SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > New Member Introductions

Notices

New Member Introductions Welcome to our community! Come in and introduce yourself to other members!

Old 09-09-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
Otter
Otter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Hello from Albany NY

Hi - I'm a new member in Albany, NY. I'm walking about a mile and a half to work 1-2 times a day, so I'm considering getting a segway for the commute. Of course, I know my wife will need one eventually as well, but I think I'll start with one for now. We've done a couple of tours in the past and always have a great deal of fun while out gliding.

Rich
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:28 AM   #2
mark1qhorsey
mark1qhorsey is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Wink Great choice!

It should be a good way to go for that distance, if you are not using mass transit or jumping into a car for lots of daily errands. The PT - cargo can carry a fair amount of groceries and other stuff too. You need to consider your tolerance of the weather for commuting... Segways can go in most anything, except ice storms, and much more stably than a bike. There are winter tires available too! Good gliding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Hi - I'm a new member in Albany, NY. I'm walking about a mile and a half to work 1-2 times a day, so I'm considering getting a segway for the commute. Of course, I know my wife will need one eventually as well, but I think I'll start with one for now. We've done a couple of tours in the past and always have a great deal of fun while out gliding.

Rich
mark1qhorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
krauzac
krauzac is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Smile Hey Otter

I just joined last week, and am in Utica.
After gliding on a Seg in Bermuda, we were hooked.
At least you have a nearby dealer, in Poughkeepsie (Hudson Segway or something)
I've been looking here and ebay for deal, and beginning to think now's the time for bargains, as winter approaches for us, but where would we ride them until Spring comes?
Good luck shopping !
Caz
Old 09-11-2008, 12:46 AM   #4
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauzac View Post
I've been looking here and ebay for deal, and beginning to think now's the time for bargains, as winter approaches for us, but where would we ride them until Spring comes?
Caz
Get a SegPlow, and ride them in your driveway and sidewalks...

(I've never ridden in more than a very, very faint drizzle, since that's all the precipitation we've had here, but I used to live in places with winter, and this seems like a lot more fun than a shovel! Or even a snow blower).

Seriously, though, how practical are Segways in the snow? Not "can you do it", but "can you do the commute"? I've ridden bicycles in the snow... My interest is abstract, since it's been almost 10 years since I've seen snow here, even a few flakes for a few minutes.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 02:39 PM   #5
Otter
Otter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I just received my used segway that I bought on Ebay...it's awesome! Red i-180, about 2 years old with Li-Ion batteries. Everything on it seems great so far, just the expected wear and tear (a few scrapes and nicks). It even showed up after three days in transit with what seems to be a full charge.

First trip around downtown went smooth. A bicycle cop even came over and asked me what the laws were on Segways (NY Gov. Paterson just passed the law allowing them on sidewalks and streets with minimal restrictions).

I figure my wife will be talking me into a second one very soon.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #6
mark1qhorsey
mark1qhorsey is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Exclamation One for Wife?

Let her ride yours first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I figure my wife will be talking me into a second one very soon.
mark1qhorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
notrip
notrip is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krauzac View Post
I just joined last week, and am in Utica.
After gliding on a Seg in Bermuda, we were hooked.
At least you have a nearby dealer, in Poughkeepsie (Hudson Segway or something)
Good luck shopping !
Caz
I live in Syracuse and am looking for a Segway dealer that provides service after the sale. Is there a dealer you'd recommend? Thanks.
notrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:18 AM   #8
krauzac
krauzac is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Dealers

I haven't dealt with any dealers, as I bought mine used.Try searching the forum on dealer feedback
Here are the NY dealers w/service. Segway's Inc website has dealer finder with google maps for a better idea where they are.

Segway of New York
4030 Sunrise Highway
Oakdale NY 11769
Phone: 631-244-7447

Northeast Marine Segway
20 Marine Drive
Coeymans NY 12045
Phone: 518-756-6111

Segway of the Hudson Valley
35 Main St. Suite 322
Poughkeepsie NY 12601
Phone: 845-485-7349

Segway of Western New York
2800 Kenmore Ave.
Tonawanda NY 14150
Phone: 716-876-0600
Old 05-22-2009, 01:21 AM   #9
Sal
Enjoys a well balanced glide
Sal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond reputeSal has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Hello Up State NYers!

I am a former resident of Albany, NY (now in Indianapolis, IN)... Just a shout out to the best place to live (IMHO) in the USA! I loved it there, and I believe I was the first Segway owner in Albany, NY. Well, that was back around the 2003/2004 timeframe.

It's a wonderful place to glide!

Enjoy the season as well as Gov. Patterson's laws allowing you officially to glide!

I'm considering taking my Segway to NYC this weekend while I visit my parents, but don't know if that's such a good thing knowing it's not "legal" in NYC.

Cheers,
Sal