SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-29-2007, 10:11 PM   #51
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Any ideas on a good cheater weather enclosure? I'm trying to think of what common everyday household product has a 1 inch dome clear cover that I could use.
Byped, have you considered one of those clear capsules you get toys in for a quarter or fifty cents out of those gumball-candy machines? Perhaps you could glue the base to your segway and snap the clear domed lids on over your lights.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:45 AM   #52
Tory
Tory is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Question plastic covers

I'm pretty sure you'll laugh at my dumb question, but what the heck I can't hear you anyway. Why are their orange plastic covers over your batteries? Thanks Tory
Tory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:44 PM   #53
Sharkie
Sharkie will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

That's plastic to cover the insulation on his batteries. It gets pretty cold up here in Canada, and this keeps the batteries warmer and increases the range.

BTW If you're going to bring up an old thread like this, a quote might be helpful. I had to go all the way back to the first page of the thread to find what you were talking about, and Ryan doesn't get on here very often lately.

Jim
Old 07-20-2008, 10:35 PM   #54
WLSINWI
WLSINWI is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Very cool. It looks like you have an arc reactor (from ironman) in your Segway. A lot of work though, I just glued a Sylania Dot-it to the center piece with a wood spacer to get it where it fitted nicely. I just touch it and the three leds light up and its rated for 100 hours.
WLSINWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:40 AM   #55
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe View Post
Now that's my illuminated trim piece:

I bet my post is a bump from the past, but this is what I have in mind as a front light. I wonder how am I going to implement this mod.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:46 AM   #56
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by energetic View Post
I bet my post is a bump from the past, but this is what I have in mind as a front light. I wonder how am I going to implement this mod.
It's not terribly difficult. I haven't done this specific thing, but here's how I'd go about it.

Check the data sheets for the forward voltage for your LEDs -- for a white LED it would be about 4 volts. I'd figure on driving it from a nominal 6V supply -- four AAA cells in series, for example. Lithium batteries will be higher in voltage.

Again, from the data sheet for your LED, find the forward rated operating current. Take 80% of that or so, and design for that current. Let's call that our If To be more precise, you can look at the graph of voltage vs current, but since the voltage from the battery is a peak value, I wouldn't bother, for this application.

If Vs is your supply voltage, and Vf is your forward operating voltage, then you need to reduce the voltage to the LED by Vs-Vf. You do this with a resister in series with each LED.

E=IR, so you want R=E/I, or (Vs-Vf)/If.

So your circuit runs from your battery, to your switch, from the switch to each resister, and each resister to each LED, and then back to the other side of the battery.

If you want to get fancy:

You can improve performance and get longer life out of your batteries by using a circuit called a Joule Thief, which is basically an inductive-feedback inverter. This will let you drive your circuit even when the battery voltage drops very low. Designing this to drive a number of LEDs is a bit more than I want to try to cover, as there are a number of variables to consider -- the LEDs, the battery voltage, etc. but it would let you drive it from 2 AAA or AA cells, if 4 is hard to fit. With a Joule Thief, since it raises the voltage from the battery, I might consider running several LEDs in series, which would simplify the circuit somewhat. You might be able to run 4 LEDs with 4 cells in series.

If you want to get really fancy, you can combine it with a constant-current source at the desired operating point, which will keep your light output constant over the life of the battery.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:38 PM   #57
team222badbrad
team222badbrad is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Here's what I'm working on! Finally got my waterproof LED strips from China in the mail today!

Running the setup off 11.1 volt (3s) Lipo battery.

I still have plenty more LED strips left to add on eventually.

I'm thinking about adding some to the lean steer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo(1).jpg (83.5 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (96.2 KB, 33 views)

team222badbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:33 AM   #58
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Let's see, a stripped tux, a stovepipe hat, and red, white, and blue LED's. You have just over a month to get ready!

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #59
WTH
WTH is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Any news re: re-wiring?
WTH is offline   Reply With Quote