SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 04-01-2003, 03:00 AM   #41
Private Pile
Private Pile

5 yr Member

I'm not sure I'm down with "unintuitive" and "dangerous." Most people I've seen on the Segway are whizzing around in less than 30 seconds. Compare that to riding a bike, motorcycle or driving a car.

Also, Segway should be renting these to Hollywood productions ASAP. First of all, studios pay exorbitant prices for everything once a movie is "going." Secondly, the sets involve lots of walking back and forth from trailers to the "location" which can be a good 1/4 mile away. Third, not just productions, but studio lots are like large college campuses and most producers drive around in motorized golf carts. I'm telling you, if Segway is not all over marketing this to Hollywood, they need to start.
Private Pile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 11:11 AM   #42
lipinsky
Account Suspended
lipinsky is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Some folks at Segway have told me that there are actually "several" movies in production in which Segways are featured.
lipinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 12:14 PM   #43
JGartmann
JGartmann

5 yr Member

I would be very concerned about renting this high tech equipment that requires hours and even days of training. Watching a video followed by 20 minutes of on unit training does not properly equip the renter for the real world. Falling off a curb, or turning in the wrong direction and then falling off a curb or into traffic are very real possibilities. Let's face it. These units are dangerous and require lots of skill. Perhaps renting them in an enclosed space would work, but sending a novice out into the real world is an invitation for disaster.
JGartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 12:35 PM   #44
zeppo123
zeppo123

5 yr Member

I see people here at the beach renting scooters every day to people who have never driven a motorcycle and require no training or helmets. I can't imagine Segways would be even close to being as dangerous as these. Then again spring breakers seem to have trouble standing on a balcony without falling off sometimes.
zeppo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 12:00 AM   #45
pkpaul
pkpaul

5 yr Member

Spring Break?

OK Let's see how long it takes until the first GWI or GUI arrest.

For that matter, the first GWI or GUI conviction.

I will predict in a matter of months, lets say 3 months for an arrest (by 1 July).

Any other predictions?

PKPaul

www.GlideSegway.com

pkpaul
pkpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2003, 02:42 PM   #46
PamSi
PamSi

5 yr Member

My family owns and operates 2 stores in West Yellowstone Montana - the busiest gate in and out of Yellowstone Park. A six block by six block tourist town with 3 million visitors a year.
A few years ago, I rented a recumbent bicycle.This is the kind where you lean back and put your feet up on the pedals. Takes some practice to get it right. I enjoyed it so much that I asked if the shop would sell it to me. Of course, at 1/2 the price of a new one. Turns out, that's where he makes a lot of money. He rents them for 1-3 months, and then often sells them at "1/2 price" (meaning the price HE paid - wholesale is usually 1/2 the retail price for an item like that). So then he has the cash to buy a new one for the next season.
Most people will not purchase such an expensive item unless they have had some experience. Now that a kids version is coming out, there will be a wonderful market if rental shops also sell them. Ten to fifteen year olds will realize right away that gliding to school, to visit friends, to the mall is WAY cooler way than riding a bike. And they often have heavy back packs - they can let the Segway carry the bag. Many stories have been written about this age group propelling sales of many items - and their parents willing to buy almost anything they want!
I say, let them lead the way.
PamSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2003, 05:18 AM   #47
SteveClapman
SteveClapman

5 yr Member

On a commercial level, Keolis in France are renting the HT's
However, I don't know what stage of development they are at
http://www.segway.com/aboutus/press_...pr_011603.html

Steve Clapman
[email protected]
SteveClapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 11:26 PM   #48
pkpaul
pkpaul

5 yr Member

Training/Observations Notes:
I trained 7 new people yesterday and today (30 April and 1 May 2003) both inside and outside. Here's what I observed.

Wobble:
They all had the "newbie wobble" even though I explained the body's natural tendency to "fight" the Segways ability to balance. Though having heard it explained I believe that it helped in not letting the Segway get-away from them or falling.

Lean:
Then they had to learn to lean on the turns and hills, even though I taught them to so, still had to learn by doing. Again, having heard it explained I believe that it helped in not tipping the Segway or wiping-out.

Crash:
I had two of them attempt a hill and a speed bump from a level grad at full speed. This in dangerous and counter intuitive. I did not not try this because I read the manual or was to reserved and assumed others would be as conservative. But being younger, more aggressive types, they tried it and the Segway reacted then over-reacted causing some near crashes. I observed one try to speed up in order to take the hill. That is a normal course of momentum and physical dynamics, but unsafe. Its is better and safer to slow down to approach a hill or a bump.
Also had 2 minor incidents of wall-climb, one inside and one outside by the newbies.

Addictive:
The biggest surprise to me and the newbies was how absolutely addictive the Segway is. I can envision the Segway "pusher" offering free training/ride for a few minutes, then charging $10.00 for a five minute ride after the user comes back begging for more. You still have all the legal/liability issues to worry about though.

Show off:
The people who thought that they would look silly on a Segway in public, would get addicted then go out and actually show off. And the cars would slow down or stop (the real danger). Pedestrians and drivers all said the same thing, "There's one of those things!"

Conclusion:
It's easy to learn but hard to master.

Rentals:
No revenue rentals yet, just inquires.
Is anyone having success at rentals?

PKPaul
www.GlideSegway.com

pkpaul
pkpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 01:12 AM   #49
mzokc
mzokc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have had the best results by having the new rider:

1. Hold on to the handle bar with both hands first.
2. Place one foot on the platform in the correct position.
3. Look up and just step up on it like a step stool.

Bucking has been greatly reduced or eliminated! A little bucking may occur when they start moving forward or back, but the above technique has been magical.

Mark
mzokc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 06:45 PM   #50
PamSi
PamSi

5 yr Member

Has anyone looked into jet skies?
They are rented out, including to teenagers.
Surely they are a LOT more dangerous than the SEGway.
How much training does the rental company give a newbie?
How much does it cost to rent one?
Do renters have to sign a "I won't sue you if I get injured" kind of legal document?
Just curious - of course, I could Google it myself....
;&gt
PamSi is offline   Reply With Quote