SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Tours and Rentals

Notices

Tours and Rentals Issues, experiences & opinions relating to Segway rentals and tours.

Old 03-27-2003, 07:17 AM   #31
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member

The reason SegCenter lists "suggested terms" for rental that begin at one week instead of by the hour is because we (o.k, "I", but "we" sounds better ) recognize the need to include proper orientation.

. . . . SegCenter . . . .
StirlingInfo StirlingChat
GyroGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 12:50 PM   #32
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Gyrogo.com, Here are some of my interesting ideas pertaining to segway rentals and or dealerships that I had discussed from that other site. You may remember some of them.....

Quote:
quote:
You could set up areas in Mall locations like they do at Christmas time for those cute electric riding cars/bikes/trikes for kids and charge 5 or 10 bucks per, say two or three laps around your area. All provided with small hills, turns and straight-aways. Get 10 or 20 of them and you could be making $50 to $100 or more for whatever time it takes to complete those laps. Probably every 5 minutes. For peak times that would equal $600 to $1,200 an hour. Now that would be some serious bucks. Even if the novelty of it wore off after a while you probably would be seriously wealthy by then, or you could move to another Mall or location. Lord knows you'll have the money to. Course you would have to have all them set on low speed and maybe a higher speed for proven riders with signed waivers of liability. And for those that liked them they could also purchase new ones right there on the spot.
Quote:
quote:
Why in the malls? You could always be outside the mall. Or even have a mobile unit (trailor) with a taped off location or course in any parking lot, anywhere you want to go. Then you'd be "Rollin down the Road" Ha, sorry about that Rollin, couldn't resist.

There can be numerous places you could park and get permission based on commission. Anybody in their right mind couldn't resist the opportunity to cash in on the profit potential of a Segway rink. Not when they can see what they can generate based on Disney's venture. How'd they get it started and do they make you sign a waiver or what, when you decide to rent one? Would a basic disclaimer, you will not hold (us) liable serve as a basic coverage? Any idea what Disney does about this?
Or how about at Airports for the two and fro stops say between the terminal to parking and back, or terminal and nearby Hotels and back. Pay per use, faster than shuttle dont ya think?

Here are some ideas about Dealerships which could also be rental facilities.

I've often thought about having a SHT dealership myself. I've wondered what would actually attract SHT customers. Would it be convience, lower costs, accessories, atmosphere, parking for SHT's or services. I think all these things would be necessary for any dealership of Segway's.

Having it centralized, say at a downtown location also would give customers a place close by to park and ride. Having them parked in mini towers on a turnbuckle sort of thing.

I envision the dealership as being something similar to a Harley dealership perhaps. I think it would also be cool if it had a coffee shop, like Starbucks or a doughnut or subshop inside. You know, to get people to feel comfortable while browsing for accessories. There could also be a training area too. Or also a demo area for newbies.

Anywhere there is going to be a lot of people needing to get somewhere within a business district. Having Segway related businesses, service or delivery businesses. Don't forget about rental units, either...

What would you invision in a Segway dealership?

Now mind you, that you would have to include costs for the time spent for proper training, waivors of liability or purchase of insurance, over head costs, etc. Mobile units also could possibly work. Now for resort areas, longer day terms of rentals would probably be better. Now if, and when potential customers can give certificate proof of previous training or your company training they would be able to rent one faster and possibly at lower day rates. Disney cruise ships charge $49 an hour, don't forget.

You know I have been thinking about rental, distributor, and service facilities for about a year, just as you, from looking back at some of your posts at that other site. I live in Indianapolis and you in Chicago. Were you considering a rental location in Chicago, say at the Navy Pier or on Lake Shore Drive? Boardwalk?

"Wouldn't it be cool, if?...is like Folgers in my cup"
GadgetmanKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 03:02 PM   #33
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

The Vespa dealership near me has an espresso bar.

They are full of very cool accessories, fashion, books, helmets, clothing, keychains doo-dads..

Their jaws dropped when I Segged up :-)

I picture a cross between that and the Apple Store.

Dealership with a ramp course with small ramps in the front window. Ramps, bumps, water, gravel, just like the LLC training.

Some back-of house training as well, so people aren't in the front window looking nervous. Once they've practiced level one, they go on the course that takes them to the front window and back, around the ramp course.

Then another room for learning about care and maintenance.

The Segway Style line of active clothing. Jackets, hats, helmets, riding gloves. T-shirts, denim shirts.

Bags and accessories. Lighting packages, cargo sets. Optional colored and designed wheels and fenders.

Locking solutions and an in-house insurance agent, for situations that arise from those who aren't as enlightened as the Segway crowd

Boba-bar for the icy beverage that doesn't spill when carried on a Segway!

All white interior, to demonstrate the non-marring tires. Modern couches and rounded shapes, like a Mini dealership. Videos running on plasma screens (filmed in Celebration) that protray the neighborly life that a Segway allows.

Wide open walking areas, not cluttered with product, so the staff can Segway around. The store greeter and staff should be able to Segway easily to any point in the store. The street in front should have curb-cuts, and there should be a park nearby, and perhaps a strolling shopping street. It should be in a physically active community of upscale urbanites. I'm thinking Santa Monica's 3rd Street.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 03:06 PM   #34
BruceWright
Advanced Member
BruceWright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Oh, here's my added thought.

If it's in a high-traffic area like 3rd street, do this:

Charge $10 for a lesson and a couple of laps on a Segway, around the ramp course. That way, EVERYONE gets to ride it, not just the folks who look like they might seriously buy one.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream
BruceWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 04:05 PM   #35
GadgetmanKen
GadgetmanKen will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Oh and don't forget this one...

Quote:
quote:
Here in Indianapolis there was a warehouse type grocery chain called Cub Foods that decided it wasn't profitable anymore and moved out of central Indiana. Every location was within a block or two from an interstate highway with huge 100,000 square feet or so of space, now empty. Every building is probably less than 15 years old, and are separate from near by buildings and look alike too. Some are even at mall locations in their own out buildings.

Any one of these buildings would be a great location for a Segrink as you describe them. They could be leased for a year, possibly six months for a nominal price. Put a little scenery in there and different terrain and paths and it could be more entertaining too.
These locations have huge parking lots. so when the weather is nice you could section off part of the parking lot for outdoor glides. I also might add the interstate is the 465 inter-loop around the city. Total round trip is 55 miles. With mid crossing through downtown via I-70 E. & W. and I-65 N. & S. With these cities St.Louis, Dayton,(via I-70) Chicago, Louisville & Nashville, (via I-65) Cinncinnati,(via I-74 off of I-465) all with-in 2-4 hours drive of Indianapolis.

Oh, and don't forget to include a vanity wall of mirrors, so everyone can see how cool they look on a HT as they glide by. Maybe even sell or offer snapshots like roller coaster rides do.

"Wouldn't it be cool, if?...is like Folgers in my cup"
GadgetmanKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2003, 04:08 PM   #36
glideidaho
glideidaho

5 yr Member

I have thought about renting mine out, but don't forget about liability insurance, cost of repairs caused by riders treating your machine like a rental car, or the damage riders could do to community relationships. I live in a small town of 2000 in Idaho, I certainly don't want my city council to outlaw them because somebody was out for a joyride and didn't worry about long term affects of cruising fast on the sidewalks or something. I would guess insurance would be about $3-$5000 a year if you can find it for this type of commercial operation. You can't rely on a waiver these days. I love this site!
glideidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 09:52 AM   #37
lipinsky
Account Suspended
lipinsky is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Okay, let's talk about business 101. There are MANY costs in a business rather than just the cost of the Segway. That cost would be written off in five years not one. Some posts appear to assume 100% rental -- that wont happen. You need to start with about 20% at best (I would guess).

Insurance is much more than for the individual and there are more perils to insure against. Marketing (how will people know what you are doing). Salaries (or are you all doing this in the goodness of your heart?) and benefits. How about "office" space (do you have any idea what city space goes for!) Don't forget business and corporate taxes. You can not conduct a business whose premise is illegal (you could not rent these in New York as at this time there is no legal public area in which to ride them).

Collateral someone said. You don't put up $25,000 when you rent a car -- you could not ask for $5,000 to a renter or no one will rent.

I challenge that the suggested rates that SegCenter shows will fail. They will never get anyone to pay those rates. They are just not reasonable. I am sure these are a wish and have not been market tested.

I have put many business cases (and businesses) together and would be happy to help. A business plan is needed if you are serious and financing could be through a VC (I can help there too).

If you folks are serious contact me and I would be happy to start a conversation. I personally don't have time to do the leg work here (putting another company together right now as well as the next version of the internet). But I can tell you what needs to be done and help guide you.
lipinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 04:44 PM   #38
GyroGo
GyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to allGyroGo is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lipinsky
I challenge that the suggested rates that SegCenter shows will fail.
SegCenter Suggested Rates Intended to Benefit Marketplace

Once again, the rates on SegCenter are just suggestions, and the parties may do as they wish. Each Segway rental provider may make their own economic assumptions of costs, usage, risks, and what the market will bear their locale. Perhaps the suggested rates are creating more confusion than clarity, but the intent of the published suggested rates is to provide some thoughtful (educated guess) guidelines as to what parties may expect to charge and pay. From early threads about rental, it seemed assumptions were all over the map, and the marketplace might be hindered by doubt and inconsistency.

I do not intend to enter a lengthy debate defending my analysis in determining the suggested rates. I will, however, say a few things about my assumptions. Most importantly, I am listening to all your comments, but I am most interested in input from those who are actually providing rental units. My subjectivity can not be avoided.

Assumptions are based on current conditions, including the novelty of the product, limited rental supply, and widespread curiosity. There are risks and the need for user orientation. There is time involved in marketing and possibly delivery, as well as associated costs. There is the need for paperwork, and a contract would be smart. I would think that most renters at this point would not be individuals, but for use in special events or for purchase evaluation.

Of course consumers want greater convenience and lower prices, but hourly rentals do not appear to be a realistic expectation at this time. In time, the rates would be expected to drop in all categories.

Now, if one were to set up some sort of rink or obstacle course on a location with supervision by the provider, I guess we may be talking semantics, but I would probably call that a paid “demo” at this time (at least not a full freedom rental). Since we have not seen that yet, I have not proffered rates in that circumstance but would think $50-$75 per hour might be in line.

I do NOT presume to know all the answers, or to set actual rates, but am just thinking some guidelines would help this nascent market. Naturally, in time, the market will find its own pricing levels.

. . . . SegCenter . . . .
StirlingInfo StirlingChat
GyroGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 04:56 PM   #39
lipinsky
Account Suspended
lipinsky is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

I am using my Segway as an "auction item" at the local ambulance fund raising auction (where I volunteer as an EMT)later this year. Before the auction I will be offering Segway "rides/training" (actual wording TBD) for $10 for 15 minutes. For the auction I will be offering 30 minutes of training and then six hours of use for a starting recommended bid/value of $200.00. Please remember that this is also for charity so actual paid prices are skewed (in 2000 an authentic NYFD tee-shirt went for $700.00).
lipinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2003, 02:44 AM   #40
pkpaul
pkpaul

5 yr Member

Interesting Tread.
I was going to be offering hourly and daily rentals (and that was my goal) until I went though the training. I was surprised at how unintuitive and dangerous it was to operate.
So, at first there will be a learning curve until it becomes "common knowledge" like driving an automobile or getting on an escalator. The first step in leaning to drive an auto is simply sitting in the driver's seat and maybe turning the ignition key (no harm if you mess-up). In the Segway case, if don't have any experience or training, your can definitely be injured because you instincts to balance naturally fight what the Segway is already doing for you. Yet this is no worse than boarding, riding, and exiting an escalator for the first time. While I can remember my first experience and how fearful (and unbalanced I was), I know that today that riding an escalator is common knowledge, even for the little ones (then again they can operate a VCR or DVD or TiVo at 2 years old). Thus, we can only offer Weekly and monthly rentals until such time that Segway operation has common knowledge.
pkpaul

pkpaul
pkpaul is offline   Reply With Quote