SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #11
Eric Payne

Well, now with Crash's generous offer, we have two Segs to shoot for.

A dealer has offered an i2, with the following provisions:

He has offered to sell us this new i2 for $4250.00. Four thousand, two hundred and fifty dollars.

Either myself and/or the person of this dealer's choice verify Jeremy's claims. As the dealer said, that dealer quoting Ronald Reagan: "Trust, but verify."

Jeremy, you must contribute at least 10% of the money which, for the purchase price of the Segway would be $425.00. Four hundred and twenty-five dollars, and pay for the shipping, which would bring your total to $500, or Five hundred dollars.

All monies must be collected in 90 days. As the dealer said: if it ain't gonna happen in 90 days, it ain't gonna happen.

And one last thing...

The dealer is donating $500 toward the purchase of this Segway. Five hundred dollars, as well.

So, shall I set up a PayPal account for donations?

Jeremy, if this is a go, and donations are made through PayPal, if you've got other people, etc. who wish to make donations, they'll be able to.

Last edited by Outside2; 02-10-2008 at 08:59 PM..
Old 02-10-2008, 09:09 PM   #12
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Lightbulb Anti UP

The dealer is donating $500 toward the purchase of this Segway. Five hundred dollars, as well.
YoE
Im knocking off 50 bucks from macgeek, and all you all. I have a 15 day window, its still 1175.00.
p.s. It's not for sale.
ask your wife, J. I think she will agree.
Crash

Last edited by Mr_Laurenzano; 02-10-2008 at 09:13 PM.. Reason: I take checks. and ship labels.
Mr_Laurenzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 09:37 PM   #13
RAG1247
RAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud ofRAG1247 has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Payne View Post
Well, now with Crash's generous offer, we have two Segs to shoot for.

A dealer has offered an i2, with the following provisions:

He has offered to sell us this new i2 for $4250.00. Four thousand, two hundred and fifty dollars.

Either myself and/or the person of this dealer's choice verify Jeremy's claims. As the dealer said, that dealer quoting Ronald Reagan: "Trust, but verify."

Jeremy, you must contribute at least 10% of the money which, for the purchase price of the Segway would be $425.00. Four hundred and twenty-five dollars, and pay for the shipping, which would bring your total to $500, or Five hundred dollars.

All monies must be collected in 90 days. As the dealer said: if it ain't gonna happen in 90 days, it ain't gonna happen.

And one last thing...

So, shall I set up a PayPal account for donations?

Jeremy, if this is a go, and donations are made through PayPal, if you've got other people, etc. who wish to make donations, they'll be able to.
for clarification, is the price 4250 less the dealer's contribution of 500 leaving the actual price to be 3750 or does the 4250 already include the dealer 500 contribution????

"If you can’t change the people around you, change the people around you"
RAG1247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:05 PM   #14
Eric Payne

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAG1247 View Post
for clarification, is the price 4250 less the dealer's contribution of 500 leaving the actual price to be 3750 or does the 4250 already include the dealer 500 contribution????
Very good question, RAG, and when he's open tomorrow, I'll get in touch with the dealer. I was working from notes and your question made me realize the order in which things were presented could indicate EITHER answer!

Thanks for picking up on that so quickly.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:48 PM   #15
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

As Eric mentioned earlier, when he created this thread he did request that I not post! I agreed this was a good idea. I just wanted to take the time to thank you! I would like to offer a special thanks to Mr. L for his generous offer. I would also like to thank the dealer for his generous offer. I would like to thank Karl, Eric, and Jonathan for your generous contributions. And I would like to also thank Eric for starting this request and taking care of paypal!

This community is just great! It is comprised of wonderful people who really have hearts! Just the mere support even in a non-financial way I have recieved from numerous members of this forum is much appreciated. I realize the request may be a long shot, but just the moral support means more to me than you all will ever know! Thank you all so much, you do not know how much your support in every aspect means to me and I look forward to seeing you all at SegwayFest!

With Thanks,
Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:03 AM   #16
Eric Payne

Default Update - Feb 11, 2008

I have to apologize to Jeremy and other members of this forum; here in Phoenix, our weather changed in the last couple of days, drastically, three days ago, at 10:00 am, it was 40 degress. For the last couple of days, it's been 80. When the climate changes that fast, my cardiopulmonary system can't keep up and I suffer. Today, literally, has been a day of fighting to stay conscious longer than an hour, keeping my system wet to avoid kidney failure, yet keeping it dry enough to not aggravate the CHF. So this update/posting being made very late.

I also apologize to not having been able to set up the PayPal account today; though I talked to someone at PayPal, I'm looking for a special type account, for which a "donation" button is placed on a web page. So, in order to get that done, tomorrow, I'm going to have to create a "Segway Donation Fund" page - probably on Yahoo.

I did make contact with the dealer who's putting up the i2 today - well, we played tag - and did determine that the dealer's $500 donation is in addition to the reduced price the dealer is offering on the i2.

But, Jeremy, the dealer insists YOU have to donate 10% of the $4,250 price on your own. So when (if) we get to the point where donations are at $3,825 for the i2 - PayPal will be instructed to accept no more donations. You will then have until May 10th to submit $425 toward the price of the i2; you will also, at that time, be asked to submit $75 to help cover shipping from the dealership to your home.

Now, today, there is another provision which I don't think is all that unfair.

If the monies should be raised that Crash's G1 can be purchased in the deadline given by Crash, the dealer wants us to go ahead and get that one for you, as the important thing is to help get you mobile again.

However, the dealer also expressed an interest in continuing this forward, and will make that same i2 offer available at the beginning of every quarter, if a suitable recipient can be determined.

For those who have asked - no, DRAFT is not involved in this in anyway, though any co-operation/advice they might offer will be very, very welcome.

Also, the dealer does want to remain anonymous, and the dealer's identity will only be made known to the recipient of the unit, should the funds be raised, as there are contractual obligations on the dealer's part that must be met.

I have a doctor's appointment in the morning (we're, presently, on MST). And, yes, I'm riding Gilligan to the doc and back (about 11 miles). When I get home, I'll create a Yahoo page, get in touch with PayPal, and - hopefully - will be able to direct those people who have pledged funds toward that donation page.

I've had people question my motives. I've had people, in my real email, question Jeremy. I do not know the kid, nor did he know anything of this. I just know how much Gilligan has changed my life... for instance, I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow which will, most likely, be followed up with lab tests. Just six months ago, Bill would have had to take tomorrow morning (at least) off work. Now, he doesn't.

Independence simply can't be beat.

As for Jeremy: I have told him I - and the vetter chosen by the dealer - will want to screen his medical records, police reports of the accident, contact his doctor(s), etc., and that may require one, or the both of us, to be granted some sort of temporary power of attorney be signed - as all this is being done long distance.

The kid agreed without batting an eye.

Yes, there is probably more to Jeremy's backstory than we know. I suspect many things and, if I asked, Jeremy would probably tell me. For instance, he's in his early 20s, if that, yet seems to have little to no family support. Anyone over the age of 40 knows there's a reason for that, and knows the reason probably lies with bad decisions the kid made, causing family animosities.

But there's not a one of us angels. Heck, I was born to West Virginia scarlet throated mountain people who worked their way out of it... but once they found out my orientation... mentally, right back to the hills. We haven't seen each other, and barely spoken, for almost 30 years.

To me the thing is Jeremy is currently mobility impaired. He has limited financial funds, and his ability to get funds is further impaired by his impairment. If I can help change that, I'm going to, in what limited way I can.

I like to think most everyone thinks that same way at times other than Christmas... if they're given the chance to think that way.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:51 AM   #17
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Getting him a Segway is good

But remember,

TRAINING is very important, especially with his special needs.

So make sure you plan that into the senerio as well.
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #18
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Exclamation Uneasy feeling...

I've been reading this thread for a while.

I've not posted until now, but I really thought I should at least raise my hand. I don't like the sound of this request. I don't have anything against Jeremy or Eric. Of course, I know neither of them personally but I simply feel the forum is the wrong place to pull something like this together.

To single out an individual in this way, whatever the situation of the individual, is just plain odd to me. There are lots of folks in need of a Segway, for lots of different reasons. There are lots of folks who need a lot more important things (relatively speaking) than Segways.

To club together as a group of like-minded individuals for a cause is an admirable thing to do. But then all the checks, gurantees and stipulations etc., just make it a little weird. Sure, you're helping someone out, and that's a good thing, but, well, I can't quite put my finger on it. There's something just not right with doing it on the chat like this.

Where will it end? Future "giveaways" for other members? Will it attract a certain crowd?

Deals like this need to be carefully controlled, and whilst Eric has set out a great list of controls, this is surely the kind of things registered charities should be set-up to deal with. DRAFT deals with veterens but they have setup the proper channel to support that kind of giving and I don't think chat is the place to do it.

Please don't shoot me down for this. It is just my opinion and in no way affects what you're all planning. Is anyone else thinking along these lines or am I just way off track (it wouldn't be the first time)?
Old 02-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #19
macgeek
Super Crazy
Segway Geek
macgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to beholdmacgeek is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member
Arrow no malice

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
I've been reading this thread for a while.

I've not posted until now, but I really thought I should at least raise my hand. I don't like the sound of this request. I don't have anything against Jeremy or Eric. Of course, I know neither of them personally but I simply feel the forum is the wrong place to pull something like this together.

To single out an individual in this way, whatever the situation of the individual, is just plain odd to me. There are lots of folks in need of a Segway, for lots of different reasons. There are lots of folks who need a lot more important things (relatively speaking) than Segways.

To club together as a group of like-minded individuals for a cause is an admirable thing to do. But then all the checks, gurantees and stipulations etc., just make it a little weird. Sure, you're helping someone out, and that's a good thing, but, well, I can't quite put my finger on it. There's something just not right with doing it on the chat like this.

Where will it end? Future "giveaways" for other members? Will it attract a certain crowd?

Deals like this need to be carefully controlled, and whilst Eric has set out a great list of controls, this is surely the kind of things registered charities should be set-up to deal with. DRAFT deals with veterens but they have setup the proper channel to support that kind of giving and I don't think chat is the place to do it.

Please don't shoot me down for this. It is just my opinion and in no way affects what you're all planning. Is anyone else thinking along these lines or am I just way off track (it wouldn't be the first time)?
When I got Jeremy's first email, I felt the same way, that this is some kind of scam
but in reading his posts, I feel he really is sincere.
In truth the $20 - $50 we are 'kicking in" is a drop in the bucket for most of us
(after all, we DID buy a $5000 segway) and it makes us feel good to help someone out
what price do you put on US feeling good about something, and it helps someone?
Thats a (to use a jewish term) Double 'Mitzfa'

We have raised money before for another segwaychat member

Jonathan

Segway "Let the good times, roll"
YES! I AM! the Super Crazy - Segway Geek since 2004

Top 7th Poster - Top 8th Reputation, I must be doing something right™

Segway Chat Awards 2006:

Most Outrageous Pimping Award - Winner
Funniest Post - runner up
Most Flamboyant Signature - runner up
Most Original Avatar Award - runner up

Segway Chat Awards 2007:

Most Original And Impressive Re-Pimp of a Segway - I think thats done!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
macgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 06:27 PM   #20
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

One of my first posts was an April Fools joke asking all the rich folk on the board to buy me a segway. It took people a while to get it was a joke (because of the time difference etc - I posted at 00:00 here on 1st of April) and some of the responses have stuck with me.