SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #11
Logik
Logik is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks everyone. I always figured one day I might get a little opposition somewhere, but didn't think it would involve someone coming at me like that. I knew that if the time came and an establishment wouldn't budge that I would attempt to get the local paper and news stations involved. The news stations have "action teams" that go to town on personal rights cases, stores that won't honor returns, utility maintenance ripoffs, etc. Either they'd jump on an accessibility issue like a dog on a biscuit or they'd run and for the hills because of the volatility of such an issue.

I figured it would go without saying because of where I posted this ("Segway for disability" locations), but I should (have) point(ed) out that this involves Segways as mobility devices. It's not an open policy to all Segway usage. Don't need their stores suddenly flooded with Segways. Heh.

And, yeah, I won't say that I didn't get a second look the times I was in there before that, because I get second looks from every single person in every single place I take it into (I didn't get a hassle there in my visits before then, though). I don't mind the looks so much. It's pretty shocking if you've never seen one before. I welcome the *genuinely curious and reasonable* questions about both the device and my reason for using it. Example:

Shirtless tough guy in front of Target as I was rolling in, right before the incident (believe it or not): "Yooo! What the F**K?!?" [Not welcome]

Home Depot employee that day, before Target: "Wow! That's so cool! How's it working out for you?" [Welcome]

Little girl, to her mother, as I was leaving Target: "Mommy. Does he use that because his feet don't work" [Welcome. I smiled so the woman wouldn't be embarrassed. Kids are so curious. ]

I'm pretty sure the confrontation with the Target woman helped to push the issue forward. It went well beyond policy and into discrimination. The company knew they had trouble on their hands and that I (we) were deadly serious. I figure all we need for Mickeyville now is for Pluto, Sneezy, or maybe Cinderella to accost me and we'll be in business.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:14 PM   #12
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

You're right. The woman was coming at you with her assumptions about the way things should be instead of facts about how things really are. She berated you for what appears to be quite some time, trying to rationalize all the different reasons why you should be using something else, like your cane perhaps. What a bitchy girl, seriously. I wonder how the rest of her life is outside of Target.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:18 PM   #13
BillK
BillK will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

One issue that I have in MOST stores (I usually do NOT take the Seg into stores for this reason) is that they have tile floors - and tile floors with even a LITTLE bit of water become VERY slick - well - you know the obvious result of a very slick floor and a Segway.
Bill
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 07:04 PM   #14
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
... well - you know the obvious result of a very slick floor and a Segway.
Bill
Or you can ask Paris Hilton,,, (Simple Life segment showing her busting her butt while swabbing the deck)

[who, me? retired Navy?]
Five-Flags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:03 PM   #15
Logik
Logik is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
One issue that I have in MOST stores (I usually do NOT take the Seg into stores for this reason) is that they have tile floors - and tile floors with even a LITTLE bit of water become VERY slick - well - you know the obvious result of a very slick floor and a Segway.
Bill
Yeah. The only one that really scares me is Kohl's. Those tiles are like glass. When it rains or during the winter, I just spin on the rug mats most stores have inside their doors till the tires are dry. Heh.

I do always watch the floors, though, no matter the case. Unless it's Target. There, I like to tear through the aisles and try to dodge people.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #16
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member Segway Polo Player
Default rep points

damn...I nearly forgot to rep point you for your efforts! Sheesh...I'm getting slow in my old age!!

ps - Check out all the positive comments people made about you by logging into Segway Chat and then hitting User CP on the menu bar at the top of the page (right next to FAQ, Members List, Calendar, New Posts, etc).
polo_pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:01 AM   #17
cruiter
cruiter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I have been in our local (Cumming GA) Walmart on my i2 with out a problem. When I entered, I asked the lady near the carts that looked like she had been ready to say something "What direction to your bicycle pumps")? Floored with my question, she just stammered and directed me to the bike area. I road very slowley and had fun with a short demo to two employees. I didn't buy their pump and left the same way. No problem. I don't use it for a handicap or pretend to. I just wanted to act like a normal shopper and see how it went out of curiosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcanGlide View Post
Hmmm.........very interesting. I have been in our new Target store and was never given a second look. I guess it depends on the mentality of the "one in charge." Now Wal-Mart........that was my "Target."

Frank

" We know that communication is a problem, but the company is not going to discuss it with the employees." (Switching supervisor, AT&T Long Lines Division)
cruiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:33 AM   #18
polo_pro
Advanced Member
polo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of lightpolo_pro is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo View Post
damn...I nearly forgot to rep point you for your efforts! Sheesh...I'm getting slow in my old age!!

ps - Check out all the positive comments people made about you by logging into Segway Chat and then hitting User CP on the menu bar at the top of the page (right next to FAQ, Members List, Calendar, New Posts, etc).
Hmmm...I seem to have gotten rep points for this post (according to my User CP). The person didn't put their name in the comment, so I'll just say whomever might have been trying to also give Logik rep points should do so again. Make sure to hit the little scale icon on the left side of one of HIS posts above.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:47 PM   #19
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Thank you, Logik. It will be more difficult for store chains to exclude Segways after a history of Segs in Target stores operating without incident.

Target may carry products with imperfections, but there is nothing wrong with their way of thinking. I hope other chains will follow.

Tim
Timezkware Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:40 PM   #20
polo_pro
Advanced Member

Default Due diligence

Logik, I'd like to request that you follow up with your local Target. Please have them save you the "segway policy" letter/email. If possible, please reprint it here, and if possible, with the person within Target who'll field the internal inquiries about segways from other Targets around the country.

I know I'm asking alot. But with this information, other disabled gliders can quickly and easily retrace your steps. This helps them immensely when they run into problems at their local Target. Remember, not all folks are as adept as you've been at dealing with the bureaucracy of a large corporation!