SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 03-08-2004, 11:50 AM   #1
Entil-Zha
Entil-Zha

5 yr Member
Default Access to Irish Festival

Dallas is home to the largest Irish Festival in the southwest. They just wrapped it up this last weekend. I had never been before, because it is located at the fairgrounds and I didn't want to suffer all the walking around on crutches. I took my family, grabbed the Segway, and left the crutches in the car.

The only resistance I met was on first entry and understandable. Two security guards stepped forward and informed me that my Segway was not allowed. I asked, "Do you allow wheelchairs?" They responded, "Yes." I pointed to my handicapped decal located on the shaft of my Segway and told them that the Segway was my designated "Disability Assistive Device." Before the security guards could respond, a Dallas Police officer stepped forward and said,"He can go in." From that point on, there was no resistance.

I enjoyed my time at the festival and was only stopped because of curiosity. Everyone I met thought the Segway was cool. A festival photographer asked to take my picture next to the Green Mountain Energy booth. I agreed and thought it ironic, since the only produce energy through wind and hydro power. It was a nice day thanks to the Segway!

Doug Exum
Entil-Zha is offline   Reply With Quote