SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
ryan_walters
ryan_walters will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default I2 trim piece LEDs

I know it's been done before, but I thought I'd post how I put LED's in the LSF's bottom trim piece.

I don't have pictures of the batteries, but I simply took 4 AA NiMh that I had lying around here, carefully (quickly) soldered them in series (end to end) with about 1/2" between. Then put them into some heavy duty heatshrink to protect them. With the space between the batteries, they can still curve to the shape of the LSF, and the heatshrink also stops the wires from fatigue. I found they still moved around inside the LSF, so I wrapped some foam around the heatshrink to give them a little more size.

For a switch I double sided foam taped a simple toggle switch also covered in heatshrink near the top of the LSF.

Both the batteries and the switch wires exit at the bottom. Here's a picture of that:

Click for fullsize:

The connector going through the hole to the outside will be for charging, while the other connector will hookup to the LED's. And yes, that is Cat5 pairs I used (current is quite low). The orange pair comes directly off of the battery. The blue pair is the SPST switch.

And here's the LED wiring:

Click for fullsize:

The leds themselves are simply hot-glued in. Each resistor for the leds is soldered onto the 'negative' side of the led; the bare wire in the photo is actually one side of the resistor. The 'positive' sides are connected using red, or yellow (because I ran out of spare red) wire. Then a wire from each 'side' goes to the connector.

Then the trim piece gets set back into the LSF with the connector attached:

Click for fullsize:

The the whole LSF gets mounted back onto the segway. Batteries charged up. And it's now ready to test.

Here's two pictures of the final result: (yes I've insulated my batteries for winter)

Click for fullsize:

Click for fullsize:

I think it'll show up quite well at night, even with the 'headlight' on.

The whole thing draws around 250ma. With my 2300 mah batteries, I should easily get 8 hours.
ryan_walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Cool. Do you have to remove the medallion/frame to recharge the batteries?
Old 12-28-2006, 09:16 PM   #3
ryan_walters

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Cool. Do you have to remove the medallion/frame to recharge the batteries?
No, in the first picture, the connector that comes outside the LSF is for charging. And doesn't run through the switch of course. The other connector plugs into the led assembly, but is switched power.

In the second to last picture, if you view the fullsize version, you can just see the red connector at the bottom.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:32 PM   #4
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Ah sorry, I've re-read the original post and it is now clear. An excellent modification. Your white Segway is definitely looking better and better (apart from the insulation!). Very cool. Right from the start I thought the medallion was a light and was a little disappointed that it wasn't. Good stuff.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:52 PM   #5
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Your white Segway is definitely looking better and better (apart from the insulation!).
I think it's going to be looking very good when all the mud and muck spashed up on the insulation gets peeled off easily by removing the insulation, instead of the more difficult prospect of cleaning the underside the usual way!

Last edited by bystander; 12-28-2006 at 10:06 PM..
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 09:37 AM   #6
ryan_walters

5 yr Member
Default I2 have tail lights!

I put some bright red LED's to good use.

I installed them on the back of the segway. No need to buy segway's tail light now, especially as I think mine are brighter.. There's 4 leds on each side, in a 2x2 configuration. All 8 tail light leds only added 100ma current because the red leds need less forward voltage (than the white), I am able to run 2 in series with each other. That means I'm only drawing the current of 4 leds.

Here's a picture..

Click for fullsize:

I think it'll keep my visibility up at least..

Now I'm thinking of adding light on the bottom, for a 'hover' type look. Don't know what color though. More red? Maybe blue?