SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 11-13-2002, 03:45 PM   #1
J10
J10

5 yr Member
Default Basic Stamp Kit

Howdy again all-

If there is anyone out there who has spent any time with these, I'm curious to know about some of the things you've done with them, I'm looking for ideas to utilize one I've just acquired.

Here is a link for those who are curious about them, www.parallax.com

It's basically a robotics controller chip that you program to do a wide variety of tasks, the limits being your imagination, the number of instructions the chip can hold and the physical interfaces available to you. For instance here are some apps:

Aerospace rocketry control:
http://www.parallaxinc.com/html_file...paerospace.htm

Submarine: http://www.parallaxinc.com/html_file...s/apps_AUV.htm

Dance of the water spiders:
http://www.parallaxinc.com/html_file...terspiders.htm

Firefighting robot:
http://www.parallaxinc.com/html_file...ightingbot.htm

Ya that's right, I'm back.
Old 11-13-2002, 03:53 PM   #2
ftropea
ftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond reputeftropea has a reputation beyond repute

5 yr Member

J10,

Welcome to the forum!

First of all, damn you for tempting me with another hobby which I have no time for!

By the way, although I don't have much to add to this thread.. I wanted to ask: Is the parallax chip like a bare bones version of the Lego Mindstorm controller unit?

Regards,

Frank A. Tropea
Old 11-13-2002, 05:46 PM   #3
J10
J10

5 yr Member

I don't know much about the Mindstorms kit so I can't compare the two, but this is an EEPROM that retains and executes the code you program it with, via serial cable. The language you use is pretty much a modified form of BASIC, but there is a language interpretor available that can be programmed in java. I know more about BASIC from my college days so I went that way. I'm still trying to understand all of the things you can do with it, but it seems mostly you are just limited by imagination, it should be able to interface with and control off the shelf stepper motors, sensors and such, rather than just the modules that Lego markets for Mindstorms. For instance one thing I can think of is an infrared sensor, laser beam or motion sensor that can turn on/off an electric fence when it senses only large livestock moving close by, saving electricity when nothing is around. That's just an idea I made up for this post, the real possibilities are much larger. Basically you can sense anything that modern sensors will allow while reacting physically to that sense with stepper motors and the like, and how it does that is totally up to the programming that you save to the EEPROM chip which is pretty much the exact same thing as the BIOS chip on your motherboard.

Ya that's right, I'm back.