SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-10-2018, 08:04 AM   #1
truck
truck is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Infokey

I can't get the turtle mode to work on the infokey I'm using, my spare infokey does turn the turtle on and off.
Even though I read the instructions on how to activate the turtle I'm not able to do it. Hold both buttons for more than 10 seconds and nothing happens.
Any ideas?
truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:26 AM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Beginner Button Functions The following functions can be performed using the Beginner button.
Enabling and Disabling the Beginner Setting 1. To disable the Beginner Setting, confirm that the Beginner icon (turtle) is displayed, then tap the Beginner button. The Beginner icon will no longer show in the Display. 2. To enable the Beginner Setting, confirm that the Beginner icon is not displayed, then tap the Beginner button. The Beginner icon will show in the Display.
See "Unlocking and Locking the Beginner Setting" (p. 48) for more information.
The PT will only accept these commands when no Rider Detect Sensors are depressed (when there is no weight on the Mats).
Illuminating the Backlight 1. Press and hold the Beginner button to illuminate the Backlight. 2. Release the Beginner button to turn off the Backlight.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

InfoKey Controller (cont.) Button Combination Functions The following functions require you to simultaneously push a combination of InfoKey Controller buttons.
Unlocking and Locking the Beginner Setting For your first ride, the PT is set to operate exclusively with the Beginner Setting enabled. If the Beginner icon (turtle) does not display, do NOT ride the PT until you enable the Beginner Setting. The PT ships from the factory with the Beginner Setting locked, to encourage new riders to learn using the Beginner Setting. To unlock the Beginner Setting: 1. Power on the PT. 2. Press and hold the Beginner Button and the Information Display Button simultaneously for more than 10 seconds. The Information Display button will flash. 3. Make sure the PT has not entered Balance Mode. 4. Confirm that the Beginner icon (turtle) toggles when the Beginner button is tapped.
Once the Beginner Setting is unlocked, you can toggle the Beginner Setting on or off by tapping the Beginner button.
To lock the Beginner Setting: 1. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 above. 2. Confirm that the Beginner icon (turtle) is showing on the InfoKey Display. 3. Test the lock by tapping the Beginner button and confirming that the Beginner icon remains showing in the InfoKey Display.
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:24 AM   #3
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Newish InfoKey or one that's been used a good bit?

I had similar problems on a used I2 that I bought even though the Seg only had a total of 79 miles on it - The previous owner used it primarily to ride down his driveway, get the mail and ride back. He had probably done that a thousand times in those 79 miles

Anyway, there are springs behind the buttons which cause them to pop back out when you push the button in and when the springs get weak, the buttons don't work right. I sent my InfoKey off to be rebuilt (pretty sure all they do is replace those springs) and it works fine now

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #4
dorrington
dorrington is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi,

It could be the infokey pcb, where the metal springs(not the button return ones) make contact with the pcb they can wear through the plating...I re-soldered (tinned) mine and it works so far...

the tiny screws are a nightmare to take out though..
dorrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:38 PM   #5
truck
truck is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I just tried turning on the beginner mode again and it didn't work. I also tried the back light by holding down the beginner button, no back light.

The InfoKeys came with the i2 which I bought used and I believe it is a 2007 or 2008 model, it how has 452 miles on it. Since the back light won't come on I have to think the button is bad. Maybe I should use the other InfoKey and save this one for a spare. I carry the spare one around with the battery installed upside down so it doesn't drain and also carry a quarter ($0.25 piece) to remove the back to install the battery properly.
truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #6
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Consider replacing the battery. You have probably already done that once, but try it again - with a new battery of a different brand purchased from a different source. It's worth a try.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #7
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
Consider replacing the battery. You have probably already done that once, but try it again - with a new battery of a different brand purchased from a different source. It's worth a try.
I agree that some off brand batteries aren't worth buying - I only buy Sony branded ones, usually for just a few $$$ in packs of 5 on eBay. I change them out every year or 18 months before they fail

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote