SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:31 AM   #11
Earmic
Earmic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I too am concerned about long term winter "storage" here in Maine. I take mine to work at least once a winter and drive it around the plant for a week. Other times I am restricted to using it in the basement of our house (where it is kept in winter). Its a finished basement and 60-65F. Not a lot of use...I have (until reading this) kept it pretty much plugged in at all times, and then occasionally unplugging it for several days, rinse and repeat. I'm going to use one of my appliance timers with a 24hr setting and set it for once a day for an 1hr. on. What are your thoughts on this? I have had no trouble with my 2015 i2 so far.
Earmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #12
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

If you're going to have the timer switch it on every day, I would use the shortest 'ON' time that you can - 10 or 15 minutes

A one hour charge time would fill the batteries if you had left it unplugged for a month, so that's way more than you would need to use everyday

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #13
Earmic
Earmic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

So here's what I can do...I can plug one timer into the other, in series if you will, and set each for 1 hr in 24, so the second timer will come on for 1 hr every 24 days.
Earmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #14
Don M

5 yr Member

I like that idea!

I may give it a try it myself - Thanks!

Edit: - I just bought a 7 day, digital timer on eBay for $10.59 with free shipping. I'll set that for 30 minutes, once per week instead. It has 2 outlets, so it can do both my Segs at the same time

Don

Last edited by Don M; 02-16-2018 at 04:59 PM..
Old 02-17-2018, 12:38 AM   #15
dmurphy
dmurphy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earmic View Post
I too am concerned about long term winter "storage" here in Maine. I take mine to work at least once a winter and drive it around the plant for a week. Other times I am restricted to using it in the basement of our house (where it is kept in winter). Its a finished basement and 60-65F. Not a lot of use...I have (until reading this) kept it pretty much plugged in at all times, and then occasionally unplugging it for several days, rinse and repeat. I'm going to use one of my appliance timers with a 24hr setting and set it for once a day for an 1hr. on. What are your thoughts on this? I have had no trouble with my 2015 i2 so far.
I think that’ll be fine. 1 hr a day should be more than plenty to keep the batts topped off. The key appears to be to “power cycle” the charger periodically since it’s prone to locking up. I’m jealous; wish I had a finished walkout basement - we have a full finished basement but the only way down is via a dozen carpeted steps; can’t store the Segway down there. So I’ve been keeping mine in the garage, with the batts stored in the home (in the spare bedroom, for now.)

Yesterday it was about 65 degrees here, so I decided to take my lunch and head over to a Starbucks for some coffee. It’s about 2 1/2 miles from here. Reattached the batts and headed out - just a hair over 5 miles round trip.

Got home to some Facebook posts from my neighbors with some gentle ribbing ... as I expected. They saw me go by.

Went 5 miles and dropped 2 ticks on the Infokey. Quite happy with that performance on a used unit - seems plenty functional to me.

Came home, plugged in, charged right back up to full/trickle charge. Now I’ll detach the batteries again and bring them back inside. It’s going to snow tomorrow, so I’m likely not going back out for a little while.
dmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:13 AM   #16
truck
truck is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

How about connecting the charger to a light switch that you use occasionally? Laundry room, celler stairway, garage to name a few. No need for a timer then.
truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #17
Hardenburgward1@aol.
Hardenburgward1@aol. is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default is plugged in but off OK?

Does segway have something in the charging circuit (diodes or something) that prevents any problem from leaving the charging cord plugged into the segway when it is effectively unplugged from the electric outlet by a timer, wall switch, etc.?
Hardenburgward1@aol. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:08 PM   #18
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardenburgward1@aol. View Post
Does segway have something in the charging circuit (diodes or something) that prevents any problem from leaving the charging cord plugged into the segway when it is effectively unplugged from the electric outlet by a timer, wall switch, etc.?
Yes it does.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:12 PM   #19
Don M

5 yr Member

Leaving it plugged into a 'dead' outlet is the same as not having it plugged in at all, so far as the Seg's charging circuitry is concerned. No problem doing that

It should be noted that Seg batteries are regulated to only about 75 or 80% of a theoretical 'full charge' even when left plugged in 24/7, which is why they last so long. Lithium composition cells don't like being held at a 100% (or anything close to that) indefinitely

If you could charge Seg batteries to 100%, you might have a range of 30 miles or more. The actual 'capacity' is there - It's just regulated down to a lower level to make sure the batteries will last a long time

Now, if they had just seen fit (and I have no idea why they didn't) to include a true 'OFF' switch, so the InfoKey communication system wasn't drawing a small amount of power 24/7 from the rear battery, you could leave the machine unplugged for 8 months or a year at a time with no ill effect. Had they done that, it would have probably saved thousands of ruined batteries over the past 15 years. How often do you hear about a machine which has sat unused for a few years come up for sale with "needs one new battery" in the description? All too often, it's true

Don
Old 02-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #20
russ498
russ498 is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

I use my 2017 I2 as a mobility device. I load it on my car five or six days per week. I ride it for just a minute or two during the loading process. I actually use it for more extensive rides between three and five days per week. I have used it in temperatures down to 20°F. The batteries show only a half charge, but it rides fine. I leave my Segway in an unheated garage. I leave it plugged in 24/7. Do I need to do anything different since it is in use almost daily?
russ498 is offline   Reply With Quote