SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
MattinPittsburgh
MattinPittsburgh is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Help starting a program.

Hello all, My name is Matt, I live in Pittsburgh and for 12 years I've volunteered with a local therapeutic horseback riding program for handicapped kids. Recently I saw an ad for segs4vets and it got my mind turning.

I would like to start a program similar to the riding for the handicapped program with the eventual goal of getting the participants their own segways (like segs4vets)

Since this program could share the facilities, physical therapists, volunteers, and directors of the riding program all that would initially be needed is a few segways.

While the therapeutic riding program is open to kids between 5-18 the segway program will have to be more restricted for safety. My brother runs the independent rider class and a screening program will be developed based on that model.

The capabilities of that machine are amazing. Kids are supposed to run around and play and with this machine they can go so many places that even a good wheelchair can't.

Some of my questions for you guys are?

Is anyone running a program like this that I can talk to?

What kind of size restrictions does the machine have?

Are there any grants available?

Does the segway company offer a discount for such a situation?

Although it's classified as a wheelchair, have any of you had difficulty from the insurance company in getting them for mobility use?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions and if you guys have any for me fire away. I might not have all the answers as right now I'm trying to establish what the end result of the program will be and there's many questions un-answered at the moment.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. Hopefully the end result of all this will be happy, smiling kids.

~Matt
MattinPittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote