article/yourlife/29225
Old 04-20-2007, 11:23 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

That is good advise, especially if you don't want to say anything...

I'll bet he has a great recipe for milk toast as well...

I like Stein, but he is first and foremost a comedian who plays it so straight and dry, that his manner is hard to copy...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
That is good advice, especially if you don't want to say anything...
I completely disagree. Those rules offer deep insights on a very visceral weakness that many people have in their daily interactions with others. They are offered in the vein of how to conduct onesself in a business meeting, but those rules can apply on virtually any level of communication.

I am sure you have found, in your experience, that one gets much further in life, and business, when one can get one's point across without alenating those around you.

Quote:
I like Stein, but he is first and foremost a comedian who plays it so straight and dry, that his manner is hard to copy...
Stein, first and foremost a comedian?

One would have to have a sense of humor after playing a prominent role in the Nixon Administration.

I'd say he more of an outspoken and self-deprecating political scientist who is not afraid to pull punches against his own party.

-Sal

P.S. I need to work on those rules myself as I broke rule #8.

Last edited by Sal; 04-21-2007 at 12:22 AM..
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:35 AM   #4
nora k
nora k has a spectacular aura aboutnora k has a spectacular aura aboutnora k has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
That is good advice, especially if you don't want to say anything...
or...articulating your main point with precision before proceeding with your life. it's called brevity.

Quote:
I'll bet he has a great recipe for milk toast as well...
Ben Stein's recipe for Milk Toast

4 slices of toast
4 pats of butter
1 tsp cinnamon and sugar
1/2 cup milk
Heat milk on low.

Butter toast as you usually would and sprinkle each piece with cinnamon and sugar. Tear the toast into bite-sized pieces and place in two cereal bowls.

Pour hot milk over toast pieces.

apparently he eats it every morning while reading the washington post.

Quote:
since you said his manner is hard to copy this must be a serious point and not an attempt to employ his trademark humour. it surprises me that you're not familiar with how entertainment is just a sliver of his life. now, mind you, it is important to him. i mean, he does report for fox news.
Old 04-21-2007, 12:42 AM   #5
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

He actually has not just political and professional credentials but several academic ones as well. He is a smart and accomplished guy. I know this, even if I did not specifically say it.

That does not mean that I have changed my views on this piece. I believe he gave a recipe for a pleasant conversation at work, not a productive one.

In many circles, not having a pleasant conversation will truncate all else, so it will not have the opportunity to be productive if the former is not first...

I clearly do not have his skills, nor share some of his values as to what makes a good conversation...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
citivolus
citivolus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I think it depends on the purpose of the conversation. If it is simply small talk for the purposes of networking, making contacts or social introductions then I think the rules are fine but the emphasis on brevity means that no serious data exchange is going on. I don't know many, in any, people who would bring up politics or religion during a board meeting or any other sort of professional intercourse because it tends to distract attention from the important topics.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by citivolus View Post
I don't know many, in any, people who would bring up politics or religion during a board meeting or any other sort of professional intercourse because it tends to distract attention from the important topics.
Here here! I just hope that those who would bring up [their beliefs in] politics or religion in ther normal everyday conversation would strive for objectivity when they engage in business practices.

That, my friend, is a tall order.

-Sal
Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
nora k

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citivolus View Post
I think it depends on the purpose of the conversation. If it is simply small talk for the purposes of networking, making contacts or social introductions then I think the rules are fine but the emphasis on brevity means that no serious data exchange is going on. I don't know many, in any, people who would bring up politics or religion during a board meeting or any other sort of professional intercourse because it tends to distract attention from the important topics.
i still think serious data exchange could go on while enforcing his rules. the emphasis on brevity could mean spending ten minutes to make ten minutes of points, instead of twenty minutes saying it twice. i have been in my fair share of business meetings that were tense, redundant and bloated to maximum capacity. i wish i had those many hours of my life back!